What did you buy that you regret?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Octo/inflator combo (Gemini). It was heavy, didn't breathe worth a damn, is not streamlined and I had to teach every one of my buddies how I would give them air during the predive planning. Waste of a goodly chunk of change...

the big AKONA travel bag . at first glance it's brilliant - a huge roller bag, with side pockets for your fins, a mesh water bottle holder, a separate pouch to hold the reg case which comes with it- a pocket to carry your dive log book with a separate carry case for that too - it's super well built , you can get ALL your gear into this thing, your clothing and some of the stuff your buddy couldnt get into their bag - it's built very well. why do i regret purchasing it ? it weighs a ton ! i didnt actually notice the weight myself - the airlines do - with stricter weight limitations on checked baggage - starts to make things like the weight of the actual bag count - the Akona gear bag weighed more than the items i had in it - and i've had to travel with it near empty by swapping to a regualr suitcase while on a trip to keep the weight down to permissable levels....great for local use - but not the best answer for airline travel where weight is measured.
cheers,
marc

I never understood the need for specialized travel dive bags with dive logos. The problem of what to do with gear when traveling has already been solved by regular luggage makers, and there is nothing unusual about dive gear that requires special luggage. All it does is attract attention for a potential thief looking for something of value to pawn.

Adam

Thanks to this board, I haven't yet purchased anything so no regrets! :) For those of you who regret the engagement ring (hysterical). . . I have to say, I don't regret my first divorce, nor second . . .

A snorkel that didn't fold up.

I hate snorkels with a passion...but as a soon-to-be divemaster candidate I need to accept the fact that PADI says you need it as a part of your gear. Okay...fine. I bought one that I can fold up and stow away in my BCD pocket when I don't "need" it.:)

That BIG f-off Aqua Lung wheeled dive bag my boyfriend and I bought for our trip to Belize.

Same thing...we saw it and went WOW! We could fit BOTH of our gear sets in there and have one less bag! Well...yeah, we could fit it all but we were so much over weight we ended up splitting it up into two bags anyway. Waste of money. I now have a Armor nice rolling duffel that I can fit only my gear into that isn't over the 50lb. weight limit.

Other than that no regrets. I love my split fins, console computer and my jacket BCD which others seem to hate on.:cool2:

I have been diving for years and I have bought what I thought was top of the line for me and my dive style. I do not regret buying a jacket style BCD as it was the most well known device at the time and for my location, nor snorkel because of the training I did it was a requirement. I have always spent wisely but well on regulators and instruments- in console fashion. Still no regrets because at the time I used them, they were adequate and suitable for me. I have had gear retractors, scum balls, a slate on a fastex quick release, suicide clips (I didn't know any better) on a catch bag. All of these things, even though I would never buy them now, I do not regret buying as I consider them instruments in learning what I like and to me enjoying the hobby of scuba diving.

BUT, I do regret buying one item- Scuba Pro Twin Jet split fins. These fins were too flimsy, even compared to my Aqualung Blade 2's, and they totally lacked power in current conditions. I purchased them for more power and less work, and admittedly because they were the new things on the block and totally went APA (against professional advice). Well, I used them for a season, I decided after the first try I hated them but I'd see if I got used to them; I didn't. So, off to eBay they went and I did get most of my money back. I do feel bad for the guy that got them even though they were in great shape but hey, everyone has to learn one way or another.:eyebrow:

Regrets - ScubaPro Twin Jets split fins, super pony tamer bracket, x-bracket, SP BCD, snorkel x 3, various SP masks, various Mares masks, 7mm farmer john and jacket, SP regs, last but not the least console computer.

OTOH I love my BP/W, Apex regs, OS drysut, 5mm Henderson Thermoprene, Aqualung Blades, DR sling setup, Oceanic VT3 wristmount computer, SeaVision Mask!

jt

I regret my purchase of two "Buddy Call" signaling devices. Why ? Because my buddy could not hear it when I was only a few feet behind him. Complete waste.

Fancy backplate harness. I replaced it by simple webbing, but good luck trying to sell the harness without the BP or wing.
Corrective mask - costs an arm and a leg and doesn't work as well as contact lenses and a regular mask.
Sealife camera and strobe - it's has none of the advantages of a really compact camera or a SLR, and the inconvenients of both.
Dive rite weight pockets. Seriously, how hard is it to make a compact weight pocket which doesn't sag?

(Edit: I'd regret buying a huge dive bag as well, but the blame is on the stupid airline policies more than on the bag).

Dive rite weight pockets. Seriously, how hard is it to make a compact weight pocket which doesn't sag?

Going along with the simplifying to just webbing, I went from the Dive Rite weight pockets back to a weight belt (under the BP/W webbing) and am actually happier with it ('cause if I have to take my rig off to turn around and get unstuck from something, some weight is still on me and my neoprene to keep me down). You might think about the same. The stitching on the pockets started to come undone anyhow.

Going along with the simplifying to just webbing, I went from the Dive Rite weight pockets back to a weight belt (under the BP/W webbing) and am actually happier with it ('cause if I have to take my rig off to turn around and get unstuck from something, some weight is still on me and my neoprene to keep me down). You might think about the same. The stitching on the pockets started to come undone anyhow.

I like my weights on the BC - less things to worry about. I'm using the small halcyon pockets now (without the inner pocket) and those are ok.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom