When to Scrub a Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That would piss my wife off blaming her. While at the house, car won't start, got a flat, equipment failed a check, whatever. But don't blame your wife. That's lame.
A lot of wives(and girlfriends) explicitly offer this as one of the benefits of being in a relationship. In that case it's cool, use it (and you should offer the service in return). If she would be in the slightest upset if she overheard you using it, then it's lame.

A lot of wives(and girlfriends) explicitly offer this as one of the benefits of being in a relationship. In that case it's cool, use it (and you should offer the service in return). If she would be in the slightest upset if she overheard you using it, then it's lame.
I think when people are that controlling, it isn't healthy, but it also isn't my business. I just would never put up with that and neither would my wife. When I joined a ski patrol, one of the other patrollers told his wife on their first date "I was skiing when I met you, I'll be skiing when I forget you." Replace "skiing" with "diving", and I told my wife that early in the relationship. She loves to ski, and I encourage her to pursue that as well as other activities (my wife is quite active and hates to sit still for long). I like diving. I used to really enjoy skiing, but I lost interest after I started diving. I do like photography once in a while and will disappear to do that on rare occasion. Not my circus, but I'd prefer people not to use that excuse with me, as I'd respect them and their partner less.

Listen to your gut. If you look at the water and "something feels off" just pass until the next dive. Your subconscious may have seen something you didn't notice. Don't ignore that feeling.

I run boats for a living and I tell my deck guys, if you feel bad about a job, say something. We'll figure it out and move on. Same with diving. Speak up and don't be afraid to scrub the dive. We'll figure it out.

It's always better to be on the surface wishing you made the dive than to be underwater wishing you were on the surface.

I have a three strike rule. If three things go wrong before or during the dive I am done no matter what I am feeling about the dive. If before the dive it usually means I am not taking this seriously enough and it is time to go home and start again another day. Outside of three strikes I will also call a dive if something does not feel right. Intuition is more often right than wrong so I go with it.

I mostly dive solo so rarely pressured into diving but even solo the amount of work involved getting to the water can create its own pressure.

Once took my boat out to a new to me dive site a couple of hours boat ride away. Mooring buoy that was supposed to be there was not. Set the anchor, got completely geared up ready to splash. Something did not feel right. Called the dive. As I was getting my gear off the wind changed direction and the anchor pulled free. Now I planned to go down the line and check the anchor because of the location, but who knows. If I had allowed the “I have spent several hours and significant $ getting here” to overrule my “feelings”???

That would piss my wife off blaming her. While at the house, car won't start, got a flat, equipment failed a check, whatever. But don't blame your wife. That's lame.
If my wife doesn't want me to go then I tell my buddies that. We have a rule for thumbing an activity and either one can do so at any time. Mutual respect for eachother and our leisure pastimes. You do have an inflated opinion on which pillar your girls live on in your life and that is great. My wife was a Marine and we're quite content with our roles in the relationship and what we can and do day to eachother. We generally apply the same to our kids. 16 yo daughter has a job and pays her insurance. 13 yo boy is my labor slave and is stronger than most his age and size.

These are the things that I hope are repeated over and over even in, or especially in, a training environment. Anybody can stop the work (or the dive) for any reason.
It's a fairly common statement in the instructor circles I know.
Its all too common for students to not disclosed issues until after the fact. Some of this stems from the fast pace of some courses, pressure from family/friends/instructor to complete, cost to reschedule, don't want to appear as the "weak" link, and list goes on.
I've sat on the shore with classes after evaluating conditions and watched other classes enter and get beat up by waves. Helped pull too many divers and students out over the years. Being local, you may understand Bear Lake is not friendly sometimes after 2:00pm or with a southerly wind you can "surf" Sand Hollow.

I think when people are that controlling, it isn't healthy, but it also isn't my business. I just would never put up with that and neither would my wife. When I joined a ski patrol, one of the other patrollers told his wife on their first date "I was skiing when I met you, I'll be skiing when I forget you." Replace "skiing" with "diving", and I told my wife that early in the relationship. She loves to ski, and I encourage her to pursue that as well as other activities (my wife is quite active and hates to sit still for long). I like diving. I used to really enjoy skiing, but I lost interest after I started diving. I do like photography once in a while and will disappear to do that on rare occasion. Not my circus, but I'd prefer people not to use that excuse with me, as I'd respect them and their partner less.
I think you misunderstood. The wife (or girlfriend) isn't saying you can't go. They are giving you a free pass to used them as an excuse any time you don't want to give your real reason. "If you don't want to go, and don't want to tell them the real reason, just say I made the decision."

I have a three strike rule. If three things go wrong before or during the dive I am done no matter what I am feeling about the dive. If before the dive it usually means I am not taking this seriously enough and it is time to go home and start again another day. Outside of three strikes I will also call a dive if something does not feel right. Intuition is more often right than wrong so I go with it.

I mostly dive solo so rarely pressured into diving but even solo the amount of work involved getting to the water can create its own pressure.

Once took my boat out to a new to me dive site a couple of hours boat ride away. Mooring buoy that was supposed to be there was not. Set the anchor, got completely geared up ready to splash. Something did not feel right. Called the dive. As I was getting my gear off the wind changed direction and the anchor pulled free. Now I planned to go down the line and check the anchor because of the location, but who knows. If I had allowed the “I have spent several hours and significant $ getting here” to overrule my “feelings”???
Yes. On "iffy" days I'll have all my stuff ready to go to the car the day before (or in it's usual pre-dive place in winter), etc. and can decide in the morning whether to go or to pull it back for tomorrow. No real extra work.

If you are in a relation ship and either of you use the other as an excuse
it shows a complete lack of respect for the group you obviously have no relationship with, and are lying to
and as neither of you seem to have enough stones, complete lack of respect for yourselves and each other
and, who wants to visit a couple whose spouse is like that, unless you enjoy sitting in a shed, drinking beer
with the same sex, how great, and stop all conversation everytime one of the opposite sex enter the room

Like the dog ate my homework, and the term roommates you should have left these funny ideas at school

So just as you contemplate calling a dive, recite the oft repeated mantra and after it also add
within reason

So that's any reason within reason

The adage now seems to be making its way into ordinary recreational diving. My guess is most of us here believe that is a good thing.

When you cry wolf too many times some doors may close

Back
Top Bottom