When to winterize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't decided where I am in the water temp decisions. I have been in Ginnie Springs where the temp is 72 yearround, however, my gauge read 69 a few times. I was in 3mil with .5skin. one time and 5mil with skins last time. Our river has been about 65-72 last few weeks and I have been cold in 3 and 5 mil suits. towards the end of the dive, we average about 50 minutes of bottom time on a drift dive there. I do know I love warm oceans, but I get very depressed if I am out of the water for more than two weeks.

Originally posted by Callie
Candy A***d Diver all the way! Nothing beats 86 degree water and no suit :eek:.

Callie, I don't know if that makes you a canditate for the Candy A***d Diver's club, or the Nature diver's club--86 degrees and "NO SUIT."

All this talk about warm clear diving is a myth in the North East. Went diving Saturday and the water temp was a lovely 55 degrees. My 7mm wet suit did the trick just fine. Heck I think my next scuba purchase will be a chain saw so I can cut through the ice this winter!!

I think I have become a board member of the Candy a_s diving club.

I was taught to dive in the UK and have dived in a 7 mm long john only, no over jacket, for 35 minutes in 40 deg F.

I have been spoilt rotten by Thailand and Malaysia.

There was even some talk of me getting back into the UK waters. But I just went to the UK dive show and was going to buy a dry suit ... honest!!! :wink:
Just did not seem right to spend £450 ($600) on a dry suit and £150 ($200) on and undersuit to dive three times ayear in the UK.
Although it has to be said the desire to take photgraphs of 3 foot long pike at six in the morning through a petrified forest of underwater trees with the sun light shining through the water and trees, or large tench in the inside of a helicopter is getting fairly strong!

Ah, those wonderful days in Stoney - I'm sure I will miss it for the next couple of years!!! At least I think that is where you are referring to but the 6am reference has me a bit confused - have they changed their hours?

I hear tales of getting into the bottom car park and near perfect vis recently - I'm still waiting on the BSAC definition of near perfect vis as I bet she could not see the bus from the cockpit or the Stanegarth from what is left of the helicopter.

Go on do it - you know you want to!! Says someone who is safely tucked away where I am told in Feb the water gets to it's coldest - a balmy 14 degrees for us Brits..........

Jonathan

Last weekend the temp was 12 deg C.... not the best temp for an ill fitting wet suit .. :cold:

and you *have* to be at the entrance by no later then 6:30 am, otherwise, you get to sit in the car queue until noon until folks start moving out ;-0

We are a growing mass--I guess there could have been a better choice of words: that sorta sounds like something from a B-grade science fiction movie--the CAD now has a new Board Member: Belushi!

This is the way the founders figured it: he is the only DM amongst us and that made him an obvious candidate to be an officer. And to put a cap on it, he admitted in public that he used a dry suit at 70 deg F (or so...we do stretch the truth from time to time to make a point).

Joewr...founder and chief recruiter for the CAD (politically correct for Candy ___ Divers)

I hate to admit it guys but as I was starting with the divers DT's (I haven't been sub for over 2 weeks now) I was actually contemplating getting in touch with Belushi and Scuba Baby to see if they could talk me into water less than 70 deg F (I don't know what came over me). So imagine my intense relief at reading Belushi's last post! (BTW: Welcome, Officer) There was a small possibility that they could have talked me into it but that 6am bit sealed the coffin. It's bad enough getting up at 5am to dive but to dive in the COLD !?! No, way. :D

Gayle - (thankfully) still a card carrying member of CAD :wink:

Escuse me, Amoeba, I need to make a short announcement:

Fishkiller, please clear your mailbox...

And now we return to our regularly scheduled posts...

Amoeba,

That was a close one! Did you see pink elephants during your DDT's? Very serious...However, I am actually thinking of diving a submarine off the east coast of America next year...68 deg F...I may have to do it incognito in order to preserve my reputation. You won't tell anyone, will you?

Joewr...We few, we happy few, we band of (many)brothers (and many sisters)...again, with apologies to the Bard of Avon...

Back
Top Bottom