Weight systems poll

In terms of your weight carrying preferences, what kind of diver are you?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought a weight integrated bcd when I was a beginner, but never used the system, always preferred a weightbelt. I still use a weightbelt on my backplate-wing. I need 3kg v-weight and in winter another 2-4kg on a weightbelt with a twin12 steel and drysuit in cold water.

I use a SS B/P a weight belt, and weight pockets (non-integrated) on my harness belt. I spread my weight out and use what works for me. With my STL 96 I just use the B/P and weight pockets, with my STL 50's and STL72's I use all three, and with a dry suit I add a harness to my weight belt and 1/2lb ankle weights to get my boots neutral.

Warm water: all weights in the cam band pockets on my bp/w
Cold water: weights in the cam band plus added integrated/ditchable weights on the harness - harness weight pockets are removed for warm diving, unless I feel like using them to carry stuff that doesn't attach well to D rings. I don't dive a dry suit so haven't had to address that aspect of weighting yet.

I've used jacket BCDs with the integrated weight system and they worked well but I hate the puffy poodle feeling and how restrictive jackets are in general.
I've used weight belts but end up with really bad bruises on my hip bones - I suck it up for freediving but want to be as comfortable as possible for scuba.

Warm water: all weights in the cam band pockets on my bp/w
Cold water: weights in the cam band plus added integrated/ditchable weights on the harness - harness weight pockets are removed for warm diving, unless I feel like using them to carry stuff that doesn't attach well to D rings. I don't dive a dry suit so haven't had to address that aspect of weighting yet.

I've used jacket BCDs with the integrated weight system and they worked well but I hate the puffy poodle feeling and how restrictive jackets are in general.
I've used weight belts but end up with really bad bruises on my hip bones - I suck it up for freediving but want to be as comfortable as possible for scuba.

My wife likes her weight belt with soft weights in pockets that I made for you years ago.

My wife likes her weight belt with soft weights in pockets that I made for you years ago.

The soft weights are a lot more comfortable but I still tend to end up with sore spots from the pressure/weight (I have boney hips). Maybe I just need to do a custom setup with lots of little pouches so the weight is more evenly distributed all the way around instead of concentrated in a few places.

About half my weight is on cam straps. The other half is in pouches on my harness waist belt and so is ditchable. No survey selection for this.

I use a bit of both. Some weights integrated in the BCD and some on my belt. Not enough weight on my belt to be negatively bouyant without the BCD. Also use a steel tank which reduces the amount of lead I have to carry.

I have two Halcyon trim weight pockets on my upper cam band and either two on my waist belt or one plus the weighted bellows pocket. For the amount of weight I need in 3mm or 5mm suits, I find the ACB pockets to be unnecessarily bulky. I might change my mind with the new Deep 6 7mm suit.

I prefer "integrated" as in the dive-rite or other brand addon pouches. The belt feels like an unnecessary complication. I replace my pouches every 5 years so I don't end up losing a pouch. That's a whole lot easier to swallow than replacing a $500+ bcd for the same reason.

If I am diving local salt water I just wear a steel plate and no lead at all - that's the bestest.

Back
Top Bottom