What is an "S-Drill"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman:
Soggy,

You don't have your buddy breath from it in the ocean?

I don't, no. I think it removes the "safety" from "Safety" drill by doing so. Currents, waves, etc, etc all while trying to maintain contact with a 1/2" line in a few feet of visibility...not the time to be practicing, IMO.

Vie:
Dress for Success can be very useful but a lot of stuff in there is out of date and may cause confusion - addressing your questions to/with your GUE instructor is probably the easiest solution.
What stuff is out of date?

JeffG:
What stuff is out of date?

Well, since the OP is "getting ready to take the GUE-F course in a couple of months"...

The stuff in Dress for Success that are "out of date," as far as a GUE class is concerned, are...

- the bungie loop on Goodman handle.

- stowing the crotch D-ring when not using a scooter.

- routing the light cord under the long hose.

- having a little loop on your stage/deco second stage.

Some other things in the book (drysuit cuff dump, clear guard on lighthead, putting the LP inflator hose, but not the corrugated hose, through the bungie above the left chest D-ring) were never "official."

I don't have the book in front of me so this is just off the top of my head...

Vie:
The stuff in Dress for Success that are "out of date," as far as a GUE class is concerned, are...

I'm surprised to hear that one -- why would the bungie loop on the goodman handle be considered "out of date"? That's how I have my light configured, and didn't get any comments about it from my fundies instructor.

Of course, that may have been because my fundies instructor was Dan Mackay... :wink:

~Jeremy

GUE standardized the procedure. It is now a small botlsnap attached to the goodman handle with cave line, and a bungie loop secured to the rear of the ballast.

jhoey:
I'm surprised to hear that one -- why would the bungie loop on the goodman handle be considered "out of date"? That's how I have my light configured, and didn't get any comments about it from my fundies instructor.

Of course, that may have been because my fundies instructor was Dan Mackay... :wink:

Well, it's not "forbidden"; if your team wants to do certain things a certain way, as long as it does not compromise safety, that's cool - don't worry, the secret DIR scuba police won't come knocking on your door :wink: What GUE teaches now is to have a small boltsnap (usually a 1/2" size) tied to the right side of the Goodman handle, with a loop used at the end of the ballast.

JJ explains:

"When it became obvious that having a clip on the back of the ballast was useful to prevent blinding a dive buddy we began experimenting with a range of attachments. I have tried nearly every version under the sun and have been settling down to the following:

There should be a permanent clip on the light to ensure you can always secure it when it is not in use or has failed. This smaller clip should be tied to the handle. I prefer the right side as this seems to keep the light a bit tighter to the chest. A loop of bungie, a thick o-ring or other attachment point that stands up a bit and can be clipped into with one hand should be placed near the back of the ballast. This attachment point can be secured with a double end clip which may be stored in a pocket or on the D ring when not in use.

The primary thing that I do not like about swapping the double end clip from front to back is that it hangs a bit lower when you need to stow the light such as in a failed situation or when done diving it in open water. In smaller cave this seems more likely to drag or catch; in open water it is more likely to catch or smash into something when getting out of the boat. I prefer a fixed clip to the front as this is the more critical attachment. Previously I tried fixed clips at both locations and tucked the clip under a band around the ballast. This was ok but less ideal.

Regarding the double end clip in the back I usually have it attached to the D ring. If the cave is small I use one of the light bands to hold it down against the backup light. I prefer to use the smallest double ender available so that if I am using it regularly such as scooter survey you can leave it on the light between shots and then remove for the exit.

...The problem ultimately develops because people invariably use the light a bit differently. I have strived to find something in the spirit of DIR that works in all diving. Two clips bother me though I appreciate their benefit. Using a double end clip as the only clip bothers me more. I have played with a few different attachment methods and have been playing with one that would allow the clip to be accessible but also to be tucked out of the way when not in use. In many forms of diving the rear clip is rarely used making it problematic for it to be left in the open. I think that we are nearly there."

More from Clare Gledhill:

"OK so one of the strengths of GUE is standards - and here is the standard for light heads.

'During certain diving scenarios it becomes desirable to clip the light head such that the beam points down away from a team member’s eyes. In order to facilitate this need while reducing the complexity of multiple clips GUE procedures utilize the placement of a permanent clip on the handle of the light head and a loop at the rear of the light head. The rear loop allows the diver to temporarily clip a double end clip to the back of the light head. The permanent placement of clip at the handle ensures that a clip is available at the most important location and is easily used should it be necessary to stow the light permanently in the event of a failure or when the light is no longer needed. This clip is placed on the right side where the diver can hold it with the thumb of their left hand. Lights that are no longer in use should be stowed with the light cord tucked under the long hose.'

So... the standard is a loop - doesn't say whether it should be bungy or an O ring or cave line. Like many of our standards they are principles whcih are borne out of good diving practice rather than rules.

My own experience is that cave line makes a loop which is hard to snap into one handed, first time, everytime.

Stowing your light should ideally be a one handed operation - not merely becasue it looks cool but also you may be in need of your other hand at the time!

Take the double ender from your D ring, snap it into the loop whilst the light is still on the back of your hand, and then stow on the D ring - using the same end of the double ender. Make it a quick, slick, practised action which you can do, after practice, without much effort. Don't forget to tuck the cord in your belt - under the long hose - no matter how you clip off your light.

Personally I use a bungy loop tied off and glued then attached to the light in the groove at the end of the ballast which Halcyon have designed in to the light for this purpose. If you struggle to tie tight line make sure you tie it when wet - line tied dry slackens off when wet."

My issue is that I spend roughly half my dive with the light clipped off hanging down, so I consider the rear location the "more important" one. If I lose the double ender that I move back and forth, I can 1) pull another one out of my pocket or 2) just keep the failed light in my hand where it will cause no more problem than it would if it were in use.

Soggy:
My issue is that I spend roughly half my dive with the light clipped off hanging down, so I consider the rear location the "more important" one. If I lose the double ender that I move back and forth, I can 1) pull another one out of my pocket or 2) just keep the failed light in my hand where it will cause no more problem than it would if it were in use.

This is what we have also found, Soggy. That being said there are times when this method does and could become a bit more of an issue under certain circumstances than the official GUE stance.

There's pro's and cons for both, and I've seen the odd separation of personal preference lines drawn between whether one dives predominately caves or wrecks. I know Dan's preference was always the two-loop/bolt snap. When I was in Akumal a few months ago, we used updated protocols. I waited for the shoe to drop, but nothing was mentioned about my two-loops.

We continue to hash it out by diving and seeing what we run into. Maybe we'll change, maybe we won't.

Yeah, I know it's not very DIRish to say this, but there is definitely a line where team safety is not affected by a change. I consider bolt snap placement one of those issues that is definitely on the personal preference side of things. :)

Vie:
Well, since the OP is "getting ready to take the GUE-F course in a couple of months"...

- stowing the crotch D-ring when not using a scooter.

- routing the light cord under the long hose.

- having a little loop on your stage/deco second stage.

Some other things in the book (drysuit cuff dump, clear guard on lighthead, putting the LP inflator hose, but not the corrugated hose, through the bungie above the left chest D-ring) were never "official."

I don't have the book in front of me so this is just off the top of my head...
Its been a while since I read the book so I didn't remember which way the book described stuff. I've made up my own mind on how I do things and really couldn't care what the book says. :wink:

But I see the list is just made up of (quite frankly) trivial stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom