what course next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Packeteer....very noble and wise to have something to aim for. The question to ask yourself is what is it really you are after??? technical diving is a very broad term after all.

Just as an example, a good diving friend of mine got into scuba diving because he has a very inquisitive mind and enjoys reading about history. Therefore, it was normal that he tailored all his specialies toward what he really wanted to do...diving on wrecks (AOW, Deep, Nitrox, Dry, Search and Recovery, Wreck). To that he added rescue Diver and then applied for his Master scuba diver. I am quite convinced that he would probably have taken some technical courses to support his goal but this would have meant more time away from home and he is.....a married man :wink:

With close to 200 dives under my belt (Cold/tropical water, crystal clear to very limited vis, shorty/wetsuits/drysuits, single/doubles, air/nitrox, shore/boat, nature/submerged structures/wrecks, calm/current, day/night, swim/drift) and having just completed my Rescue Diver/DM courses, I am signing up for..........Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procs.

Others have expressed their personal/professional opinion on the usefullness of the Deep Specialty and I respect them. Personally, I do not have it nor do I intend to take it...I have been very fortunate to have very sharp and keen instructors that have gone beyond the minimum standards of the advanced courses that I have taken to ensure that I was not only thoroughly familiar with all the factors inherent to deep dives but also ensured that those were also part of my dive planning process.

I prefer spending time and energy (and resources) toward a course that will maximize my bottom time in order to allow me to look at or do whatever I want a do at certain depth than take a course that will only re-iterate what I have learned in terms of dive planning and allow (???) me to dive 30 ft deeper but with only a residual NDL of 8 mins (10 mins - 2 min descent)or so using air once I reach 130 ft or 11 mins (13 - 2 min descent) if using EAN 28 (1.4).

Keep in mind it is very personal and my aim or goal could very well be very different from yours. Having said that...perhaps the next course after this one might very well be cave oriented not only because I know a very good instructor but also because it would allow me to go ice diving locally with folks around here who do so using those principles and consequently do not dive on a tether thus enjoying greater freedom of movement.

So Once a week diving, equals 52dives a year. I know People who are doing that in 3-4months:shocked2:They still are practicing on skills before attempting to go onto another advanced class. What is your rush:shakehead: You have a timeframe or deadline, slow down man, enjoy the boat.

We generally do two dives a day here... So, 104 dives a year. :)

Enjoy recreational diving for a bit. On a few of the dives concentrate on your breathing and bouyancy skills (you will notice a big reduction in air consumption when it comes naturally).
Try to get your trim and weighting right so that you dive horizontally. If you can go on a dive with someone much more experienced who knows what they're doing to get a few tips. Soon you'll be very comfortable in the water, then it's time for Rescue course.

I'd skip the deep course. Then you have to decide whether you want to go the GUE/DIR road, or the more common TDI-type of tech. Depends what you are comfortable with and what type of diving you intend on doing. :)

thanks for all the feedback guys

fwiw, yes i do need to work on bouyancy and breathing, both of which require many hours in the water :)

There comes a time in your life when you realize you'd better hurry up and cover some ground cuz if you wait much longer your body may no longer be capable of your goals.

For some sports that reality hits at about 12 (Gymnastics) for others at about 102 (Checkers). Diving is somewhere in between.:idk:

i hope you're not calling me old :mooner:

i'm just not as young as i once was :D

Back
Top Bottom