What's wrong with this picture?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are a few misconceptions about certifying 12 year olds as divers that I would like to address. The first was that 12y/o children shouldn't dive because they feel they are invincible. That is no reason. So do 18 year olds. So do some older adults.

The second is that two 12 year olds in a buddy team are not safe. You are right. BUT, the cert that a 12 year old gets is a JUNIOR cert. One of the rules of a Jr card is that they must dive with an adult.

I have a 14 year old son and a 12 year old daughter who certified just two weeks ago. I sat through the classes with them, went on the checkouts and open water dives. I made sure the instructor was one I trusted and respected. I will tell you that they scored higher on the test, did better with skills and were more comfortable in the water than the majority of the adults I have seen.

Another case: A woman I dive with is 22 years old. She has been diving since the age of 13. She is one of the best divers I have ever buddied with.

Age can be a factor in learning to dive, but attitude is much more important.

The instructor should have made a better judgment call there! Sure he didn't want be a jerk, but that kid could have gotten killed! I feel 12 is way to young to be certified. It also seems to me there is a conflict of interested with the cert. agencies setting their own age limits for scuba certifications.

Chillywill

with a friend who was 14... he dives so much better than his friend. He is also the FIRST to abort a dive. To me that speaks maturity. Could he lift my lifeless body out of hte drink? Nope, that's why we don't dive alone.

I really wish everyone would stop blaming the cert agency for setting the age limit. That like so many other things, is a PARENTAL decision. If you don't feel your child is ready, don't let them dive. Don't say it is the agency's fault. Everytime something goes wrong, it is not the agency. They mandate what you need to know to dive it is THE DIVER who must put this to use. Or, in the case of minors, the PARENT.

As far as the "can a child pull me out of the water" or "swim me to safety" chant, there are alot of small or out of shape adults who can't do either. That is why YOU, as a diver, are responsible for setting your limits. This is RECREATIONAL diving (yes, even you tecchies are doing this recreationally) NOT the Navy SEALs.

YOU as the diver (or the parent of a minor diver) are the one most responsible for your safety. If something goes wrong, it is most likely YOUR fault.

Remember, you can lead a man to knowledge, but you can't make him think.

DivingGal,

I expressed my opinion incorrectly -- you're right, adults often realize dangers, but downplay the fact that it could actually happen to them. They realize that diving can kill you, but they believe they aren't as "stupid" as those people that have died before them, and are therefore exempt from those risks. Children often completely misunderstand the risks in the first place. IMO, that makes children even more dangerous than cowboys.

NetDoc,

I'd expect that your kids have quite an advantage by having a father who is an accomplished diver. Having a parent's hand to hold through certification can certainly minimize a lot of the risks. I don't see a problem in certifying a 12 year old, given that his/her parent(s) are competent, and are committed to taking the child under their wing(s). A twelve year old with a competent parent acting as a full-time "pseudo-instructor" is probably ok. A random twelve year old thrown in a class of adults is, however, not acceptable, IMO.

- Warren

I think we're all in some kind of agreement. Why?

We all agree that:
  • idiots can occur at any age
  • responsible people can occur at any age
  • you buddy may have physical limitations that may prevent them from rescuing you (I know I'd have trouble hauling out a buddy that's double my size)
  • we choose our own buddy - if you don't feel safe with the buddy why are you diving with them?

Agencies set limits, but it's parents who give the approval for their children to take the lessons, and you (as a diver) who accept the responsibility and risk of diving with them.

I am hesitant when it comes to certifying young children. however, my reservations have more to do with the parent than the child. Most children seem to aquire the phisical skills far easier than their adult counterparts. In fact, ability and atitude are a no brainer. If they perform (meet the requirements) they dive. If they don't meet the requirements they don't dive. Easy. A Jr. cert qualifies them to dive with a adult. It is the atitude of the adult that concerns me. I turn away some young students due to the atitude and skill level of the parent. Parents who do not seek to further their own abilities and knowlege need not bring their children to me. My son started diving at thirteen. He is one of my prefered partners. His skills and composure rank with the best of them. He is now 16. After tagging along during many classes, he is better able to forsee and respond to student problems than most DMs.

I had this GREAT comeback and there you go and compliment me. Thats not fightin' fair you know! Thanks for the kind words... and actually, knowing that my family would be diving together was the impetus for me furthering my training. I want to "Be Prepared" for what ever comes my way. Can you tell I do a lot with Scouts???

Speaking of which, the BSA has a 14 year minimum for participation in any SCUBA activity under it's auspices. I can not even take my son on a BSA sanctioned dive trip. Most of the kids in my Venture Scuba Crew are 14 with one or two that are fifteen. That seems like a great age to start to me.

Originally posted by NetDoc
I had this GREAT comeback and there you go and compliment me. Thats not fightin' fair you know! Thanks for the kind words... and actually, knowing that my family would be diving together was the impetus for me furthering my training. I want to "Be Prepared" for what ever comes my way. Can you tell I do a lot with Scouts???

Now who gave you a compliment? (you do earn them don't get me wrong.....:D)

Bravo for furthering your training.

I have a story that will ilicit replies. My nephew wanted to learn to dive at age 12. His parents were all for it. This past summer, I took him into five feet of water (he is an excellent swimmer), gave him my octopus and we did a five minute tour around my sister's dock.

After that five minutes, I told my sister that he was not ready to dive and she should not allow it for a few more years. I based my opinion (I'm not an instructor or DM - "just a dive") on how comfortable he was. He struck me as cavalier and reckless. He also has a short attention span.

I know I should not have taken him down (he is over 5' so he could have stood up at any time) but I'm glad I did. His parents have taken my advice and I think I may have prevented problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom