What skills do you actually learn in a Solo course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive side mount steels with no extra weight. Also I wear a dry suit.

That would prove difficult! Please don’t try that. :)
I am referring to recreational warm water diving with a single tank and a pony.

I dive Sidemount, back mount, single tank and CCR without any weights with a drysuit.

Even though there's a discrepancy between the tables as far as whether a 40 minute dive to 100' can be done without decompression, and we don't know how long the diver in question was actually at or below 100' for the entire 40 minutes, it's reasonable to say that we don't have enough information about that one particular fatality that was possibly due to 02 toxicity as far as whether it was a single tank, no decompression dive which is what I was referring to when I said there has never been a single documented fatality of an 02 hit on a diver when breathing <=40 %EAN on a single tank no decompression dive.

Even though there's a discrepancy between the tables as far as whether a 40 minute dive to 100' can be done without decompression, and we don't know how long the diver in question was actually at or below 100' for the entire 40 minutes, it's reasonable to say that we don't have enough information about that one particular fatality that was possibly due to 02 toxicity as far as whether it was a single tank, no decompression dive which is what I was referring to when I said there has never been a single documented fatality of an 02 hit on a diver when breathing <=40 %EAN on a single tank no decompression dive.
I suspect that much of the pushback you have gotten here is because you responded in an absolute: “there has never been a single documented fatality of an 02 hit on a diver when breathing <=40 %EAN on a single tank no decompression dive.“

Unless you can prove that you have access to ALL documented fatalities of O2 hits, you just can’t say that. As others have suggested, you could have said you are not aware of any cases (and added you did extensive searches) - but you can’t make an absolute statement like you did as it is impossible to back up if challenged!

you can’t make an absolute statement like you did as it is impossible to back up if challenged!

Fair enough. I am not aware of any documented cases of a scuba diving fatality when the diver is breathing at or below 40% Nitrox on a single tank no decompression dive and no one else has been able to provide such documentation.

I suspect that much of the pushback you have gotten here is because you responded in an absolute: “there has never been a single documented fatality of an 02 hit on a diver when breathing <=40 %EAN on a single tank no decompression dive.“

Unless you can prove that you have access to ALL documented fatalities of O2 hits, you just can’t say that. As others have suggested, you could have said you are not aware of any cases (and added you did extensive searches) - but you can’t make an absolute statement like you did as it is impossible to back up if challenged!

You nailed it! It’s dangerous to speak in absolutes. I believe most of us agree with the premise, but take issue with the delivery.

I dive Sidemount, back mount, single tank and CCR without any weights with a drysuit.

And don't you usually pick up another stage tank ( ie=More Weight ) on the way out ?

And don't you usually pick up another stage tank ( ie=More Weight ) on the way out ?

Most of my dives I’m usually just diving CCR and two LP50’s.

I certainly hope not, as that would violate standards for all agencies offering the course.

Already full Nitrox, already Cavern and Intro Cave, already Rescue and have done much work as a DM candidate that I never quite finished due to moving with a job change. All with his shop. It isn't like I have never demonstrated the requisite skills before him previously nor made a couple hundred solo dives since. The only thing I lack is the SMB skill and I can self-acquire that at this point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom