What is the latest news about the Calypso (Cousteau's boat)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have two paperweights that have wood fragments from Calypso that were given to “Friends of Calypso”/ Cousteau Society members who were large donors back in the 1980s.

I think just argue and fight JC was not a very nice man especially to his kids , micheal was very clear on that

This whole thread makes me sad. I knew nothing about the old boat, always wondered what became of it. I grew up in awe and jealousy of JC, I wanted to dive from the time I was still single digits in age. JC had always been one of my heroes, and it makes me sad to hear some of these things.

Anyone remember seeing the dead turtle cave special he did where they filmed all of the turtles that got lost in the cave? It put the fear of caves in me to this day that I’d never even think about it.

This whole thread makes me sad.
Great people ultimately die. Great boats ultimately end up as wrecks. That's just life.

Not that we shouldn't be allowed to feel sadness, but let's keep it at a moderate level.

Great people ultimately die. Great boats ultimately end up as wrecks. That's just life.

Not that we shouldn't be allowed to feel sadness, but let's keep it at a moderate level.

Well I was sad to hear about the squabbling, and to be honest, I don;t even think i knew of his affair or his legal battle with Jean-Michel...

I know if doesn't make up for any of his issues, but his relationship with Casto helped free 80 political prisoners in 1985, and for that families like mine that escaped that hell in 1959-1964 will forever love him.

At this juncture I am very seriously considering my options of just fading away...
I can't think of any non-hyperbaric medical contributor who would be a greater loss to this board were they to leave.

I only met the guy a few times. He was always gracious and happy to talk about futzing with dive gear on board Calypso. I was never on the Calypso but was at a dinner once where my wife and I were talking to Cousteau and Silvia Earl. The local paper took the following photo and, after writing down our names, published it the next day. I was instantly elevated to undersea celebrity status. :):yeahbaby:

@Sam Miller III
NEhNNq.jpg

P.S., I think Jacques was trying to show my wife how to find his hotel room later. :)

@diversteve

You deleted my post once before...

I agree it certainly does not address the condition of the boat
Therefore,
Use your influence to immediately permanently delete the entire post

Thanks

Sam
As you wish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom