What Gear Not To Buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Try that with your shears, and in the meantime I'll catch a couple using my apparently ridiculous BFK. Then let's see who has the ingredients for a nice seafood supper in the evening.

OTOH, in many (most?) countries, it is forbidden to catch/hunt on scuba.

It is?

In Norway, harvesting on scuba is allowed, except for lobsters.
AFAIK, in the UK, harvesting on scuba (incl. lobsters), is allowed. Same in some US states.

Try to stay away from all the $10-$50 "accessories" like shakers, tank bangers, octo holders. These never seem to work as well as I though they would standing in the dive shop. Another rule of thumb I try to follow is making sure all your gear is versatile, along the lines of a BFK - the BFK is like 6 tools in one. A trilobite is a good cutting tool, but really only for mono or other thin line - save your money and buy a BFK!

For big purchases like regs or BCD, buy the best you can afford - for example, save a few more dollars for a cold water rated reg, if there is ever a chance you'll dive cold water.

I'd also caution against buying "travel specific" gear - IMO I don't mind lugging a few extra pounds through an airport 1x or 2x a year. The super lightweight versions just aren't as durable.

A trilobite is a good cutting tool, but really only for mono or other thin line
Thin being of up to 15mm or so, basically half an inch. I have yet to come across something it couldn't cut through, except an anchor chain, but then again, nothing would have gotten through that.

Thin being of up to 15mm or so, basically half an inch. I have yet to come across something it couldn't cut through, except an anchor chain, but then again, nothing would have gotten through that.

yes, you can cram 12.7mm through the Trilobite, and yes, they do pretty good in some situations, and yes, I do personally own one, but if I had to choose only one tool - BFK all the way! IMO the thread topic was "what not to buy" and the trilobite is one of those things that gets prioritized WAY down the list of things to own.

Gear bags. Did not buy an "official scuba gear bag" with a little research found a luggage bag of same size, with rollers for a fraction of the cost.
Save your money buy better regulator and or BCD.

Last edited:
  1. Dive knife
  2. Multi Tool
  3. Octo Holder
  4. Snorkel
  5. Wrist Slate

Dive knife. I have owned several, used zero. I switched to a z knife and a pair of shears. I did use the z knife once, but it was during a cave class where I had to cut and re-tie a line. I've never had to cut anything on a "real" dive.

Also, multi-tools. Seems like a good idea, until you actually need to use the thing. Regular tools are vastly superior and cheaper.

Octo holders... they just don't work very well, none of the designs I've seen do.

I do like retractors that others have mentioned (for my spg). You have to be careful to pick one that is small, and instead of using the included clip, I tied it onto the spg with some line from my thumbspool.

Oh yeah, and snorkels.... they're useful during scuba class if your instructor requires one. Otherwise..... I keep a rollup snorkel in my pocket just "in case" along with other emergency stuff that hopefully will never get used.

Wrist slates.. own a few, use zero. I've just never found the need and long ago stopped actually carrying it.

tank webbing and vinyl valve protector, to go on my then prized Aluminum 80 tank, all courtesy of Sports Chalet, circa 1990.

The first two, discarded in my closet somewhere; the latter, sold recently for scrap for $12.35.

tank webbing and vinyl valve protector, to go on my then prized Aluminum 80 tank, all courtesy of Sports Chalet, circa 1990.
Ah yeah I forgot about valve protectors :rofl3:. I've got a bunch of those things laying around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom