What if...? Dive Planning & Trust Me Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a side note that I forgot to mention earlier. While both the SG and the O have alternate moorings, but neither goes all the way to the surface the last time I dove them. They are submerged about 15-20' so as to not be a navigational hazard and the DM will go down and tie into them.

What does a person do, then, if they come up a line with no boat moored? Stay on the line and throw up an SMB to let the boat know you are there?

What does a person do, then, if they come up a line with no boat moored? Stay on the line and throw up an SMB to let the boat know you are there?

:praying:

:spit:

However . . . it seems it would make sense to stay on the line as long as possible, with an smb up, and if the gas goes low, then finally cut loose and surface -- you won't be so far away.

This response is probably the closest to how I'd handle this situation.

Well, swimming into the current is useless. I've done a similiar dive on C-58 in Cancun, where there always seems to be a ripping current. The regulator is the easiest, simply protect the purge valve. The first option to get back to the mooring line would be to stay as tight to the boat as possible, pulling oneself along by hand, thereby conserving air. If it were evident that plan A wouldn't get me where I needed to be, I'd shelter along the wreck until I got to the highest point and begin ascending. The dsmb is a problem because if deployed too soon, it will act as a sail and carry me further away from the dive boat. I also don't see it as a viable ascent line in current because it is too fine to hang on to. In Cancun the ascent line was an 1 1/2" rope that we flapped off of like a flag. I'd wait to deploy the dsmb until my safety stop, knowing that we have a smart captain that will come to pick me up if I stay calm and float with my rig on the surface.

Here is a new scenario for consideration.

What if the current picked up during a dive and you were unable to return to the anchor line?

Loosely based on a dive on the Spiegal Grove in the Keys.
Max depth of the site to the sand ~140'
Structure near the middle ~65'
Max depth of your dive 90', current dive time 16 minutes, 1800 psi remaining
Boat anchored at the bow during slack current. You were near the stern, approximately 500' from the anchor line when current picked up. The current is strong enough that facing directly into it causes the purge on your reg to free flow. You don't have enough air, or NDL time remaining to fight your way back to the anchor line at depth. If you ascend shallower to conserve air, you're going to get blown off the wreck. You have a DSMB and a 100' reel.

How would you handle this situation and what considerations would you take into account.

You still have a fair amount of time and gas remaining. Even on PADI tables you're still 5 minutes from being required to make a safety stop. I'd attempt to make my way towards the bow of the boat, using the structure as much as possible for shelter while keeping an eye on NDL and gas.

The tallest part of most ships tends to be in the middle, so once I reached that point I'd evaluate whether the remaining gas and time is sufficient for me to make my way to the anchor line on the bow. Keeping into consideration that once you pass the middle portion of the structure, you're going to have much less cover from the current than you did on the back half of the boat.

From the higher structure in the middle of the boat, your bag has a better chance of having enough scope to reach the surface. I'd deploy the marker from the highest point I could reach, whether it's structure, or an alternate mooring line. If the bag failed to hit the surface, then I'd make a quick ascent until it did to give the boat the best chance at spotting it, then once it surfaced I'd continue with a normal ascent.

If the bag did hit the surface from depth, I'd hold my position as long as gas and time allowed so that the boat had more time to spot it and get everyone else on board so they could come pick me up.

Other considerations:
Surface currents can run counter to bottom currents. Keep a look out for your boat and make note of the direction it's pointing. That will tell you how the current at the surface is running. In a best case scenario, the surface current will be running the opposite direction. That will give you the opportunity to ride the surface current back to the boat without much effort.

Second best scenario, it will be running the same direction as the bottom current and the boat will let out some extra current line from the back. They may also be able to let out some anchor line and close the distance between you without having to unhook.

Worst case is if the surface current is running at an angle to the bottom current. Depending on the angle it could severely complicate recovery unless the boat is able to leave the mooring.

Things to know before you dive:
Depth of the site so you can plan to have adequate line. I almost always carry a reel with 400' of line and a large SMB on all boat dives now. A 150' spool is the minimum I'll carry.
What normal and extreme conditions are.
Does the boat carry binoculars?
What is the boats lost diver recovery procedures?

When I dive wrecks, if we splash with no current, my tendency is to angle away from the mooring line on descent towards the farthest point of the wreck. That way I can explore that area and make my way back to the mooring with the most possible gas. As I get closer to the mooring I'll ascend to save on NDL and gas and spend time puttering around and checking stuff out near the line.

Having a jon line can also be useful as you can use it to tether your buddy to you, you can use it to tether yourself to the mooring line and you can use it to tether yourself to the tag (current) line. Fighting current and hanging on a line can tire you out quickly and the added strain on joints can put you at higher risk for DCS.

A whistle and signalling mirror are also part of my OW dive kit. On more advanced dives, I may also add an additional spool and another SMB.

Having a jon line can also be useful as you can use it to tether your buddy to you, you can use it to tether yourself to the mooring line and you can use it to tether yourself to the tag (current) line. Fighting current and hanging on a line can tire you out quickly and the added strain on joints can put you at higher risk for DCS.

What are you using for a jon line? If it's what I'm thinking of, you are using it much the same way that I use a spanner belt to control a charged hose line. I'm thinking that 3/4" to 1" webbing, 3 feet long, with bolt snaps on each end, could come in mighty handy in a lot of situations underwater.

What are you using for a jon line? If it's what I'm thinking of, you are using it much the same way that I use a spanner belt to control a charged hose line. I'm thinking that 3/4" to 1" webbing, 3 feet long, with bolt snaps on each end, could come in mighty handy in a lot of situations underwater.

I use this one, from Dive Rite. The pouch has a strap that attaches to your harness webbing and the line is sewn to the pouch. The free end has a carabiner on it that you can clip off to the line or your buddies d-ring. If you're wearing a jacket BC that without a strap that easily accommodates the line, you can loop it around the line then run the carabiner through the attachement strap and clip it to a d-ring on your BC. It has 6' of 1" webbing that stores in the pouch out of the way, but can be easily deployed when needed.

DR-AC2700-2T.jpg

* What would you do if you reached your agreed upon turnaround pressure and your buddy or the DM pushed on with the dive (rather than turning around)?

Signal that I was beginning my ascent/return, and find a different buddy.

* What would you do if the DM leading your boat dive went into a cave or other overhead environment?

I have not had any training in overhead environments. If the DM was asking me to dive beyond my comfort/training (assuming this was NOT a class, as the question indicated DM, not instructor), I would signal my ascent and abort the dive. This should have been covered in pre dive planning. I do not want to dive with a DM who springs these kind of surprises on me. If the DM had indicated the overhead in the pre dive, it would have given me an opportunity to not dive, or plan an alternative while the DM and other experienced divers went into the overhead.

* What would you do if your buddy inexplicably descended deeper (100+ fsw) than the two of you had discussed during pre-dive planning?

Get my buddies attention, signal the depth gauge, and signal to begin to ascend back to the previously agreed upon depth.

* What would you do if your buddy wanted to go diving but you weren't comfortable with the dive conditions (high surf, current, low vis, rough seas, etc.)?

If I am concerned about conditions, and can not resolve those concerns, abort the dive.

* What would you do if your buddy gave you "the thumb" on the dive but everything seemed like it was OK?
Respect my buddy's request and abort the dive. I can't know everything that is happening with him/her, must be a good reason to signal the ascent.

* What would you do if you reached your agreed upon turnaround pressure and your buddy ... pushed on with the dive (rather than turning around)?
* What would you do if your buddy inexplicably descended deeper (100+ fsw) than the two of you had discussed during pre-dive planning?

As both of these situations (especially the second) could be symptoms of narcosis, I would evaluate the risk of going after my buddy, and after concluding I could do so with reasonable safety, persue him/her to try and convince to change course. If my dive planning is well within prescribed limits, there is always room to bend the plan for emergency situtations. That is one of the reasons why we don't dive to the absolute limit.

For the case of the deep dive, I know that my computer will do an emergency decompression if I go a few feet deeper than planned, and for little longer than is allowed. I would want to rescue my buddy from narcosis before he/she got so deep to be beyond rescue.

For the case of the low-on-air situtation, the turn-around time may, for example, be the time required to get back to the buoy line. In this case, I could take advantage of the few extra minutes gained by doing an emergency free accent instead of accending along the line.

In all cases, it is my job to keep my buddy safe, even if it means keeping him/her safe from his/her own stupidity. If my buddy was truly being stuborn and stupid rather than just narced, I would NEVER dive with that buddy again.

Going to try this without cheating and reading the answers 1st:

What would you do if you reached your agreed upon turnaround pressure and your buddy or the DM pushed on with the dive (rather than turning around)?
signal "out of air" and thumb the dive to my buddy
* What would you do if the DM leading your boat dive went into a cave or other overhead environment?
stab him with a ford f350. signal "no" to my dive buddy and stay at the mouth of the cave, assuming it's a real cave.
no problem, happens all the time. Catch up to him and signal him to check his guages and signal "up"
* What would you do if your buddy wanted to go diving but you weren't comfortable with the dive conditions (high surf, current, low vis, rough seas, etc.)?
If I get hurt, I can't work. Noone that's a friend challenges me on this.
* What would you do if your buddy gave you "the thumb" on the dive but everything seemed like it was OK?
Signal "ok?" He ain't going to "ok" back if he's thumbing the dive. then follow him up and try to figure out if he's just trying to equalize or something or has an actual problem

ETA: ok, this one was too easy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom