What are your biggest pet peeves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

and even if you've read about it somewhere, there's a big difference between knowing something from an academic perspective vs knowing it from the context of having experienced it.

They're not looking down on you ... they're trying to help you learn how to better take care of yourself ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Oh don't get me wrong, I really do appreciate the advise/warnings I've received about diving, dive sites and gear. I believe that the people I do know that have been diving for a while are an invaluable resource. The cut is a great example of the differences between academic knowledge vs. hands on experience. The VAST majority of my interactions with experienced divers have been very positive.

Having said that, there have been a few situations where I feel I have been dismissed due to my lack of experience/knowledge. Perhaps with specifics I could paint a more clear picture; but I don't want to get into that :)

Having said that, there have been a few situations where I feel I have been dismissed due to my lack of experience/knowledge. Perhaps with specifics I could paint a more clear picture; but I don't want to get into that :)

I think I get where you are coming from -- just because you are a new diver doesn't mean you are not intelligent or not reasonably able to apply common sense.

I think I get where you are coming from -- just because you are a new diver doesn't mean you are not intelligent or not reasonably able to apply common sense.

As the Russian proverb goes:

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean that they are not really out to get you.

By the way, The Scuba Snobs Guide to Diving Etiquette, referred to by me earlier in this thread, is NOW AVAILABLE on amazon.com or Barnesandnoble.com. 10.95- full of funny sories, mostly true, and rule to correct pet peeve behaviors. Go for it!!
DivemasterDennis

... but that says more about them than you ... and their loss. I've learned a great deal from less experienced divers.

Best example ... when I first met TSandM, she had less than 20 dives. One day I mentioned to her that within a couple years she'd be teaching me things about scuba. Didn't even take that long. Nowadays she knows way more on certain aspects of diving than I do. I can't imagine all the things I'd have missed out on if I'd dismissed her back then for her lack of experience.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

... but that says more about them than you ... and their loss. I've learned a great deal from less experienced divers.

Best example ... when I first met TSandM, she had less than 20 dives. One day I mentioned to her that within a couple years she'd be teaching me things about scuba. Didn't even take that long. Nowadays she knows way more on certain aspects of diving than I do. I can't imagine all the things I'd have missed out on if I'd dismissed her back then for her lack of experience.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I'm glad i started so young but fear with my short attention span, diving may get old, hopefully not.

Pet peeve....hmmm...holier than thou attitudes. I joke like i know everything but in all honesty I just love humor. I dislike people who swim off away from me, I will stay floating right where i am til they notice and come back (if they do) and then never dive with them again. Those air 2bc regulator things....Hate them and will NEVER dive one.

I'll suck air out right out of the BC itself (never say never) :wink:

Looks like all yall have enjoyed the post! I know I certainly have!

Thanks for all the great replies! :D

My newest pet peeve is divers who knowingly run into others to get a picture. My wife and I were recently diving when the divemaster signaled that she found a sting ray in the sand. This guy comes out of nowhere, cuts me off, almost kicks my regulator out and pushes his way to the front of the group to get a picture. 10 minutes later he ran into me again. During the surface interval, while this guy was bragging to his wife about his low air consumption, I pointed him out to my wife to stay clear of him. After our 2nd dive, we were floating near the back of the boat waiting to reboard when I noticed I kicked something underwater. I looked down and sure enough, it was him, this time with a pissed off look. I still don't know if he seen my smile since I had my regulator in my mouth but he moved away from us after that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom