Wearing a snorkel in a pond

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've generally found snorkels to be somewhat less than useless. That may be a somewhat regional response that results from dealing with kelp. Nevertheless I cannot think of a single occasion on in the past 13 years where a snorkel would have been a useful or helpful addition.

Use a snorkel during classes, as it is required by SSI. Otherwise, I usually have a fold up one in my dive bag for a possible snorkel during a surface interval, but that is about it.

Use my snorkel whenever I'm on the surface. That's what it's for surface swimming. Free air is better than canned gas that costs $$. The only exception is rough water boat entries. I want to breath if I get knocked off the ladder.

A snorkle is used to swim face down in water, if you have no need to do that then there is no need for a snorkle, and it gets in the way when taking glamour shots under water. I only take a snorkle when I am snorkling, never when diving.

Use my snorkel whenever I'm on the surface. That's what it's for surface swimming. Free air is better than canned gas that costs $$.

In a calm lake, it seems like you might as well just use your mouth... Can get free air just as easily that way.
Personally, I plan to leave the snorkel at home- I grab it half the time I want my low pressure inflator, so I consider it a nuisance. Maybe after a few dives without it, I'll change my mind and add it back on.

Here's a PADI pro confession. I wear a snorkel when training other divers. I carry a collapsible snorkel in my pocket on other occasions. I think we can all admit that the snorkel on the mask strap can be a distraction, or an inconvenience. Diving without one is more comfortable. Comfort is not the only criterion here, but for me, when not teaching others, it is a big consideration. I wonder who else will confess to this view and practice.
DivemasterDennis

I disagree, for me personally the snorkel is not a distraction or an inconvenience. I have a large bore flex snorkel on the left side of my mask. There's nothing there to interfere with or distract. I don't even think about until I use it. The few times I did dive without a snorkel, I felt like I do when I forget to put underwear on. :wink: It's mostly personal preference. Personally if I have to swim 200 yds on the surface on a shore dive then I'm using my snorkel. This is the type of diving I have done for most of my diving "career". I considered it required equipment. After 35 years of using the same type of snorkel to me its just another piece of equipment. What I'd really like to leave behind is the #%^&#dive flag and float, that is something I usually have no use for but the law says I do. FTF!

I haven't used a snorkel outside of the pool since shortly after OW. When working with students in the pool, I have a snorkel on my mask, and I loathe it. It flops and twists my mask strap and makes my mask leak.

When working classes in OW, I have a rolled up snorkel in my pocket, along with a whistle and a couple of other items that we term our "PADI *&#". It's all clipped together so the whole thing can be put in the pocket en masse. That gear is never used for non-professional diving.

I have never understood the idea of snorkels in choppy water. If the chop is short and small, it's not going to be over my head for very long. If the waves are huge and I'm underwater for some time, a snorkel isn't going to help.

Back
Top Bottom