what course next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

N
You learn all you need to know about driving when you take your initial license test. But that doesn't 'train' you to drive in the Paris-Dakar rally.

<snip>
As they say in Thailand... "Same, same, but different".

So we have a deep diving course that doesn't really have much to do with deep diving skills and a rally that has nothing to do with Paris or Dakar anymore. Seems apropos.:confused:

If considering any sort of tech course deep spec is worthless. Completely.

Just dive! You'll know when you're REALLY ready!

If considering any sort of tech course deep spec is worthless. Completely.

The OP mentioned that his LDS teaches PADI and TDI. If he chooses to go with PADI/DSAT to start tec, the PADI Deep specialty is actually required (or equivalent). It seems a necessary step in that case, but I won't comment on the specialty requirements... :shakehead:

Diving at recreational level isn't a good guide. The best bet is do the first level Advanced Nitrox/Deco procedures. This isn't really "tech" as such - its purely about hammering those basic skills and introducing multitasking and planning. Once you've done those THEN you can just go dive with a far better idea of when you'll be ready to go further.

Entry level tech would benefit any recreational diver, even those with no intention of going into technical purely due to the skill refinements.

I'm not "taking courses to get into the water" :)

Currently I dive at least once a week, but I'd like to do more (plus deeper/longer)

So Once a week diving, equals 52dives a year. I know People who are doing that in 3-4months:shocked2:They still are practicing on skills before attempting to go onto another advanced class. What is your rush:shakehead: You have a timeframe or deadline, slow down man, enjoy the boat.

Depending on where you live once a week isnt bad.

For most people in the UK they'd dream of getting 50 dives in a year given the weather and distance to travel every weekend (along with cost of fuel). Yet there are still lots of technical divers. Pure volume of dives isn't everything.

I cant see anything wrong with someone having a goal to work towards. Enter a basic course and a decent instructor will evaluate you. You wont be given a qualification - if you aren't good enough you wont pass.

What is your rush:shakehead: You have a timeframe or deadline, slow down man, enjoy the boat.

There comes a time in your life when you realize you'd better hurry up and cover some ground cuz if you wait much longer your body may no longer be capable of your goals.

For some sports that reality hits at about 12 (Gymnastics) for others at about 102 (Checkers). Diving is somewhere in between.:idk:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom