What are your biggest pet peeves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Dilbert" refers to them as "Toppers". No matter what you say, they've done it more, longer, faster, better, cheaper . . .

Next time you run into one, tell him/her, "I donated a kidney." :giggle:

I bet sooner or later you will find one that will say i donated my heart :D

Or buddies that swim so fast I can't keep up with them, and don't slow down when they see that I'm trailing behind them.
Oh dont you know scuba diving is a race :p I hate it when my dive buddy also does that! But usually the ones that do that are the newer divers that still haven't fully realized that slow diving is longer diving.

The complete ignorance and lack of understanding that the ocean
does far more damage than old klutzy Polish people with cameras

Yes, but that's "natural". It's ok for turtles to lay on fan corals and munch on sponges. And for rays and bone fish to stir up the sand bottom. But PEOPLE !!??? No way. Imagine if fish could just swoop in and slime the floor in a mall, and then leave. How would we like that?

Yes, but that's "natural". It's ok for turtles to lay on fan corals and munch on sponges. And for rays and bone fish to stir up the sand bottom. But PEOPLE !!??? No way. Imagine if fish could just swoop in and slime the floor in a mall, and then leave. How would we like that?

Ignorance is bliss.

Using a little common sense and a couple of searches on the Internet I can tell you a few things to dispute your claim.

A: there are about 2 million sea turtles on the planet. There are over 15 million PADI certified Scuba Divers. While the divers aren't diving year round for the most part when they do dive, they dive on or around reefs. I have yet to see (in my very limited dive experience) more sea turtles than I have divers on any occasion. This lends one to conclude that any damage done by a turtle is going to be less significant than that done by divers.

B: the chance of a diver introducing foreign elements that a reef plant or animal has no defense against is exponentially greater than that of a turtle or ray. These elements more than anything are what do the most damage to the reef. That is why the "natural" residents do far less damage than divers. Or are you trying to say divers are natural too?

I have seen the massive damage done to certain reefs (the Great Barrier Reef comes to mind. Hard to find a good reef outside a live aboard Down Under these days) and the vast majority of that damage is done by humans. This is not in dispute but evidently these facts mean nothing when it comes to the "Me Me Me" attitude I frequently encounter today. I think this attitude would change once our favorite reefs are gone because we just had to touch them for our photo opp or to kill those pesky little "reef killers", lion fish.

Is it really going to ruin your dive when you can't touch the reef? Really?

Ignorance is bliss.

Using a little common sense........

Ummmm discokat....

The snotty tone of your rant above is one of my pet peeves...thanks for providing such an excellent example.

A. I didn't see where Hank49 looked ignorant or blissful. Since he has had >1000 dives, it could be that while you were doing a google search, he was doing an underwater exploration.
B. I don't see where Hank49 said that he HAD to touch a reef. Really.
C. Your logic on your point A above does not hold up. There may be (I don't know) 15 million PADI divers. How many of them were in the water 24 hours a day 365 days a year like a turtle? How many of these divers feed on a reef? Have you seen (or heard) a turtle chomping on coral?
D. What foreign elements are divers leaving on the reef? Are they not covering their nose when they sneeze?

2) Condom catheters that are too small.

Just dive in colder water...

You may have a point there. I dive with my boat and my friends or on their boat.
But still, no matter how my life has been in general, once I'm on the boat and headed out to the reef (which is pretty much every weekend), and then see the crystal clear water of the reef dropping into cobalt blue....it'd be real hard to piss me off.

I'd dare say you have that attitude because it is almost every weekend for you. For those of us who have to pay good money to get to the cobalt blue waters it's a lot easier to get annoyed, I suspect. :D

Ummmm discokat....

The snotty tone of your rant above is one of my pet peeves...thanks for providing such an excellent example.

A. I didn't see where Hank49 looked ignorant or blissful. Since he has had >1000 dives, it could be that while you were doing a google search, he was doing an underwater exploration.
B. I don't see where Hank49 said that he HAD to touch a reef. Really.
C. Your logic on your point A above does not hold up. There may be (I don't know) 15 million PADI divers. How many of them were in the water 24 hours a day 365 days a year like a turtle? How many of these divers feed on a reef? Have you seen (or heard) a turtle chomping on coral?
D. What foreign elements are divers leaving on the reef? Are they not covering their nose when they sneeze?

Perhaps you actually didn't read my post since you seem to have neglected certain points I did make or maybe I should clarify them. I wasn't snotty but remarked upon his obvious sarcasm (which you seem to have either ignored or neglected to notice) and blissful tone.

A: Not sure why having 1000+ dives has anything about being ignorant about certain aspects of what he or she is doing, if he never explored them. I learned basic things about skills I had used for over 20 years. You should always be learning, no matter how often you might have been doing it. I guess because I haven't had 1000 dives means I can't impart anything to someone who has. I'm glad I don't think like that in my own line or work or hobbies or I would never learn anything. Perhaps, just perhaps, I might have knowledge learned over years of experience that directly relates to what we are discussing, just not through diving.

A: I stated quite clearly that the 7x as many PADI divers per turtles (which isn't the only certification board) didn't dive 24 hours a day or 7 days a week. Neither are the turtles hanging on a reef that much time. However, when a diver DOES dive, he almost always does so on a reef (natural or artificial). I have taken video footage of a sea turtle chewing on coral (imagine that with my limited dive experience). It doesn't come close to measuring up to the amount of damage I have seen divers do in the same amount of limited dive experience.

B: I never stated that Hank49 (whom I quoted though I could have for several others who have expressed the same viewpoint) had to touch a reef. His point seemed to indicate that he didn't think it was much of a sticking point to touch a reef at any time, whether he had to or not. Really.

C: answered in point A

D: what foreign elements? I'm not sure how much turtles and other seafaring creatures are hanging out on land but it sure isn't as frequent as humans. Much like the foreign elements that were introduced to humans living on the continents called the Americas by those who traveled over from the Old World (or even the plague of the 1300s, Dingos in Australia, etc.), we as intrepid divers likely introduce elements that are not indigenous to the marine world and these elements might very well have a detrimental effect on the world we are visiting. I believe we could offer quite a few instances of these we have done in the recent past underwater with just a little thought on the matter.

I didn't mean to be so obtuse but the callous attitude remarked upon by someone with a considerable amount of respect and experience in the marine world doesn't bode well for the future of the world we are all seeking not only to explore but to conserve for future generations (I hope).

I notice you didn't remark upon my comments regarding the degradation of many of the reefs around the world, which have obviously been negatively impacted by human intervention. Seems you know quite clearly that our limited forays into the undersea world over the last few decades have had an enormous, and for the most part, negative impact on it but instead chose to launch a broadside at my "attitude" towards one member.

Most land studies indicate the Elephant is the second most destructive mammal towards the environment on land. Its damage is utterly insignificant to what humans have wrought. Hank49's argument is similar to this statement.

I'm sure after my 1000th dive I'll have the same attitude towards those who refuse to acknowledge the potential we humans have towards our environment, both above and below the water. I only hope that it won't take 1000 more dives for those who don't believe that to change their opinions so that future generations will be able to enjoy what we may take for granted in person and not through video footage.

I think maybe this whole little argument stems from a misunderstanding.
The way I read Hank's post is that it's okay if marine life damages other marine life since they are all part of the same habitat, but that when people do similar damage, it's a different story. I think his line, "But PEOPLE? No way," means that people shouldn't be lying on the reef or stirring up the sand.

discokat, when you misinterpreted Hank49's words, you did flame up some. So discokat, you do owe Hank an apology, IMO.

Ummmm discokat....
terrylowe, rather than just pointing out that discokat had misread Hank's post, you came back with another snarky answer, so terrylowe, you should own up to that snarkiness. For those who like folk wisdom: Two wrongs don't make a right, and when you wrestle with a pig, you should expect to get muddy.

This thread. :wink:
At least these last few posts.... and goes for any other thread where people post without reflecting on what they are saying and how they present themselves, though their words, to the world.

Back
Top Bottom