We might stop diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"And of course more people die yearly driving cars. There's about a zillion driving hours logged in North America every year. There's what, a few hundred thousand diving hours. It's a totally bogus comparison."

I thought about the above quote for quite awhile before responding. It is true, to a point, but I bet that we still lose more divers to car accidents than to diving. I enjoy my diving hours but despise most of my driving hours. I don't think the comparison is completely bogus. Living in the USA you have about a 1 in 10,000 chance of dying in a car accident every year. It is just a risk we ignore even as we all lose personal friends to it. Then we hear about someone dying diving and it scares us. Life is dangerous.

Such accidents make me assess the sport from time to time, it's especially unnerving when it is somebody who is very experienced and the exact cause remains unclear. I've always approached it as a bit of risk sport just by virtue of the fact that it places a person in such a foreign environment. I guess everyone has their own idea of risk and when to call it quits. My cousin got tangled in some wire in a quarry and decided to thumb diving forever. I spoke with another diver recently, I think he said he was an instructor, who had a DCS scare and almost gave it up- but now limits his diving to shallower depths. I haven't been spooked severely yet, and I love diving so I can't fathom giving it up...but who knows. Bottom line though, if you're anxious going on dives then you're not having fun- so then what's the point of doing it really.

Thanks for reading this far.

- Bill

Bill,

I haven't read many of the other responses, as I don't really see this as a thread style conversation. However, I do wish for my response for your concern to be public.

Your concerns are very real, absolutely they are. And as a few have said, only you can decide. Every decision in life, as I'm sure you are aware, is risk vs reward. These are our basic human instincts, and in this case, self-preservation applies very heavily.

I'm not going to encourage you to keep with it, nor will I tell you to get out while you're still alive. I simply want to commend you for your honesty with the situation. Whether you're looking for encouragement, statistical rationalization, or simply validation, only you can determine that. The point is that you have a realistic fear, and you've voiced it amongst your peers. Good on you. In my opinion, this is EXACTLY what safe diving is about. Take that for what you will.

Best of luck in your decision process. You have my respect and support no matter what you decide.
-Luke

Bill, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I knew Quero only slightly through PM's, and we had planned to dive together when she last visited Hawaii, but we could not get our schedules together for me to take her diving in Hilo; we agreed that it would happen "next time".

Her death shocked and saddened me, and your feelings are understandable. We all handle news like this differently. There is no "right" way, and maybe not diving again for awhile (or forever) is the right choice for you.

Me: I filled four tanks, and plan to do the dives I had intended on doing with Quero. I'll be solo, and able to reflect and peacefully enjoy the dives. She died doing what she loved, and would want her friends to continue doing what they loved.

Best wishes.

The fact is we are all going to die. Our decisions will not change that, they will only change the journey. Whatever you decide, I hope it ends up being a great journey.

If it bugs you this much...then yeah, time to hang up the fins. Me personally, I can't think of a better way to go than doing something I love.

I used to be a street cop and from time to time I would have to respond to calls in nursing homes. I absolutely HATED those places, the smell of piss and death just permeated the entire building. The old folks with yellow, paper thin skin and hollow, lonely eyes moaning and groaning because their families just dumped them like an unwanted dog or cat. No thanks...not me.

Dying a safe, slow, lonely death...now THAT'S what frightens me!

Like Neil Young said, "Better to burn out than fade away."

RIP Quero. I didn't know you, but I know what you loved.

Exactlly. To make matters worse, fear of getting hurt in any sport will almost guarntee you will get hurt. Lose it or quit

My fear is dying at work as a used up bitter old man who failed to live a life.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

Henry David Thoreau

Thanks for so many great responses! I particularly liked those from Mike, NW Grateful Diver, drrich, TS&M, … but many others were good, too. And all were respectful, I appreciate that.

I see that many of you were also saddened by the death of Quero, and most were sobered as well. And our sincere condolences to those who are struggling with disease, or who have lost loved ones. I know how both of these things feel!

A few comments on your comments….

Some of the comments compared diving to alternatives like Doritos, knitting, or not living at all. Those are false comparisons for us. If we stop diving, we wouldn’t be sitting eating Doritos, or simply spending more time at the office. We have a full life. Diving is part of that, but it is not the most important thing, or even the second most important. We would be doing the things we love to do together (key word: together) … like seeing nature in any form (hiking, biking, travel, wildlife watching, …). we plan to move to Africa, then to France for a year or two after we both retire …. we love classical music …. I could go on ….

Yes, living is inherently dangerous. We must accept risk as a fact of living. But that does not mean we accept any risk no matter how large, if it offers us pleasure in return. Some folks are willing to accept the risks for motorcycle riding, skydiving, etc. – not me. Thrill sports have never been my style. Being “at one” with nature is more my style.

We are not thinking of death every time we enter the water, nor every time we get up in the morning. But there are quite a few candles on the cake, and we do want to maximize our healthy together time. After reading all the comments, I realized that whether diving is, in general, safe, is not the primary consideration. Whether diving is safe for us is the primary consideration. Mike’s comments on Rescue Diving course hit home. We are going to look for a few more well-taught courses before we decide to maybe hang up the regs for good. We’ll try one more time, maybe even two or three more times. But we do need to get a better handle on the risk of diving, and I’ll say again that the scuba industry has not been very helpful in this regard.

It still bothers me that even experienced divers die diving. Not just Quero, either. I dislike those comments above that seemed to have a tone akin to "they should have been smarter than that". That's the point, friend! Quero was smarter than that. But something else happened -- we may never know what. This "something else" (panic, perhaps) could happen to every one of us, no matter how well-trained.

Even if we get the best possible training, we could still succumb. After the course(s), we still have to evaluate our skill and comfort about diving. I have experienced a level of panic (call it very high anxiety) that need not have occurred given the circumstances, but then again could have been much worse if the circumstances had been a bit more challenging. Obviously, I am not the only one! Again going back to Mike’s response, our disposition to panic might be too much to continue. I am aware that sometimes panic can be generated from not knowing what to do – so maybe the Rescue course will help with that.

For now, we plan to continue, especially with training, and with strict limits for visibility. We’ll re-evaluate after that.

Thanks again for all your thoughtful comments.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom