We might stop diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In Open Water dive 3 (PADI) you are required to demonstrate achieving neutral buoyancy by oral inflation of the BC. You have also demonstrated this skill in the pool.

[video=youtube;hfnEuRA7-vo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hfnEuRA7-vo[/video]When ever people tell me how crazy I am to be diving cause I could die. I tell them how dangerous my everyday job is, but I'm not going to stop doing it! So why would I quit diving!! This is not me, but this could happen to me at any time. [video=youtube;FMb5zhtR8hw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=FMb5zhtR8hw[/video]

But many, many more people drive cars than dive, so this is not a good comparison. We would have to know what percentage of people die in cars vs diving and as the poster pointed out, we don't really have that information.

I gotta chuckle whenever I hear folks in the USA talking about how dangerous it is to drive here. I used to think that ... then I started traveling to other parts of the world, and that's when I learned to appreciate how orderly and well-behaved our drivers here in the USA really are by comparison.

The first time I went to Taiwan I considered renting a car. My friends who were from there told me I don't want to do that ... take public transit, or hire a taxi. I said "I lived in Boston for 23 years ... can't be worse than that". They said "you can't imagine". They were right ... I couldn't imagine ... I ended up giving the taxi driver a big tip for getting me to my destination alive ... :shocked2:

And then I went to Indonesia ... :shocked: ... getting from the airport to the hotel was definitely the most dangerous part of our recent dive trip there ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

In three weeks in Bali I actually saw two accidents happen. I once thought I would drive anywhere - Indonesia - forgetaboutit. Driving is a contact sport there.

This is an interesting point. While I am OK with driving at home in most of the countries that I have traveled to dive to driving has not seemed like a good option. It seems likely that BillSF has found ways to drive at home in San Francisco which is in some ways challenging due to hills and traffic. Of course the local diving in Monterrey is challenging as well due to the cold water an the exposure protection required. There are ways of mitigating risk, but even so we have to acknowledge they will not always work. When I lived in western New York avoiding driving on snow and ice seemed like the best option. And are days when calling the dive and going to Starbucks is the best option. But there are still very good days of diving. Collectively we will not always make the right call when to dive and when to hang back, but on net choosing to dive, choosing to live, seems best.

Maybe in the end having better ways of knowing when to call the dive is the solution.

In Open Water dive 3 (PADI) you are required to demonstrate achieving neutral buoyancy by oral inflation of the BC. You have also demonstrated this skill in the pool.

On CW #1, I introduce the BCD to the students, and I show them how to orally inflate.

On CW #2, students are required to disconnect the inflator hose under water. Thjey then do an ascent. With the inflator hose unconnected, I require them to inflate the BCD orally.

On CW #3, students must come to neutral buoyancy through oral inflation. Then they do a CESA. When they reach the surface, I have them orally inflate the BCD. It is not required at that point, but I require it, since in theory their BCDs are empty.

On OW #3, they must come to neutral buoyancy through oral inflation.

During the OW dives, the must do a CESA and do an oral inflation on the surface.

By the time they are done with their training, students should have a pretty good sense of oral inflation.

Smiling and talking are both emergencies - so thats fine :p

If I smile or laugh my mask floods so I just sing and do dances of joy.

As for CW#3, I just can't recall orally inflating my bc at depth but must have done. Yet even all these years later I remember everything else you folks are describing. Our cesa was actually done in a couple of ways. Being in the pool not quite deep enough to really get a sense of it, we also had to cesa horizontally the length of the pool. It wasn't a very long pool. We did dome kind of cesa in our OW to but because of safety concern it wasn't a true cesa either. I don't recall how we did it. Did we call it blow and go?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom