What to bring to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blue steal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Okay I've made my air and resort reservations and have my general packing list prepared. I have my dive bag packed but am wondering if there might be anything more needed for diving in COZ. :read:
I know what not to bring.....dive knife and no gloves in the marine park area.
For example, I've heard some say a SMB (safety saugage), and finger spool. Also a compass, ( I don't own one yet, but will soon). I think I have most everything else except my own BC & reg which I will need to rent. (Still shopping & researching these). I plan on taking AOW and doing some Nitrox dives after getting certified on this as well. Any advice would be appreciated........:)

SMB is good. Probably won't need a spool. Won't need a compass, you'll be drifting with the current with a guide. I would bring EMT shears in lieu of a knife.

As a new diver the DM's will keep a close eye on you and I can't see any need for you to have a sausage nor reel. (unless you intend to do some snorkeling near boat lanes / tour drop off areas etc). My advice it to make a point of asking about the gear others are using, and why they chose whatever they have that interests you, and do they like it. Divers like to pass on what they like & warn about what they weren't happy with, and many outfit themselves quite differently than others. It's a great way to learn about what works & what doesn't, what's comfortable etc.

cicopo:
As a new diver the DM's will keep a close eye on you and I can't see any need for you to have a sausage nor reel.

With all due respect, I disagree on the SMB. It's as important as a whistle considering Cozumel is free drift diving. 99% chance nothing will happen and the DM will keep a close eye on the new diver but the same odds exist that nothing will happen to your primary second stage yet you wouldn't think about diving with out safe second, would you?

However, you do not need a reel as you can effectively deploy an SMB on the surface.

I agree about the sausage but not sure how you deploy a safety sausage from 20fsw and have it affectively float above you to signal your boat and passing boats where you are without a reel.

Hi Blue Steal! As a new diver you are likely to be watched over. Like stated before that does not save you from a wrong turn on your part and getting lost seeing as it's your first time there. The sausage and reel are a great idea. I have had one since day one of diving. And I have used it countless times. A tool that needs to be on your bc. Like stated earlier also a signalling device just in case. Take some mosquito spray. I'm not sure if you do but a lot of divers tip. I tip five dollars a tank or fifteen pesos for 2. Take change if are. Heartburn stuff. Habenaro is waiting for you. ahahahah. I hope you have a great time.

Agreed. Bring your own sauage and spool. You probalby want need it as the DM depolys his BUT if the cowboy Captain of the boat your on screws up, you'll have to deplu your won

I agree about the sausage but not sure how you deploy a safety sausage from 20fsw and have it affectively float above you to signal your boat and passing boats where you are.

Hi Blue Steal! As a new diver you are likely to be watched over. Like stated before that does not save you from a wrong turn on your part and getting lost seeing as it's your first time there. The sausage and reel are a great idea. I have had one since day one of diving. And I have used it countless times. A tool that needs to be on your bc. Like stated earlier also a signalling device just in case. Take some mosquito spray. I'm not sure if you do but a lot of divers tip. I tip five dollars a tank or fifteen pesos for 2. Take change if are. Heartburn stuff. Habenaro is waiting for you. ahahahah. I hope you have a great time. :D

Last edited:
I would bring some sort of anti-itch cream (like Benadryl Cream or Cortaid) in case you touch one of those awful black fern like things down there. If you touch them, it can really itch after a few days. Try to stay away from them, but it is possible that you may accidentally touch them at some point, especially if you are wearing a shorty.

Unless you have learned how to safely deploy a safety sausage from depth, don't bother with the spool. (Or maybe an op will teach you how to do so, which is how I learned) But do bring the sausage. While it's better to send it up from depth,you can inflate it at the surface if you get separated, which is still better than nothing at all.

Compass is most unnecessary unless you are planning to do your AOW.

If you have them, I'd still bring along gloves if you dive outside the park or if you do the C-53 wreck (I find it boring but that's just me). It's in the park I know, but lots of bare, rough metal.

Outside of basic life support, my "must have"s include computer, dry bag, snacks (purchased in Mexico), whistle, SMB, sudafed, and small dive light (and I also have a bigger light although these can be rented). Don't forget insurance above and below water. ThenI have lots of camera crap but that's not essential.

Back
Top Bottom