What do the ToS mean to you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

......or PM the reporter, but, in the Mod area, we do discuss and address and come to resolve on ALL reported posts.
Then maybe it would create more faith in the system if you DID respond to the reporter with the facts of the decision. It's all well and good telling people that they need to report posts, and it's THEIR fault how the board is if they don't - but when they do....and never hear back.......don't see much change...etc etc.....how do you think that makes anyone feel listened too?

I'm not saying you have to agree with them.......

Just let them know something was actually discussed about it, and what happened.

Hell - I've actually sent E-mails I had no reply to.

That's down-right rude IMO.

Respect cuts both ways. If we need it on the board to get people to behave in a decent way to each other, then it should be obvious that it's given as well as asked.

It's all about example.

In fairness, having modded on forums and staffed in an internet game, it's not always practical to respond to every report. If all they had to do all day long was monitor the forums, it might be different, but the mods are volunteers, meaning they aren't paid for this. What this also means is that they have to make a living somewhere else, which, unless they're fortunate enough to have huge investments making money for them, they have to put in time at a real job.

They most likely have homes and families wanting their attention, too.

I'd venture a guess that this forum is very similar in that regard to the one I modded on; between trying to keep tabs on the multitudes of posts and respond to reports, some of which at least are going to be based on misunderstanding rather than outright malice from one person to another, there just isn't a lot of spare time to type out a reply to everyone who reports something.

Give the mods the benefit of the doubt. It's a tough job trying to keep tabs on such a large forum day after day. From what I've seen so far, they do a darned good job.

They most likely have homes and families wanting their attention, too.

I guess that is why I feel hitting the button is sort of silly. Do I really NEED some person out there to fix this for little me?
is it really important in the scope of life? I would rather not, myself.

Why not work it out yourself? Many of my favorite posters are people I have perhaps had run-ins with. I don't see how reporting is really beneficial.

I see very few trolls. In fact--I only see personalities. I have trouble with the wastebasket category of Troll. I am probably missing something.

It's all well and good telling people that they need to report posts,
Actually Kim,

I never used the word "fault". We take direction from the users and try not to assign blame. If we did, then it should be Kudos, for they have taken us in a WONDERFUL direction and we are the biggest forum for Scuba simply BECAUSE of them.

As for reporting back to the OP with our decision, well that's not always fair and quite often it's none of their business. We don't make the disciplinary actions of any of our users public. It's a privacy thing and the reason why we won't sell off our data base. If it's about a problematic post, then simply going back to that post and seeing what is done or not done will give you an idea about what we did. Could we do better? Possibly, and I am discussing this with the admins to see what is possible. We are a far cry away from simply getting e-mails with no internal follow up. Now when a post is reported, it goes to a central repository where we discuss each and every one.

So, you can say that I am lying, but the reality is that things have changed a lot since you were a mod. Mostly for the better.

Then maybe it would create more faith in the system if you DID respond to the reporter with the facts of the decision. It's all well and good telling people that they need to report posts, and it's THEIR fault how the board is if they don't - but when they do....and never hear back.......don't see much change...etc etc.....how do you think that makes anyone feel listened too?

I'm not saying you have to agree with them.......

Just let them know something was actually discussed about it, and what happened.

Hell - I've actually sent E-mails I had no reply to.

That's down-right rude IMO.

Respect cuts both ways. If we need it on the board to get people to behave in a decent way to each other, then it should be obvious that it's given as well as asked.

It's all about example.

As I understand it, the mods are unpaid volunteers, and as such their time may be limited. I feel they may have better things to do with that time than answering every individual report or email. I have had prompt response to reported posts, emails and pms to Mods, although they may not alway respond with a pm or email to me.

I guess that is why I feel hitting the button is sort of silly. Do I really NEED some person out there to fix this for little me?
is it really important in the scope of life? I would rather not, myself.

Why not work it out yourself? Many of my favorite posters are people I have perhaps had run-ins with. I don't see how reporting is really beneficial.

I see very few trolls. In fact--I only see personalities. I have trouble with the wastebasket category of Troll. I am probably missing something.

I see hitting the button as assisting those voluteer mods, just a little shout out to let them know they may want to look at a post or thread.
They may want to read every thread and post (though I doubt it) but I believe the members can post faster than the mods can read. And if they get past x number of reports on a post I imagine it goes right to the top of the mods 'to-do' list, although I could be wrong.
The quicker they find and contain a bad thread or post then the less time required to spend cleaning up.

I don't report just because I don't agree with someone, most of my reports are on obvious spam and serious ToS violations. But to correct another user publicly or personally could create more bad feelings than the mod taking care of it behind the scenes.

JMHO, YMMV :)

I see hitting the button as assisting those volunteer mods, just a little shout out to let them know they may want to look at a post or thread.
It's appreciated. :)

There are only so many threads that we can read ourselves...

I see hitting the button as assisting those voluteer mods, just a little shout out to let them know they may want to look at a post or thread.
This is SO true! What may take seconds early on might take HOURS if we don't nip it in the bud. Like the earlier trolls in this thread. They started multiplying quickly, and they were only a few minutes old. I simply dinked their posts with any responses and stopped the perp from posting any more in this thread. No fuss and no muss.

I must say, from his comments elsewhere on this board, he is MIFFED. Trolls are kinda funny when they don't get their way! You get called a big fat loser among other things. You try to reason it out with them and they just get more miffed. Oh well. I am fat, but my loser status is still in question. :D

Oh well. I am fat, but my loser status is still in question. :D

Years ago, Orson Welles was on the Tonight Show on the same night as Tony Blake. When Welles walked onto the stage, Blake blurted out, "Whoa! You make Wimpy look skimpy!"

Welles took his seat, and in his ever-so-smooth manner, simply replied after the model of Winston Churchill, "I'm fat. You're ugly. I can diet."

Blake fell out of his chair from laughing so hard.

:rofl3:

(The story attributed to Churchill was that a rather proper woman scolded him at a party one night. "Mr. Churchill!" she said. "You're drunk!"

"That's right," the Prime Minister is reported to have replied. "I am drunk, and you are ugly, but tomorrow I will be indisputably sober."

I never heard if the proper lady was as amused by Churchill's wit as Blake was by Welles.)

Then maybe it would create more faith in the system if you DID respond to the reporter with the facts of the decision. It's all well and good telling people that they need to report posts, and it's THEIR fault how the board is if they don't - but when they do....and never hear back.......don't see much change...etc etc.....how do you think that makes anyone feel listened too?.

Most of the time, a PM is sent to the reporter. If there is no response, it is usually for a reason, or an over-site. Not getting feedback from a reported post is an exception, rather than the rule. Maybe, in your case Kim, because you used to be a Mod, it was assumed that you didn't require a PM because you understood. If I ever have to mod a post you report (or one reported on you that requires action), I will commit to always sending you some sort of confirmation PM with as much explanation as possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom