When does a new diver become ‘advanced’!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a left hand single valve or the left side one of the doubles valve assembly with the manifold hole plugged.
Sorry, I took your comment to mean what I would call a left handed valve which is one that opens clockwise, what you are talking about is the same valve just with the valve handle on the opposite side of the valve post.

but of course you have to define advanced.
I once did advanced nitrox. Does that make me advanced or just my breathing gas? :rolleyes:
Sorry, I took your comment to mean what I would call a left handed valve which is one that opens clockwise, what you are talking about is the same valve just with the valve handle on the opposite side of the valve post.
You do have a point here!
Although every single valve opens anti-clockwise and closes clockwise, it can be quite a mindfcuk during a valvedrill: turning both valves in the same direction at the same time opens the right post and closes the left one.
There's also the roll-on of the right valve and roll-off of the left valve (in overhead environments), some students just can't get that into their mind.

Notwithstanding BWRAF (which is a dumb mnemonic anyway) buddy checks can, and do save lives.
I agree, a buddy check is important but it doesn't necessarily have to be a formal process. I could never remember BWRAF anyway!. Not only is it good practice to look over your buddy's gear to ensure he/she is ready to dive, it is also for your own safety. Look for the octopus, its location and colour. Is it working? Is your buddy configured to donate the primary or secondary reg? Does he/she use an Air 2? The buddy check is a good time to compare tank pressure and discuss turnaround times either based on time or remaining bar/psi. Its also a good time to confirm who will lead the dive, emergency signals and what to do if you lose each other. This predive chat doesn't replace a proper dive plan per se; its just a confirmation and its particularly important if you are diving with an insta-buddy. I believe the predive check and chat demonstrates a level of professionalism, leadership and a duty of care to your buddy and your own safety.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

please remember which subforum you are posting in and not let this thread evolve off topic and beyond the original scope

Eventually?

The buddy check is a good time to compare tank pressure and discuss turnaround times either based on time or remaining bar/psi. Its also a good time to confirm who will lead the dive, emergency signals and what to do if you lose each other.
Allow me to disagree. That pre-dive chat should be done long before the buddy check.

This predive chat doesn't replace a proper dive plan per se; its just a confirmation and its particularly important if you are diving with an insta-buddy.
Like I said, it doesn't replace a proper dive plan. Its more of a confirmation/understanding. You and your buddy may be very familiar with the dive site. You know the plan, you've dived the site a number of times over the years, you are just confirming that the turnaround time will be 100 bar and if separated look for a minute or two and then meet at the surface. Its as simple as that. Don't assume. The chat can happen while gearing up or if a shore dive, while walking down the beach to the waters edge. You both know what you are doing, just verbally confirming it to each other.

Another example is you are on your club dive boat and the plan is to dive a particular site. Due to weather and ocean conditions the site is unsuitable. Someone suggests an alternative site. Its decided to check it out; no guarantee. It looks good, you drop anchor. Unlike other members on the boat you may not be familiar with the site. While you are gearing up, the team discuss the new dive plan. A diver vomits over the side of the boat; not feeling well and doesn't want to dive. So now there are three of you diving together. Make sure everyone understands the change in plan. As for the buddy check, it may be more effective for those staying on the boat to look over each diver before they roll over the side. Certainly plan your dive but be prepared for contingencies and change your plan accordingly. In summary, ensure your gear is good to go and ensure everyone diving with you understands the agreed dive plan before your head hits the water.

My two cents: You should always check your dive buddy's equipment, and you should always assume that your dive buddy will NOT properly check any of your equipment, even if your buddy claims to have done so.

I was told "You'll be an advanced diver after your first real accident, depending on how you react, and you will be able to decide for yourself". Toss in some semi-random expletives and a bad attitude for accuracy, but I figured I'd remember it like that. It took a while, and the label wasn't important to me after.

Bob
Just another SCUBA diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom