What can or does your LDS need to do to EARN your business?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll start with my "old" shop that's now out of business:

1. Don't assume that because I'm a new diver I'm an idiot. If I want a backplate and wing don't tell me I need doubles or I'll die. Or I'll buy a custom FredT plate right here on the board and an Oxycheck wing and soon I'll know you were just trying to sell a BCD even though you had a full OMS setup sitting in the corner?
2. If my regulator's HP seat blows and I bring it in for service, charge for the service and offer helpful advice on care. Yes I bought it BEFORE I took OW course but I did not know ANYTHING about the screwed up dive business model. I paid good price for the service and the tech did a GREAT job! What I DIDN'T like was the nasty gram that came with my regs that stated "there was a scratch on the seat and it DIDN'T come from the factory like that" or "please don't let incompetents mess with the internals". Basically the guy accused me of tampering with my regs. I can get treated like that without paying for it. I've been servicing my own regs ever since except for my O2 reg my friend does it through the shop.
3. Don't mock me in a drysuit class and turn your head to me and say "unlike other students that like to brag about how little ditchable weight he likes to wear" while you try to sell bull!@#$ weight harnesses as we discuss drysuits. I don't know many divers that use them.
4. Your rental gear can be minimalist and basic but should be in excellent condition even for pool work. Torn diaphragms causing wet breathing regs, leaking hoses, not enough properly sized bc's etc. causes undue stress on new divers. And who would trust you with their gear if you can't even teach them in properly functioning equipment?
5. If you're going to sell gear locally then you need to have stuff in the shop. Yes it may sit there for awhile but diver's need to look at stuff, compare etc. If they have to go online for research (and that's a given) then they will just click a button and you've lost the sale. Better yet have both online and retail tied together. Make it work like the big shops do. You won't survive without a e-commerce site.
6. Don't make it hard for me to spend money. If I want a set of tanks don't tell me how you need to order them in bulk etc. to save shipping. I know how it works. Just give me numbers. I WON'T wait for 3 months until you find a bunch of divers wanting tanks. I'll spend the shipping money on gas, drive to PA and have tanks in less than 24 hours. Done.

I could go on and on but I'm tired :)

I ask this as a LDS. With so many people shoping at the on-line stores, how can one compete. We are an Aqualung Dealer as well as many other brands and we stock all of the new and current product offering. Having a well stocked and fairly price innventory doesn't appear to matter to the buying public. Having Master Techs on staff to service your regualtors doesn't matter.

What matters I ask? How can we EARN your business?

I do appreciate all answers and a constructive discussion.

Thanks

Ok its a simple but honest answer. I appreciate doing buisness with people who dont point out the negatives of the competitor. When I go in I dont want to hear things like "Leisurepro sales aqualung brand X for 100 dollars cheaper because they are a grey market." I would much rather hear something like "If you buy it here we will let you try out in the pool and fix any thing defective before you walk out the door."

Ive been to many dive shops and it seems more of a bashing the other guy then a friendly environment. I also appreciate when they hire professional people not people who point out how Joe diver is an idiot. I also appreciate dive shops who deal exclusively with free market dealers and not fixed price gougers.

I want to know when I go in there that they appreciate me coming in as much as I appreciate going there. I want to if I do buisness there alot get perks too. Even though it may sound silly but give a discount even if only 10 percent when I spend a ton of money in there.

Last but not least be trully willing to work with me on my available schedule and match it with theirs to meet in the middle somewhere for the dates I am available for training. Most dive shops want to do open waters on the weekends and schedule all other classes in the middle of the week evenings. This is just not feesible with me. I would like to say I can do a saturday evening and they look their schedule over and if possible schedule the class at that point in time.

I want travel friendly too. To go in and see where they are scheduling a group trip to Cozumel for example and work with me to get it lined out.

I also look for in the shop someone who is trully sales oriented not question me about every minute detail and make me feel as if I am being given a lie detector test.

This would win my buisness :)

And then there are some people who just like the comfort of shopping online. No matter how stocked your store is it will never have all the equipment I can look at, read about, and read reviews for then I can study by visiting three of four online stores. It is nothing personal, I promise. I have two local shops in my town that I equally like to visit; however, I learn about products online from SB, Scubatoys, LP, Divesports, Pirannha, and a few others. I can shop, read reviews, and write this post right here on the cell phone. It's simply how I like to shop buy it doesn't mean I have anything against your store.

That is amazingly a plus for me too is I can go look and window shop 24 hours a day without feeling like the shop is getting tired of me just gazing all the time at all the new toys.

The main reason you can't earn my business is the current dive agency / LDS business model is out of touch with economic reality of the average person / family.

Funny, we were actually just talking about this at dinner tonight.

The consensus: Treat customers with respect and make them feel welcomed. Anybody who walks through the door is a potential sale, and how you treat them can make a difference in whether they ever come back. A smile and a "hello" does a lot. Someone who comes in to kick tires may end up walking out with something, if knowledgeable staff answer questions pleasantly.

Keep as much inventory as you can afford to do. The big advantage of the bricks and mortar shop is the ability to handle merchandise, and try things on. If my shop says, "I can order that for you," I'm likely to look at them and say, "I can order it, too, and probably cheaper and faster than you can." But if I can buy it and take it home today, I may not make the effort to find it on line for myself.

Do good work. If you have a service department, make sure they're trained and careful. Give accurate estimates on time required for things to be done or to be ordered. Don't lie about it. If you tell me it will take two weeks and it's done in one, I'll be thrilled. If you tell me it will take a week and it takes two, I won't be happy.

Don't get up in arms about history. If I bring in a tank I bought elsewhere for a VIP, well . . . I already bought it; you can make the money on the VIP, or drive me out of the shop by giving me a hard time about where I got the tank. (BTW, my personal LDS does this beautifully; they have NEVER given me a moment's trouble about anything I bought elsewhere.) What I've already done is done, but you still have the option to land the NEXT sale, if you don't chase me away.

Don't assume every customer is ignorant or naive. People do their homework these days, and a lot of folks can spot a con job. I know the manufacturers want you to sell the high-end bells and whistles stuff, but it doesn't make me like you when I hear you pressuring new divers into buying stuff that they don't need and eventually won't want.

Feeling welcome, getting good and informed advice, getting good service and good information will keep me as a customer.

.......With so many people shoping at the on-line stores, how can one compete. .....
Your are correct .... people like to shop online, and not just for Scuba gear.
In fact, according to THIS ARTICLE, Online Sales are Projected To Exceed Over Half Of All Retail Sales In Five Years ....
My first advise? Don't blame your customers for using the Internet.
And my second? Don't blame the Internet. Embrace it instead! Use the Internet at your advantage.

.......We are an Aqualung Dealer .....
Make sure to read their newsletters .... :crafty:

.........Having a well stocked and fairly price innventory doesn't appear to matter to the buying public. Having Master Techs on staff to service your regualtors doesn't matter.
What matters I ask? .....
Ask yourself ... what is YOUR competitive advantage? Are you sure it is pricing?
What can you do better than the online retailers? Better enough to convince your customers to pay you for it?

One final thought .... IMHO LDS should mean LOCAL Dive SERVICE

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Don't hover over me while I'm in the shop. That really irks me. I enjoy looking at stuff online because I don't have a salesperson standing 2 feet from me staring at me. Offer to help, but then let me be when I am looking. Don't just stare at me like I'm a thief when I am looking at the stuff in a display case. Walk over and take out what I'm looking at without asking and let me play with it. I may not buy it then and there, but when I do I'll probably get it from you.
I have no idea how air fill/compressor costs are for a shop, but perhaps a good way to compete with the online retailers is to offer to beat the online price with free fills. For example: If a wetsuit is 400 online but 450 in your store, offer to throw in $60 worth of fills. I would have had to spend that $60 on fills anyway so I'm getting the suit cheaper and you are making a sale.

Back
Top Bottom