What is the latest news about the Calypso (Cousteau's boat)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

According to a book I have on Calypso, they did a large restoration back in the early 80s which lead to the issue of the “Friends of Calypso” wood fragment paperweights to help finance the restoration.

Going through my copy of Jacques Cousteau: The Sea King, the 1981 refit involved replanking the bow (which had been damaged by ice in the St. Lawrence the previous winter), repainting and recaulking the hull, rebuilding the rudders, shafts, and props, and replacing the auxiliary engines. The original main engines wore out in 1985 and were replaced along with the props, shafts, and gearboxes. However, by the time Calypso was sunk in Singapore in 1996 it was in poor shape and the ensuing malpractice hasn't helped matters.

Going through my copy of Jacques Cousteau: The Sea King, the 1981 refit involved replanking the bow (which had been damaged by ice in the St. Lawrence the previous winter), repainting and recaulking the hull, rebuilding the rudders, shafts, and props, and replacing the auxiliary engines. The original main engines wore out in 1985 and were replaced along with the props, shafts, and gearboxes. However, by the time Calypso was sunk in Singapore in 1996 it was in poor shape and the ensuing malpractice hasn't helped matters.
According to a Cousteau family member that is not an accurate book

"Malpractice"?

That message got the replies "According to a Cousteau family member that is not an accurate book" and ""Malpractice"?".

As Calypso was built as a minesweeper ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RV_Calypso ), and thus would need as little magnetic signature as possible, how much iron and steel is likely to be in the Calypso?

See Calypso - Wikipedia for other ships and similar named Calypso, including two submarines.

As regards the origin of the name, the Greek word root "kalub-" means "to hide", and a nymph named Calypso (see Calypso (mythology) - Wikipedia ) detained Odysseus on her island for 7 years. And submarines are intended to go hidden underwater.

I'm sorry? Still confused about the "malpractice".

Going through my copy of Jacques Cousteau: The Sea King, ....

Jacques Cousteau: The Sea King, first printing, first edition by Bradford Matsen (ISBN: 9780375424137)

Jacques Cousteau: The Sea King, reprint by Bradford Matsen (ISBN: 9780307275424)

"malpractice" here may mean the delays and events that have been happening to Calypso since 1996.

Jacques Cousteau: The Sea King, first printing, first edition by Bradford Matsen (ISBN: 9780375424137)

Jacques Cousteau: The Sea King, reprint by Bradford Matsen (ISBN: 9780307275424)

"malpractice" here may mean the delays and events that have been happening to Calypso since 1996.

That was what I was getting at, yes. The Calypso seems to have been left to rot for over 20 years; the continued pronouncements from the Cousteau Society that she will be restored are in contrast to the history of unpaid shipyard bills and piddling away money on legal squabbles as the poor hulk has been dragged from one end of the Med to the other. The longer that drags on, the worse the decay and the less likely it is she will actually receive a comprehensive reconstruction.

The longer that drags on, the worse the decay and the less likely it is she will actually receive a comprehensive reconstruction.

And the number of people that remember Cousteau or care about the ship/hulk diminish. These are the conditions of a classic death spiral of a brand.

Is there any sort of list of what more-or-less-Calypso-sized underwater diving expeditions are happening in the known world right now?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom