What do you collect?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fmw625:
I collect those smashed pennies that you put in a machine along with $0.50 roll the lever and presto you have an oblong penny with a stamp of where you are. These used to be popular, don't find many now.

Come to Oahu! Those machines are everywhere here!

SueMermaid:
Squee, how many puffers do you have? I have had some in the past, I had a pair of spotteds for about 12 years and even got them to lay eggs, (believe it or not). They get *really* mean when they are guarding eggs, if you were curious. :)
I had one named Fatty that was a metallic green color and was the most splendidly healthy fish I have ever kept. Had him for several years. He lived in my lab and ate my experiments. (I work with flies). I lost him last year to a malfunctioning heater, my heart was broken. :frown: This is a very poor photo, but maybe you can help me ID him? I'd love to find another. (and another heater!!)

Sue,

to answer you first question, I have 10 pufferfish, but not 10 different pufferfish. 5 of them are dwarf puffers (carinotetraodon travancorius), 2 are Brown puffers (Tetraodon Turdgidus) that recently had to be separated due to constant fighting, 2 are golden puffers (Auriglobus Modestus), and my favorite is a fahaka (tetraodon lineatus).

The puffer you show in your picutre is an Auriglobus Modestus and are typically mislabeled in pet stores as a green puffer, or jade puffer. They can be somewhat hard to find, and I have never seen them labeled correctly, so if you call a sotre and ask for one, they likely won;t have a clue. It is truly a freshwater fish and not brackish. Most of my puffers are "rescue" attempts, as it is all too often that pet stores have many of these fish in brackish tanks, and then they wonder why they die off so quickly. I tend to grab the healthiest of the bunch and nurse them back to health. The fahaka was really cheap because he had infections and parasites. Now he's a hppy little bugger! I have a pic of him about a month after he kicked the infections and parasites up on a webpage I have devoted to him but haven;t had the time to update. It's www.fahaka.com if you are interested. He's much bigger than that now though . . .I need to take some new pics.

I almost forgot to ask, what kind of stuff do you do with flies? Genetics?

Thanks for the information! I really appreciate it. I Googled the name and that's exactly what he was. I know what you mean, I have seen a lot of mislabeled fish, and it's hard not to buy them all. I worked in a store and set up and ran their fish room for a few years, and it was satisfying to do things how I thought they should be done. :)

It's good to have the actual name, now I can ask my aquarist friend. She will probably be able to point me int he right direction as to where to get one.

SueMermaid:
Thanks for the information! I really appreciate it. I Googled the name and that's exactly what he was. I know what you mean, I have seen a lot of mislabeled fish, and it's hard not to buy them all. I worked in a store and set up and ran their fish room for a few years, and it was satisfying to do things how I thought they should be done. :)

It's good to have the actual name, now I can ask my aquarist friend. She will probably be able to point me int he right direction as to where to get one.

I have seen one or two on aquabid.com 4-5 months ago. If you have trouble tracking one down, that's a good place to try :)
Good luck in your search!

Justleesa, would love to come to Oahu. Would love to get some more pennies. Any good diving there. LOL

I collect ornaments from every place we travel. I try to find ones that have the name of the place on it. For example, on our trip to Avalon I bought a garibaldi that says Catalina Island. If I can't find an ornament I buy a keychain. When we put the ornaments on the Christmas tree it reminds us of all the fun places we've been. My favorite ornament is probably a painted glass humuhumunukunukuapu'aa (have to be careful with the cats though, they love that one too). I also have a Santa on a sea kayak ornament.

I also collect Paul Frank, Hello Kitty and Gama-go purses and T-shirts.

collecting geez to much stuff in reality.

-camera gear for what i shoot 35mm, MF and even larger format, none of it sits and collects dust because i use most if it on a regular basis (as an example in the past year i have shot 150+ rolls of film 35mm and 120 and 120 sheets of 4x5 film which keeps me in the schools darkroom alot developing and printing) and with all of the since being laid up from surgury i have been restocking my film fridge as of last count have 200 rolls of film waiting to be shot. oh dont worry i shoot digital to, i shot 30GB of pictures in the past 9 months which is going to lead to a computer collection soon if im not careful

-scuba gear obviously the list never seems to end (fins mainly)

-finally would be boy scout patches and OA flaps: i have a collection of around 2000 patches(and equally as many in my trade stock waiting for the next national jamboree) right now and when i got the collection valued by the insurance company between the collection it self and what i have in trading stock i have close to 10K in cloth.

hmm im surprised netdoc hasnt responded on this one as i feeling he probably has a patch collection bigger then mine.

fwiw

Tooth

i'm collecting bits for this
bimba
had it 12 years, not driven it an inch yet, my other expensive hobby
nearly done now, hope to have it done for next summer

Lately I seem to collect junk mail, spam, and boxes....

But I have a shot glass collection that dates over 20 years....

I had so many tee shirts that I resused to throw away that my wife made a quilt out of them.. very cool....

My baseball hats are somewhat less organized...but I do have a LOT of them from travel.

Ron

dlndavid:
Outside of collecting great amounts of dive equipment and related stuff, do you collect anything?
I have been collecting Hot Wheels unopened in the box for almost 40 years and
Chili pepper stuff.
What's in your collection?

Back
Top Bottom