What do the ToS mean to you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for your kind words, MissD!

We have made many changes in the past and will be continuing to do so in the future. Again, if anyone has a suggestion on how to do things differently, please make a suggestion in Site Support, via PM or send me an E-Mail.

Another option is to just be honest, and say what you really mean. (like Kim)
And if you don't agree with somebody, just get over it.

I'm curious...how many "more polite" boards are out there? I have not seen them. As far as newcomers being put off, I think you have to season yourself a bit to be on any internet forum.

Freedom of expression comes with responsibility in my view. Yes honesty is important but the way something is expressed is also important. "Honesty" can become an excuse for being rude, or "mean-spirited." Context must always be taken into consideration.

I'm not sure what you mean by "season yourself". I think anger is one way to immediately turn a lot of people off posting, and in my opinion that's not what a forum should be about.

I'm not sure what you mean by "season yourself".

There will always be another angry person where that last one came from and changing the way you respond to them, is, by far, the most efficient way to cope with it. That is what I mean by season yourself. (As opposed to trying to devise a complex system to enforce emotion.) There are many "polite" angry people, that make their disdain just as audible as the shouters.

There will always be another angry person where that last one came from and changing the way you respond to them, is, by far, the most efficient way to cope with it. That is what I mean by season yourself. (As opposed to trying to devise a complex system to enforce emotion.) There are many "polite" angry people.

Actually I prefer not to respond to them, but I know others think differently.

You know..you pick and choose. For example, I don't go into DIR any more because I felt I had learned what I wanted from them. At one point, the chaos and banter were worth it because I wanted the exchange and the info. Then one day, I realized it was more of the same and that I was not constantly dying or getting bent or running out of air, and I did not need to hear all that any more. Still, I got a lot out of the posts in there at one time.

There are enough threads in here to find one where you are happy.

You know..you pick and choose. For example, I don't go into DIR any more because I felt I had learned what I wanted from them. At one point, the chaos and banter were worth it because I wanted the exchange and the info. Then one day, I realized it was more of the same and that I was not constantly dying or getting bent or running out of air, and I did not need to hear all that any more. Still, I got a lot out of the posts in there at one time.

There are enough threads in here to find one where you are happy.

You're absolutely right, and I've learnt now to stay away from the more "controversial" issues and threads. I've also learnt who I can expect a decent reply from and who I cannot :)

...that is the really satisfying thing around here, I find.
You get to know the characters, see them evolve, in their diving and their communication.
You can think short term and want everybody to be peachy OR you can mine what is "put out there."

If somebody is kind of mercurial and moody, it serves a function to see that exposed.--(especially if you were considering doing some tough dives with them)

...anyway, just my thinking. make lemonaide

Back
Top Bottom