What's better: Naui or Padi?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You really don't need to ask this question again. It has been asked many times. Do a search and you will see plenty of opinions.

However, most will say, "Find a 'Local Dive Shop' (LDS) that you feel comfortable with and go with whatever they teach."

That said, I was certified by PADI and my son is a PADI instructor. Why? Because that is what the best LDS in our area (Eugene Skin Divers) teaches.

I would give you this piece of advice. Don't go with a shop that pushes lots of gear at you or tries to get you into "pseudo tec" right away with backboards and doubles and expensive drysuits. You can do that in time as your interest grows. Find an established shop (ask for references) that seems to really love diving and has a good assortment of well maintained rental equipment that they use with their students. Your own mask and snorkel are enough to start with, and a well equipped shop can supply the rest as loaners for the class. When we took our class years ago, that's all anyone did, and the shop still has the same policy today.

Of course we own our own equipment now, which is what you will want to do if you get serious about diving. But we waited until we knew what we were buying and I'd give you the same advice. And when you find a good shop, support your LDS. An occasional internet buy is OK, but remember, you don't want your LDS to go out of business and not be around for advice (further classes and consultations), repair/service, and air fills!!!

drdaddy

Yes I did a search, It didnt come back with results. I have been told naui cause of their military background. They do train the militery ad I was told. Please I need the advise

(IMO) PADI if you want to be a recreational diver and NAUI if you are looking for more immersive, technical training. I have found PADI is excellent for 90% of the people out there, but what are you really looking for?

My OW course was through NAUI, and it was pretty thorough. However, a lot of it had to do with my instructor. I'd recommend interviewing the instructor at both the NAUI and PADI establishment, and going with whichever instructor you feel more comfortable learning from. If taught well, both NAUI and PADI will help you to become a safe and competent diver, but if taught poorly, it doesn't matter which one you go through.

This thread might help: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ad...-define-what-constitutes-good-instructor.html

As this sticky might also help:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne.../166469-what-consider-new-student-diving.html

Yes I did a search, It didnt come back with results. I have been told naui cause of their military background. They do train the militery ad I was told. Please I need the advise

Please be aware of advertising ploys. Most civilian agencies which do military instruction do so by bidding on the contract. There is no guarantee that the winning bid has the highest skill requirements. It simply means that they have won a bid. The other possibility is that a certain group agrees to do training to the Military's specifications, in which case they may not be giving the exact same training that a civilian would get. Considering some of the changes being implimented in NAUI's requirements, this may be the case.

Overall however, the advice given - go with the instructor/dive center which you feel the most comfortable with is indeed the best advice.

Take care,
George

All roads lead to the water... and all training is just a starting point... drdaddy's observations are good... and... last I heard, the military trains it's own and sets its own standards... don't get wrapped up in politics... pick one and get diving...

my instructor was a navy diver,and a friend i figure that was good,i was wrong he rush me tru training and dives and got my owd,was i ready no,he make it sound like it was noting to it,well i out of air on my dive at bahamas was that my mistake or poor training i think it is the two of them. i try diferents shops one guy said my equipment is no good and want to sell me 3200 of new equipment.another shop wants to train me on aop even after i told him im not very good diveing just now,last shop i call they said bring your equipment and train w it if u need or want to buy some new thats up to you we have rentals u can try and about training lets make you safe on the water first u can take your aow when u feel you are ready. i think i will try this last shop. hoppe this can help u

Back
Top Bottom