Whats happening to diving certification? Where have the standards gone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Had the depth gauge also. My wife's computer is wrist-mount, while her reg set-up still has the old console with depth gauge, tank pressure gauge, and compass. We also both make a habit of wearing a watch while diving as well. What we did that trip was swap consoles between our regs, so that she had the depth gauge on her computer, and I used the gauge on the console.

The math analogy isn't perfect, but I think it's still better than some of the other analogies being used. As a culture, we're getting too accustomed to letting electronics do our thinking for us, to the point that we fail to learn how to handle such tasks as math, spelling, direction finding, etc. when we don't have our electronic gizmos handy. Don't get me wrong - I'm not a luddite that advocates going back to old fashioned everything. I love my computer and GPS receiver, but I also know how to do math, how to spell and write a coherent sentence, and how to determine cardinal directions without gizmos.

There are far too many people in this country that, if something separated them from their electronic tools, they would be totally and absolutely lost on how to function. Heck, too many of them can't seem to get out of a parking space without gluing their cell phones to their ears. I've seen people texting the person sitting right next to them. Hello? You don't suppose you could just TALK to each other? Have we gotten so addicted to electronics that we can't even relate to other people on a face-to-face basis?

Just because you can do the tables does not mean you understand the first thing about decomression theory.

RE edit ... not if you are using one of the many inexpensive watches that have a depth gauge built in.

3. If you are thinking of getting a dive watch as a backup to your computer (along with the tables) consider this. I own 3 dive watches, all of which were given to me as gifts over the years. The cheapest one would cost you about $100 more than a basic dive computer. The most expensive watch costs much more than an expensive dive computer. Yes, you can get and use cheap Casios, but the point is that some dive computers, especially used ones, make cheaper backups to your main computer than a decent dive watch.

EDIT: lowtech reminded me below that if you are using a watch and tables as a backup to your computer, you also need to keep a spare depth gauge with you.

so why not just pick up an old Bottom Timer instead of a watch? They are built like tanks. I mean the old analog Princeton Tectonics model, btw. . .

I was certified last September and was shown tables, how to use them, and did exercises with them, though I was also told that computers are far more common now. I use my computer almost exclusively, but I know the tables just in case. Perhaps it's inconsistency with instructors?

I was certified last September and was shown tables, how to use them, and did exercises with them, though I was also told that computers are far more common now. I use my computer almost exclusively, but I know the tables just in case. Perhaps it's inconsistency with instructors?

Good show. As said, I use both depending on situations. I know it's taboo to say on SB to "do a search". But man, this has been discussed to death. THEY'RE BOTH GOOD--enough!

My $0.02:
The only thing a table teaches is that NDL is a function of depth and time... it doesn't teach anything more than that IMO. And to grasp that you don't neccessarily need to learn table as there are other ways to get this.
After OWD class, I never used tables again. And I've not seen a single person using tables in rec diving. Most dives are simply not square profile and the use of tables is inconvenient in most cases (this is a hobby that is supposed to be fun, right?!). Computers work perfectly fine in rec diving. Additionally, a computer failure in rec diving is a non issue as you can always surface in case of a malfunction and/or rely on your buddy for your way to the surface. Therefore, not teaching tables is logical consequent IMO as long as the saved time is used to teach some knowledge/skills that are actually relevant to real world rec diving (as opposed to the use of tables).

Having had a dive computer fail (long before its battery was supposed to die) on a long deco dive, I'm not so sure about doing away with tables. Of course now I dive with redundant computers to be safe.

No question in my mind that training has been greatly reduced since the days I did my OW in the 60s. What we covered in a single 3-week course back then now requires BOW, AOW and Rescue to cover. Of course a course like I took (Los Angeles County) would be extremely costly today (around $1,500 I'd guess) and dissuade a lot of people from taking up SCUBA. There is also a lot more equipment now than there was in the days of wingless backpacks, J-valves, no octo, no SPG and that does add to the time required to train.

Back
Top Bottom