What can or does your LDS need to do to EARN your business?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hold raffles for items. You can easily pay for the cost of the item by pricing the tickets for what you can sell. Or have something that happens weekly to get your customers coming in weekly or at least twice a month. Buy some shirts or something with your logo on it and with every purchase over 10.00 you put their name in for a drawing to win that shirt at the end of the week.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, and in the big picture maybe the customer doesn't care; but I'm wondering if it might be good to know what kind of roadblocks you, the LDS encounter?

This could encompass everything from vendor issues, to employee training. My point is, what are the challenges you face, which prevent you from providing exceptional customer service?

Again, not that it's your customer's problem, but I feel that if I had a better understanding, my empathy and patronage may change for the better.

First off try to get a better domain name. I know you tried to get adventuresports.com. It's tough to find the good names but the "ofGJ" part is too hard to remember. The name has to flow better. Ie: Scubatoys, Scubaboard, Leisurepro get the idea? As far as the site when I go to Equipment - Sales - I should see nothing but gear and prices. If not customers will be gone in 60 secconds and on to something else. Just the way it is look at the other big sites.

Again, thanks for all the input (more than I would have guessed last night) and I will spend the time to read and re read all the post and look at the web page and get with the designer to implemnet some of the suggestions and update to our new logo.

Now to Craracer, the biggest complaint and issue we have is getting info from the manufactures reps. I understand I am just a small shop 4 hours from Denver and 5 from Salt Lake City, but I am a customer and I do have more of their product in my store than some of the shops in the "big city". In the almost 2 years that we have owned the store I have seen the rep from Atomic, not one time. The other reps maybe, maybe 1 time. But honestly we never see them. But that should not ever stop a shop from giving you a price on something that you want to order as I do have all the current price list, and I do order just about all product on line so I know if it is stock when I order it. What makes not seeing the reps hard is when they introduce a new product and great I got the brouchure but how about a little chat about features and benefits so that I can inform our mutual customer. Heck, we can even have a webinar to cover the new stuff.

Now I will not excuse any employees of shops that do not know their product. How can you talk to a customer if you dont know (this is a gripe I have with all industries). There are the books and web sites to get the info. Grab the product off the shelf and hold it, look at it. It isnt hard to be somewhat knowledgeable on our products.

I am a one person store, my wife and I both have other full time jobs, but mine as a mortgage banker allows a lot of flex time to work the phones and emails for my clients. But the store is open on time every day 6 days a week and to be honest, the customers know I am here early, since the truck is parked right out front, not a problem opening early and staying late. It is what we do.
But that is the end of that rant, the manufactures reps are among the worst of any industry I have ever been associated with and that does not nor will it ever excuse poor customer service from me to you.

oh and trying to hire anyone that is a diver and looks presentable, well that would be another challenge for the future and one I look forward to

Last edited:
This is a generic response, so in case other shop owners are reading this. Learn business. Not just scuba, but business.

How do these responses fit into your SWOT analysis?
What does your PEST(EL) analysis say about your business?
What is your COB; can you afford to compete with (or on) the internet? If not, why not?
Have you made it easy for people to spend money? i.e. Is there someone at the register?
Continue your own education, whether it is the seminar lite offered at DEMA or just more scuba training.
Have you reached out to other shop owners throughout the country & have a conference call every month or two to hash out ideas or solve perplexing problems?
Do you train your DMs with a number of specialties so that they can recommend different aspects of diving?
Are you saving for your next remodel of your store?

Other thoughts:
I understand that I will need to wait if you are busy. Your employee talking on a cell phone about last night's date is not "busy".
Bank a popular Nitrox mix that is appropriate to your area--32% where I live, YMMV.
Clean your store once in a while. Don't let grime accumulate on your displays.
Rethink the display lighting.

Best of luck.

Again, thanks for all the input (more than I would have guessed last night) and I will spend the time to read and re read all the post and look at the web page and get with the designer to implemnet some of the suggestions and update to our new logo.

Now to Craracer, the biggest complaint and issue we have is getting info from the manufactures reps. I understand I am just a small shop 4 hours from Denver and 5 from Salt Lake City, but I am a customer and I do have more of their product in my store than some of the shops in the "big city". In the almost 2 years that we have owned the store I have seen the rep from Atomic, not one time. The other reps maybe, maybe 1 time. But honestly we never see them. But that should not ever stop a shop from giving you a price on something that you want to order as I do have all the current price list, and I do order just about all product on line so I know if it is stock when I order it. What makes not seeing the reps hard is when they introduce a new product and great I got the brouchure but how about a little chat about features and benefits so that I can inform our mutual customer. Heck, we can even have a webinar to cover the new stuff.

Now I will not excuse any employees of shops that do not know their product. How can you talk to a customer if you dont know (this is a gripe I have with all industries). There are the books and web sites to get the info. Grab the product off the shelf and hold it, look at it. It isnt hard to be somewhat knowledgeable on our products.

I am a one person store, my wife and I both have other full time jobs, but mine as a mortgage banker allows a lot of flex time to work the phones and emails for my clients. But the store is open on time every day 6 days a week and to be honest, the customers know I am here early, since the truck is parked right out front, not a problem opening early and staying late. It is what we do.
But that is the end of that rant, the manufactures reps are among the worst of any industry I have ever been associated with and that does not nor will it ever excuse poor customer service from me to you.

oh and trying to hire anyone that is a diver and looks presentable, well that would be another challenge for the future and one I look forward to

Just my 2 cents on the matter but hiring a diver and a store employee does have pros and cons. I have read many a post on here from divers some even veterans. What I have seen in veteran divers tend to (not always) be sarcastic and know it all. For example just ask divers their opinions on nitrox and watch how fast so many so called veterans bash it instead of actually encouraging it.

It is possible though to find good divers who love the sport enough to actually be open minded and courteous enough to fit in well with a customer. I for one am not a fan of dive shops wearing tshirts for their shops (Unless its a tropical and hot environment.) I like to go in and see a nice pair of slacks and Polo shirts with the shop name embroidered. Since I am in the professional services field I also look for people who take the time to either shave or keep a neat mustache not the old biker look (No offense to any motor cycle enthusiast)

To the shop like others have mentioned a soft music at a reasonable tone to go with the staff makes all the diffrence too.

Too add to my earlier comments I do support the clean shop idea too. I dont like to go to a shop that smells like a mechanics work station and has photos that have obviously been hanging there since the 80s I like for a shop owner to take pride in his shop and occasionaly even get a can of yellow paint and repaint the parking lines in the lot at least every 5 years. Its just I expect a shop to be proud of the sport it teaches not give off the image "I only want your money" and "Im here for a check only"

One shop that has really dominated my opinion of LDS (Ill say the name here because its praise not denounce) but Blue Water Divers of Oklahoma City really impressed me for the reason of they have actually decorated the shop to appear tropical. I love going in and seeing the little thatch Gazebo inside with the hamock in it. It just naturally attracts any tropical ocean lover to the store. Ill even give the link so you can check them out yourself. Blue Water Divers OKC This is what I love a store to look like and feel like.

and know it all

I had been in and out of diving for 20+ years when my daughter got interested. She needed gear, and couple of dive shops we visited were rather overbearing. "This is what you want" was common. I already knew what I wanted. They pushed what they had.

Tired of the game, I finished our shopping experience at Leisurepro.com. Happy ending.

A clean shop???? LOL, yes I run the vacuum and dust and clean the class. To be honest, I do it for me as I am not fond of dusty stuff. I am shocked that this is even an issue, but then again I am not. We took over this shop after the previous owner had an accident and his family wanted to wait to see how things went. (he is still in long term care) So they had part time teen agers in the store none were divers and a "manager" that didnt know diving. We were in there one day teaching a class and this pile of "consignment gear" was sitting in the middle of the floor. You know what 6 weeks later it was still there.
My lease is up the end of the year and we are looking for a "better location" not prime but better. Like maybe something with decent carpeting

Don't charge me a $50 'hurry up' fee when I need my regulator repaired within a week. That's gouging and cost me any loyalty I had to my LDS. If they had to hire extra help, send it to someone else, etc, I'd understand, but they did it with the same labor, parts in stock, etc. It didn't cost them anything to do it within a couple of days.

Stock a good selection of gear and if you don't have what I want then tell me about an item and order it if appropriate. Don't push a brand or item I don't want when I ask for something specific - unless you honestly feel strongly the item I asked for is bad and then tell me why.

Don't assume I don't know anything about diving and 'talk down to me' (I might have hundreds or even thousands of dives). Even if I was a newby, talking 'down' to me is not the way to earn customers.

Service what you sell. Quickly and correctly.

Don't be surprised or offended (or act like I'm stupid) when I ask to hook up a serviced regulator to a tank and try it out briefly. I may have experienced a bad repair from your shop or some other shop in the past and do it for a reason.

Offer a 'dive in the pool' day once a month or so to try out my gear, etc. Great oppty to offer to let me try your latest fins, etc. (which I might buy), Note my LDS has a pool.

Show underwater pictures from your customers in the store. I like to look at them and wouldn't mind showing a few of my own.

Offer an underwater photo class occassionally, even if it is in the swimming pool. Choose a specific topic - macro, wide angle, post processing, etc.

Offer classes that experienced divers could really use - underwater photography, advanced buoyancy skills, navigation, dry suit diving (for Colorado, etc) - I am talking less formal specific classes on these topics - not just as part of something else, etc like some of what PADI, etc offers. I don't care about any sort of card, certificate, etc - I just want info I can actually use.

Honestly review the gear that you sell. Post some of the reviews by the gear. Something like what Amazon does.

Negotiate and sell DISCOUNTED travel (or at least standard prices). Marked up travel over msrp just pisses me off. I know what stuff costs.

I don't mind paying my LDS a bit more than internet prices. I expect to. However, if an item is double what it costs online, don't be surprised if I buy it somewhere else. Know the internet price for your goods and compete accordingly (ie. price your stuff between full msrp and internet costs). If you have to sell at full MSRP offer something else (service, etc) to make up for it.

Be friendly when I come in the store. Let me look around after asking if you can help me. Tell me about anything new and cool in your store and/or the industry. Tell me about any trip, etc the store is offerring (don't be offended when I can't or don't want to go).

Offer to let me use my gear in the pool to make sure everything is working if I tell you I am about to go on a trip (now that is a service I would use - AND it would get me in your store a couple of times I might not be there otherwise).

Take it further --- do you have beverages? clean, accessible toilets? reading materials? Do customers have a "space" in your shop to hang out, be they waiting on something or just stopping in to talk diving with fellow divers? Don't model it after the used car shop's waiting area, model it after the local small cafe. It doesn't have to be a big space. It has to be comfortable and inviting.

You know, there's a lot of truth in this. Years ago, I started taking GUE classes, and that puts one a bit out of sync with the majority of the dive shops in our area. But the one GUE-affiliated shop was a pit. The place looked like a garage, and to get to the sales counter, one had to walk over disemboweled scooters and doubles awaiting fills. The bathroom was filthy, and often had no toilet paper at all. There was little attempt to arrange inventory in an attractive fashion. When you added those things to the fact that the owner would sit on the phone arranging an event for four months off, while you stood at the counter with your credit card, waiting to make a multi-hundred-dollar purchase, it was a definite putoff.

On the other hand, my original LDS is beautiful. They have industrial carpet, but it's attractive. The walls are painted pale blue, and there are stained glass diving scenes in the windows to the shop and office. There's a lot of inventory and it is attractively arranged. There are nice framed photographs from some of the instructors in the shop and classrooms. The bathroom is immaculate, and large enough to use as a changing room for trying wetsuits and the like.

Why did I leave them? Another shop offered an "all you can eat" deal on fills, and also didn't give me a hard time for my diving style choices.

Back
Top Bottom