What Gear Not To Buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For some divers, that's correct. For others, like me, it's wrong.

It's all about choosing the right tools for the job. For some jobs a big blade is the right tool.
I agree with that. I carry two knives with me on each dive. One is a long, but streamlined stiletto style blade with cutting surface on both sides. Line cutter and serrated portions on the back side. Sharp tip as well. I also carry a Fogcutter (combo knife/shears).
List please.
I carry two because it's good to have a backup.
There is really only one task that the large knife does that shears wouldn't work for, and that's doubling as a kill spike to subdue large fish. The Fogcutter was added as a backup knife, and to be able to trim lionfish spines if I come across them on a dive where I wasn't specifically targetting lionfish. I wouldn't want to just put them on the stringer without trimming spines.

Ankle weights ... about 30% of the drysuit divers I know own them. So far in 15 years of diving I've met exactly one person who actually needed them ... and she could've gotten by without them if she didn't insist on the pink plastic fins ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My original BCD. I should have listened to the advice at the and brought a wing straight away - but at that time I didn't even know what a wing looked like.

Currently my Drysuit leads the top of things I wish I hadn't brought I love the warmth it gives, I hate that despite 20+ dives in it I still feel like a novice and nothing feels as natural and effortless as it does when diving wet. *Sigh*

My original BCD. I should have listened to the advice at the and brought a wing straight away - but at that time I didn't even know what a wing looked like.

Currently my Drysuit leads the top of things I wish I hadn't brought I love the warmth it gives, I hate that despite 20+ dives in it I still feel like a novice and nothing feels as natural and effortless as it does when diving wet. *Sigh*

hahaha - you just need more dives in it.

love the warmth it gives, I hate that despite 20+ dives in it I still feel like a novice and nothing feels as natural and effortless as it does when diving wet.
I certified OW in a DS and have perhaps a dozen wet dives all in all, so I like to think I've got decent experience diving dry. When I went from a snug neoprene DS to a trilam suit with enough room for thick undergarments, it took me some ten dives to get to know the new suit. In the summer I still prefer my old neoprene suit, since I have a lot less air migration in it and need less weight.

Although I don't feel much difference between the neo suit and a thick-ish wetsuit, the trilam suit will never be as effortless to dive as a wetsuit. It is a little more awkward no matter what, but that's the price I pay for being cozy warm. And even the neo DS is a bit more of a hassle than a wetsuit due to the neck and wrist seals, and the extra task of managing two volumes of air. Me, I prefer that over being blue and shivering post-dive...

"Cutting bread" is the funniest one...
Yeah, sliced bread can be in short supply in US:) The only advantage a longer blade has over shorter ones is when knives are not used as tools. Like in knife fighting.

hahaha - you just need more dives in it.
Yeah. You're absolutely right. My own fault really trying to re learn to dive in a place that has up and down currents. When you do get a nice dive with no drift etc, then the kama is disturbed by that well known vermin of the sea the whale shark. Sometimes I yearn for my local diving to be a nice inland quarry where I can practice in peace and quiet :wink:

Back
Top Bottom