When to start tech diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2OADDICT

New
Reaction score
I am fairly new to this wonderful sport and am totally addicted. I got my open water the beginning of last summer, got my advanced and 25 dives by the end of the summer. I have been diving with the Rescue Squad Dive Team since then. I just took my Stress and Rescue course and I am ready to learn more. I have 40 logged dives and most of them are local black water dives with high currents. I have logged night, wreck, and Nitrox dives.

My question to the Tech community is whether or not now is an appropriate time to move on to some more technical ventures. I love to dive whether it's blue or black water, good or bad conditions, I am just ready to explore more and go deeper, longer, and farther.

I understand from my local TDI instructor that Advanced Nitrox and Decompression would be the next step. As another option however, I'm also interested in the cave world. Any recommendations??

As a general rule, someone with 40 dives doesn't have the experience base to proceed into technical diving. Sorry. Lots of the skills that most new divers are still working on developing need to be second nature before you cross the line from recreational to technical. In addition to the skills, there is a general competence that comes from a lot more repetition than you have, yet.

The next step for you is either an entry level decompression/gas class or cavern, I don't know that it matters much which one. In either case, my rule of thumb for anyone crossing out of recreational into either professional ranks or technical ranks is at least 100 dives within the past two years. It sounds like you're having fun while you're gaining experience, so enjoy it and gain some more. It ain't a race, the caves and wrecks will still be there.

it took me 10years of diving and over 500 dives before i took the step over to technical diving.

/Jonny

H2OADDICT:
I understand from my local TDI instructor that Advanced Nitrox and Decompression would be the next step. As another option however, I'm also interested in the cave world. Any recommendations??

That is a good recommendation, about 250 or so dives from now...maybe.

Being "totally addicted" doesn't count for much, sorry. You need experience, experience, then more experience. Also, lots of disposable income helps.

MD

when to start tech diving? when you can honestly tell
yourself that you can handle the next step. if you are not sure
(probably because you don't know how to
judge this) you are not ready.

how do you tell? here are some questions:

*have you got a good grasp of the basic OW skills, bouyancy and trim being primary?

*are you at ease in the water?

*are you "ahead of the dive?" if you lose control of
what you are doing (ascent, descent, whatever) you
need to work on that.

*is your understanding of diving physiology and gas
interaction with the body solid?

these are just some of the questions. here is
GUE's take on it, which i think is a good one:

http://www.gue.com/classroom/gue-faq1.html#ready

i started diving in June, 2001. after about 40 dives, I
took the AOW and Nitrox classes.

after about 50 dives, i took my cavern class.

i have 76 dives right now and feel ready for intro. to cave,
which I have scheduled in May.

as far as equipment goes, I've done it as cheaply
as i could, and ive still spent about $1,500 to gear up
for cavern and cave (mostly cave). the new equipment
included:

*good canister light
*two back up lights
*main reel
*safety reel
*additional first stage and second stage
*seven foot hose for primary reg

at 80 or so dives by the time i start cave, do i have enough
experience to do so? my performance at cavern, my diving
since, and my gut tells me yes.

only you can answer that question. if you can't, then
it means you're not ready ... yet :wink:

H2OADDICT:
I am fairly new to this wonderful sport and am totally addicted. I got my open water the beginning of last summer, got my advanced and 25 dives by the end of the summer. I have been diving with the Rescue Squad Dive Team since then. I just took my Stress and Rescue course and I am ready to learn more. I have 40 logged dives and most of them are local black water dives with high currents. I have logged night, wreck, and Nitrox dives.

My question to the Tech community is whether or not now is an appropriate time to move on to some more technical ventures. I love to dive whether it's blue or black water, good or bad conditions, I am just ready to explore more and go deeper, longer, and farther.

Your still new to diving. Enjoy all the sights you can at the recreational level. Some people actually move on to tech because they become bored with recreational diving. This certainly doesn't sound like it defines you...your loving it right now. I'd say slow down and enjoy it. Realize as well that once you get into tech diving you are talking about alot of money. You gear will consist of very expensive drysuits, double cylinders, wings/BP, at LEAST 2 1st stage/2nd stage, probably some deco bottles which means more 1st and 2nd stages, can lights, reels, spools etc and a whole crap load of training.

I think I'll stop now because I'm realizing I spent enough money on my gear for a downpayment on a house!!

Enjoy your diving!

H2OADDICT:

If there are caves in your area, then I would say, Sure! Dive caves!

However since you live in South Carolina, near lots of shipwrecks, I would suggest going that direction. Unless you actually plan to enter a shipwreck, or unless you actually plan to enter caves, then cave training is "nice" but not that much good to you.

So basically you should first answer the question, WHY do you want to start doing this?

If you simply want to expand your scuba training, then advanced nitrox is a great class, together with deco procedures, to extend your bottom time and/or dive deeper.

Deeper is where most shipwrecks are. The EANx lets you go to the next deeper level. With EAN25 and EAN50 you could dive wrecks in the 100 to 125 depth level. Deeper than that and you would want helitrox, heliox, or trimix.

If youre not interest in shipwrecks at all, then going straight to cave training would be fine and dandy.

It all depends on your ultimate goal.

One thing to remember is that caverns are fun, whereas caves are spooky. And shipwreck external surveys are fun, whereas shipwreck penetrations are also spooky. The interior of a shipwreck is probably the most dangerous place underwater on this earth. Caves are in a close 2nd place.

Another thing to think about is that if you are really a photographer, then open circuit is probably not your best bet. And therefore spending any more money on open circuit is probably a waste of money. Therefore if you gravitate to closed circuit, then you would be better off doing all your cave training on closed circuit, and finding a closed circuit cave/wreck instructor would make more sense than jumping right into cave training right now.

H2O-Andy's checklist is a good way to sort out where you stand now and where you should go next.

I have a question. I finished my DM course last year and have logged 175 dives, most 25 meters or deeper. My deepest dive was to 61.5 m last weekend with my DM instructor. I don't care to do cave diving, and am quite happy with rec diving. It's just that once in a while I like to go deep, for a change. I have been working my way deeper, bit by bit, getting the feel for it, learning to recognize my limits and when to call it quits. What course should I take? Here in southern Arabia, there are no deeeeeeep wrecks or anything, so the typical deep dive is for us to go to X-meters, and then work our way shallow, to finish the dive, and off gas as needed on the way, and to continue as air allows at about 5-7 meters, where one could spend hours on the corals, walls...etc. I only do this with my former DM instructor who has almost a thousand dives. Anyway, just thought to put in my 2 cents worth of question here. Thanks...

Jeddah Aquanaut:
I finished my DM course last year and have logged 175 dives, most 25 meters or deeper. My deepest dive was to 61.5 m last weekend with my DM instructor. I only do this with my former DM instructor who has almost a thousand dives. Anyway, just thought to put in my 2 cents worth of question here. Thanks...

You did a single tank air bounce dive to over 200fsw and "just worked your way back up"?
No offense, but your common sense is only slightly less lacking than the instructor who took you there. At least he should know better. No, I take that back. Being a DM, you should too. And being a "DM instructor" doesn't count for much at that depth IMO.

The time to ask about your qualifications and what training you needed was before you did this. Geez.

H2OADDICT:

The simple answer for 90+% of all divers is, NEVER ! For those few who will venture on, it will be time, patience and practice. Not just a lot of diving, but a lot of good diving, or a lot of diving well if you will. As stated by others above. Perfect all the basics 1st, before looking forward.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom