We might stop diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw this thread last night and it was the first time I became aware of the sad passing of Quero. My thoughts are with Marcia's family and friends, and all those who have been affected by her passing.

I have not read much of the discussion thread as it is now at 59 pages and I do not particularly fancy sifting for facts that are in amongst the conjecture and argument also contained in that thread. I cannot therefore comment on the specific circumstances and say whether her tragic death could have been avoided or not.

There is a saying I heard a while back, and like to use when somebody expresses concerns about the safety of diving:

"Diving is safe - as long as you remember it is dangerous."

Humans are not evolved to breathe underwater and when we do this, we are taking a risk. We are also not evolved to travel at speed or fly, however, we have developed mechanical means of doing these too. Cars and planes crash now and again, often with tragic consequences, however, can you imagine life without travel? There are ways to improve safety, be it in a vehicle, in our work or in diving and these are developed and implemented all the time. We will never lead a life devoid of any sort of risk to life.

Also remember, people die all the time due to medical conditions or even for no apparent reason. I knew a lad who was sat at his dad's house with his two brothers watching football on the television. He was an apparently healthy 30 year old but just died suddenly. If he had been diving at the time, it would have made the national press and there would have been discussion on several internet forums.

Of course, being underwater could delay treatment of a non-diving related medical emergency, but so could being alone in your car or out walking in the country.

Whatever decision you make has to be yours. If you still feel the risks are too great, then I respect your choice; nobody should be diving in that state of mind. I would like to be able to reassure you that diving accidents are usually avoidable when we are properly trained, take care of our equipment and dive within our limits. I love diving and dread the day I have to hang up my fins. Whatever you do, enjoy life - it's the only one we get!

:)

I appreciate the op's position. As you reconsider diving, let me share that I am fighting a stage 4 cancer. I was recently released to dive, and am anxious to get in the water- have been doing pool work in preparations for a Mexico trip in November. I will be ultra conservative and I begin. I will stay near the DM whereas before I was the Dm. I will limit depth and duration untol I am confident of physical skills and stamina. But I will not stop until I am made to stop. Diving is my thing, and has been for a long time. I will give full disclousre to those I dive with. Tragedies happen in the lives of those around us. SOmethimes it causes us to step back and reflect, and perhaps change an activity. Foe me, is leads to resolve to enk joy scuba safely while I can, because there will be a time when I am force to stop.
DivemasterDennis

My son just died going to the bathroom. I'm not about to stop using the bathroom.

Life is never fair and quite often it's vicious and vindictive. I loved Quero. I loved my son. My life will not be determined by the accidents of others.

I dove with someone trained in the 90's, he was AOW. I asked him to help me with my weight belt getting it out of the way of the B/P. He asked why don't you just put it on before your B/P wing? I responded "Gearing up 101 the weight belt is the last thing on 1st thing off just like they taught you in OW". He insisted he was taught no such thing!?! Really? Not surprising so many divers are found with a weight belt on!

Although you were taught this way and believe it to be a generally accepted concept, there really is not universal agreement on this.

For most students learning in a standard BCD, it really doesn't matter, because it should be very easy to make sure a weight belt that is put on first id free and clear. Because it is easier to put the weight belt on first, that's probably how most people do it.

If you have a crotch strap, as you evidently do, it makes a difference. If you release the weights intentionally, the belt may get trapped as it falls, requiring a second effort to release them. That adds several seconds to the weight release process. On the other hand, if the weight belt comes off accidentally and gets hooked, then it provides an opportunity to recover it before going on an uncontrolled ascent. Some people argue that the latter situation is the more likely, and preventing the uncontrolled ascent is more important than a few seconds of delay in dropping the weights.

Bill,

I was gosmacked when I heard of Quro's passing. But I can die by many different ways, and sometimes without even really knowing I was in the process of dieing.

As many have pointed out the actual deaths by divers is relatively small and we on this board hear about it on a constant basis, but it's news gathered world wide and not just one part of the world.

I worry about death, having been on death's doorstep twice, I came to realization if I can die, I want it to be doing something I love and not laying in a bed unless I am super old.

If you do end up leaving the sport, I do hope you stick about here, and able to relay some wonderful dives to us newbies, I am sure you are a treasure trove of some useful information and tricks.

Bill, I personally think that people should have an ongoing conversation with themselves about the risk level that they are comfortable with in diving or any of the other activity. If you do decide against diving, I just look at it as thumbing the dive, good luck on whatever you decide to do.

You are just making yourself the decision that the old school instructors would force on you when they started with "You can't breathe water and any mistake you make can kill you, so...".

I've been SCUBA diving 50 years and have watched a lot of buddies surface themselves over the years and regularly evaluate whether or not I'm up to dragging my crap across what they call beaches up here and swimming out 300 yards or so to get to a good spot, may make my decision sooner than I would like,but not easier.

Bob
--------------------------------------------
A man's got to know his limitations.
Harry Callahan

That's my point, people, by and large, are not taught that diving can be deadly, they are taught how safe it is, and they are not equipped with the skills, taught and trained to the level required to be useful in an emergency.

Any activity has its own balance of risks and pleasures. If pleasure over-weights risk for you, go scuba. If not, then do smth else.

But we all eventually die and seldom we chose, how we die. I just heard a story yesterday how a man had a stroke and then he was dying a slow death for the 5 next years, draining his family emotionally and financially. Thinking of it, I'd rather die a quick death underwater than become a helpless wreck like him.

thanks for sharing your inner most thoughts..it takes a big heart to share your thoughts with the world.......may you be safe in all your endeavors.

I appreciate your position and ultimately if the risk outweighs the reward for you then you should not do it...

however, you also need to take into consideration the risk associated with the other activities you plan to replace diving with... you mentioned hiking... i read that 5 hikers were killed in Colorado recently, and so it goes with every activity... evaluate the risk verses the reward and you'll make the right choice for you and your family

We might stop diving.

I’m not sure why I am writing this. But if you want to comment, please read it through, and be respectful.

We love diving! Yet the death of Quero really bothers me. I am her age.

This is natural, Bill. Quero's death has shaken a lot of us, in no small part because many of us understand to one degree or another that what happened to her could have happened to us.

On the other hand, while we can learn from that and "tighten up" to make sure we don't fall into the same trap, her death doesn't make diving inherently any more dangerous.

There are risks in many things we do. I've personally never been close to death while diving, but I have been from riding motorcycles, skiing and during an encounter with an elephant in a particularly nasty mood.

But all said and told, I think my life has been richer for having ridden motorcycles, skiing and traveling in the bush-bush in Africa.

Our time here on Earth has limits. If we choose to live life to the fullest it can mean risking less life for a happier one. You say that diving has helped you and your wife to connect. That sounds like reason enough to me to accept the risk for what it is and to do the wise things you mentioned to limit that risk as much as you can.

Of course, you'll have to be the judge of that. After all, it's your life.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom