What happened to PST

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is one more example of how the scuba tank is the bastard cousin of the industrial cylinder, and just doesn't fit quite right in the system. Maybe if the DOT had called them "Experimental" instead of SP or exemption, people might get the point, that the SP system is intended to let manufacturers make special purpose tanks that don't meet the usual standards and hence are given only provisional approval.

It's too bad the vendors don't make this clear, but not really the fault of the tank manufacturers or the DOT since the limitations of the SP system are well known and understood in the industry, and the DOT has even considerately provided a loophole in case a manufacturer does abandon an SP, in the form of the "use" permit.

It's questionable now whether we will ever see the HP steels rolled into a new DOT spec, the way the aluminum tanks were. The new HM-220E "UN" tank standards allow tanks very similar to the HP steels, and should eventually obsolete them, which means the DOT doesn't have much impetus to create yet another standard just to grandfather the HP steels. It may just be that the HP steels could be grandfathered into the UN spec, but while they are pretty similar, they are probably just enough different that this is not likely to happen. On the other hand, maybe the spectacle of 20,000 tank owners each applying for a use exemption will spur the DOT into finding an easier alternative!

That said, I think we should all stop worrying about it. As several people have pointed out, most shops will not even notice should the exemption expire, and only a few "gotcha" shops bother to do anything about it if they do. PST will probably be around long enough to renew the exemption at least one more time, and if they don't someone will get a use exemption and enough of us become party to it that there will be no trouble in getting the tanks filled and hydroed.

...I quite agree...it's completely absurd that we have to worry about this issue ! These tanks should never have been released as a legal product into the consumer market in the first place if the approval was really temporary/conditional...the DOT knowingly 'released' a potential defective product......why do these particular tanks have a finite shelf life but all the other scuba tanks on the market are considered to be good eternally ? Also, I don't remember being advised of this 'temporary' status when I was being sold the tanks in the first place!

It's a common misconception that SP or Exemption tanks are in some way less safe or cutting corners. In reality, it allows manufacturers to use better materials or processes without DOT having to create new categories as long as the manufacturer can prove with good engineering practices that they are producing a product with equal or better safety. It allows for advancement in technology.

In a way, ALL tanks are provisional. Their allowance to be re-used is pending the hydro test and visual that is required.

One could make the arguement that SP or E cylinders are less "safe". SP/E cylinders are hydro'd to 3/2 while 3AL and 3AA cylinders are hydo'd to 5/3. 66% is more than 50%!

Just a point for discussion.

5/3 of the service pressure of a 3AA tank is within about 1% of 3/2 of their 10% over fill pressure so it really is about the same safety factor.

5/3 of the service pressure of a 3AA tank is within about 1% of 3/2 of their 10% over fill pressure so it really is about the same safety factor.

Are most of the exempt/SP tanks actually made of a different alloy, or are they just tested to the different standard? ISTR that one company's LP tank became a HP tank with the new higher capacity, but exactly the same part number. Can't remember which company it was, unfortunately.

Guy (Asahi HP100s, OMS LP112s)

.....well, I resent the shops that display a 'got cha!' mentality...like a trigger happy cop with a radar gun pulling one over for going 5 MPH over the limit.....I mean saying visuals expire on the first day and not the last day of the month is absurd! .....also, these very same shops have absolutely no problem sponsoring dive/travel trips to various third-world locations where things like hydros/visuals are rare/non-existant and they have no issues putting 'their' group of divers into using these highly questionable tanks...so I resent the level of hypocrisy !

Are most of the exempt/SP tanks actually made of a different alloy, or are they just tested to the different standard? ISTR that one company's LP tank became a HP tank with the new higher capacity, but exactly the same part number. Can't remember which company it was, unfortunately.

Guy (Asahi HP100s, OMS LP112s)

ALL steel SP/E cylinders used in the Scuba trade are a special high strength alloy. Where you may be confused is that all the same tooling is used to produce both LP and HP cylinders. PST's engineer (I believe his name is John Dimic) developed the the first E-9791 tanks.

If anyone knows the name of the engineer, would you please post it.

and the 3AL?
If you consider the 10% over fill of the 3AA tank as the normal "operating pressure, a 3AA tank and a steel SP tank have about the same safety factor and test pressure ratio.

Since aluminum has a different stress/strain curve near the elastic limit, a 3AL tank needs a different test pressure ratio to verify integrity even at the same safety factor.

So, you can't infer safety factors simply from from the ratio of operating pressure to service pressure.

I don't think anyone here has suggested that SP tanks are less safe or cutting corners. The word the industry often uses is "higher performance", which I think expresses it nicely. Think of it as the difference between a 50 lb Schwinn clunker and a 12 lb. racing bike. One is a lot faster, but requires more attention and is easier to break. And it would be a duller world without both.

It's a common misconception that SP or Exemption tanks are in some way less safe or cutting corners.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom