When to start tech diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2OADDICT:
<snip>

My question to the Tech community is whether or not now is an appropriate time to move on to some more technical ventures. I love to dive whether it's blue or black water, good or bad conditions, I am just ready to explore more and go deeper, longer, and farther.

<snip>

I would advise against it for now. Clearly there are wide variations in natural ability but on the whole I think the "average" rec diver doesn't look particularly good in the water until about the 200 mark.

Something else to consider is that the number of dives says absolutely nothing about your psychological suitability. This is almost certainly more important than your dive skills...

For the time being, why don't you take a DIR-F course instead? From what I've heard it's a very good start and will probably clean up some bad habits before they get too ingrained.

R..

I agree with Diver0001. I would take a DIR-F.

I would also suggest the DIR-F even if you do not plan to become a GUE/DIR diver. The course is a great way to find out many things that are possible that you might not even think of for a long time on your own.

pipedope:
I would also suggest the DIR-F even if you do not plan to become a GUE/DIR diver. The course is a great way to find out many things that are possible that you might not even think of for a long time on your own.

Michael gave you one example of the many questions you need to ask yourself, before you jump into technical diving.

Besides the DIRF question, there is the CCR and SCR question, as well as the sidemount question. Each of those requires consideration of substantial gear purchases, other than what you probably already have. Each of those will take you down a road that is not interchangeable with the others.

Its not just about deeper and deeper or longer and longer.

IndigoBlue:
Michael gave you one example of the many questions you need to ask yourself, before you jump into technical diving.

Besides the DIRF question, there is the CCR and SCR question, as well as the sidemount question. Each of those requires consideration of substantial gear purchases, other than what you probably already have. Each of those will take you down a road that is not interchangeable with the others.

Its not just about deeper and deeper or longer and longer.
Good point, there are lots of questions that should be running around in one's noggin when beginning to look into technical diving. However, I can't imagine that SCR/CCR or sidemount should be one of them. IMHO, the beginning technical diver has no business on any of these things until he/she has exhausted his/her possibilities on standard backmount open circuit.

O-ring:
Good point, there are lots of questions that should be running around in one's noggin when beginning to look into technical diving. However, I can't imagine that SCR/CCR or sidemount should be one of them. IMHO, the beginning technical diver has no business on any of these things until he/she has exhausted his/her possibilities on standard backmount open circuit.

I generally prefer to start my tech diving about late morning but I think there are exceptions to the sidemount thing. Some dive sidemount exclusively from the very beginning and for good reason although around here they would be an extreme minority.

O-ring:

Good point as well.

But you would be surprised at the growing number of divers who choose early-on to go down the SCR road, followed by the CCR. Especially photographers or videographers.

I dive backmounted twin tanks. However in todays day and age, I am not sure if this is still a cutting edge technology.

If someone KNOWS that they will be getting into rebreathers then they are probably better going that way sooner rather than later.

Tech diving in OC does only a little to prepare a diver for RB.

I will quote for Richard Pyle, "A Learner's Guide To Closed-Circuit Rebreather Operations":
"vast amounts of open-circuit diving experience does not help one learn how to dive with a rebreather as much as a solid understanding of gas physics and diving physiology does"

A RB diver with 200 hours OC and 800 hours RB is likely more safe on a RB than one who has 800 hours OC and 200 hours RB.

Back to the original question, when to start tech?
While the transition can start at nearly any time with additional training ans study the diver still needs to build a substantial base of experience at each level before doing more advanced dives.
Nearly ALL skill needed for tech diving can be practiced and perfected in shallow water on air or nitrox.

There is not really any number of dives or years of diving that is enough but more a matter of variety of experiences underwater. Diving in different bodies of water, with different weather, different temperatures, different vis, current, no current, etc. Doing the same dive 100 times is not the same as doing 100 uniquely different dives.

Gee, I think I am rambling again, :D

Just some general thoughts that poped into my head as I read this, there not directed at any one so take them as just conclusions I have come to........

If your asking if your ready chances are that your not.

As I read this i thought to myself when did I become a "tech" diver? I coudent answer myself becouse the transition took so long. Tech diving is not a goal but a methoud there should be no "point" where you automaticaly quallify. As others stated you could have 1,000 dives and not be ready.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom