When to start tech diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If someone KNOWS that they will be getting into rebreathers then they are probably better going that way sooner rather than later.

Tech diving in OC does only a little to prepare a diver for RB.
How can someone just beginning in tech know whether or not they are going to get into rebreathers?

"Tech diving is not a goal but a methoud there should be no "point" where you automaticaly quallify. As others stated you could have 1,000 dives and not be ready."

Ancient proverb from ' Tao of Deep u Go ' ... crouching lobster broken jetfin version.

pipedope:
...Back to the original question, when to start tech?
While the transition can start at nearly any time with additional training ans study the diver still needs to build a substantial base of experience at each level before doing more advanced dives.
Nearly ALL skill needed for tech diving can be practiced and perfected in shallow water on air or nitrox.

There is not really any number of dives or years of diving that is enough but more a matter of variety of experiences underwater. Diving in different bodies of water, with different weather, different temperatures, different vis, current, no current, etc. Doing the same dive 100 times is not the same as doing 100 uniquely different dives.

Gee, I think I am rambling again, :D

Michael it is fun to follow your ramblings. So don't apologize!

This fellow, H2OAddict, posed his question about a month ago. Its one of those classic questions that comes up often.

The question always betrays a certain intent.

Fundamentally speaking, why does anyone feel a need to dive deeper than 20 to 50 ft? How much deeper, how much longer, and why?

In H2OAddict's case, since he is located in the Carolinas, one of the Top 3 places in the USA to scuba dive (the other two being Florida and Hawaii), I would guess he is intrigued by sunken German submarines and American merchant ships.

But I am guessing here. If it is a good guess, then I think he should find a local dive store, or a coastal Carolina dive store, with a great reputation, and ask THEM what THEY think.

One of the instructors there will take him on a few dives, and figure out exactly what he needs, in terms of diver development. That instructor will likely be either with IANTD, ANDI, NACD, TDI, NAUI, or GUE.

That should answer the question.

I really do not believe that the readers of Scubaboard are well served if every post is answered with a boilerplate advertisment for DIRF or for backplate and harness.

pipedope:
If someone KNOWS that they will be getting into rebreathers then they are probably better going that way sooner rather than later.

Tech diving in OC does only a little to prepare a diver for RB.

I will quote for Richard Pyle, "A Learner's Guide To Closed-Circuit Rebreather Operations":
"vast amounts of open-circuit diving experience does not help one learn how to dive with a rebreather as much as a solid understanding of gas physics and diving physiology does"

A RB diver with 200 hours OC and 800 hours RB is likely more safe on a RB than one who has 800 hours OC and 200 hours RB.

Back to the original question, when to start tech?
While the transition can start at nearly any time with additional training ans study the diver still needs to build a substantial base of experience at each level before doing more advanced dives.
Nearly ALL skill needed for tech diving can be practiced and perfected in shallow water on air or nitrox.

There is not really any number of dives or years of diving that is enough but more a matter of variety of experiences underwater. Diving in different bodies of water, with different weather, different temperatures, different vis, current, no current, etc. Doing the same dive 100 times is not the same as doing 100 uniquely different dives.

Gee, I think I am rambling again, :D

At least it's making sense.... :D

R..

O-ring:
How can someone just beginning in tech know whether or not they are going to get into rebreathers?

If my reason for tech diving is to photo or video deep sea creatures then I am very quickly going to know that there is a major advantage (actually more than one) to CCR RB.

pipedope:
If my reason for tech diving is to photo or video deep sea creatures then I am very quickly going to know that there is a major advantage (actually more than one) to CCR RB.

Good, Michael, now you are thinking straight.

O-ring:

I can't make that judgment even now.

I'd have to make 1/2 dozen dives in one to even get a sense of if were worth going back to square one for what it gains you .....

R..

IndigoBlue:
Fundamentally speaking, why does anyone feel a need to dive deeper than 20 to 50 ft? How much deeper, how much longer, and why?

Yes, this is the key question and something that good tech instructors will explore with a prospective student before starting training.

Some people go deeper simply because they can.
Some go deeper to see specific wrecks.
Some go deeper to see specific marine life.
Some go deeper to do a specific job.
Some go deeper to explore and see what they can find.

What is a good reason?
What is the best reason?

For me the reason doesn't matter so much as the personal choice that FOR ME the reward is worth the risk.

When I flew Hang Gliders, lots of people would crash on launch because they would not run hard enough or they were tentative in their launch. I never blew a launch and part of the reason was that right before stepping up to launch I would tell myself that I could be seriously hurt or die doing this and asked, "Is it worth it?" If the answer was YES! then I would launch. If the answer was NO then I would not fly.

Same in diving, risk vs reward.

If the reward is not worth the risk, the reward is not worth the risk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom