Weight systems poll

In terms of your weight carrying preferences, what kind of diver are you?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I prefer to not have any lead if I can help it, but if I need it, I use a normal weight belt. I don't like integrated weights and don't have any intention of ditching weight, just prefer belts to integrated weight.

Plus 1.

Worn both, prefer integrated. Especially for warm water diving and the minimal maybe 4 lbs of ditchable weight i will have in the pockets.

Depends on how I'm diving - warm water with a thin wetsuit, using my travel BC, I'm using integrated weights.
Cold water, drysuit or 8/7/6mm semi-dry, I'm using a DUI Weight and Trim along with the inherent weight from a steel backplate.

2 (& 3): Used both, prefer both (and plate) if lots of lead. Prefer weight belt if not neutral.

If I were neutral: no need for the weight belt.
No suit: Hmm. neoprene belt with ~5lb. Never dove that warm though. Or just plate.
Thin: high on plate to max out belt, weight belt.
Thick: high on plate to 'max' out belt, 6-12 lb. weight belt, integrated that easily removes from rig.
all with crotch strap that is D-ring and tri-glide free.

Tiny doubles: same, but they're no different than a single
Sidemount: spine pockets, shoulder and rear hip trim/ditch pockets, all on harness.

Warm water with only a few pounds of weight: I use the weight integrated system on my BCD.
Cold water in my drysuit: The weight is split. Probably 1/2 to 2/3 on a weight belt and the rest split between the weight integrated system and non ditchable trim weights.

In warm water I don't wear a wetsuit and I prefer integrated weights. In cold water wearing a wetsuit I prefer a weight belt.

A little bit of everything:

Started with a BC & Weight belt....

Got a DS and a back-inflate BC that was weight integrated.

Got a PB/W and got a weight harness.

Went to a heavy plate, and just use it for my DS on singles.

In warm water or wet suit dives, I use a BP/W with weight pockets on the waist and trim pouches on the cam bands.

Warm water diving: I prefer to use the weight pockets of my wing.

Cold water diving: Currently still using the weight pockets of the wing (with double tank setup) but saving money for v-weights. My undersuit, a Santi BZ400, still has to settle so I might wait for that to happen before changing my setup.

I used a normal weight belt for years and a combination of a belt with integrated weights after that. The use of a weight belt left my hips sort of bruised after every dive... not comfortable at all.

Coldwater diver, so....
Sidemount: all weight in harness
Backmount doubles: no ditachable weight, v-weight is all that is needed
Backmount single: BP/W with weight belt and trim pockets. I've recently switched to this, and found that I like it. I've seen that people lose weight pouches on occasion.

Back
Top Bottom