where to dive round in november

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thebib

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi,

We have just booked a flight to Kuala Lumpur for early November and we’re now looking for diving options in the region knowing to Air Asia has plenty of destinations leaving from Kuala Lumpur.

Today, Borneo (sipadan-mabul) is our preferred option, but we are also considering Bali-Lombok and Sulawesi.
Where you recommend diving in the region in early November (the first 2 weeks) ?
November is the start of the rainy season in the Malaysian peninsula as well as most of Indonesia.
Where are we likely to have the best weather condition ?

I have given up trying to predict tropical weather.

You will either get lucky or hear....."you should have been here last week!"

My favourite is Sipadan for the whole experience but do you have any special critters you would like to see?

If it were me and those were the choices, I'd go to Sulawesi, and in particular North Sulawesi. You can easily spend a couple of weeks there just diving if you consider Lembeh, Bunaken, Gangga, etc. I love Sipadan, too, and you can dive year round (even when the conditions are less than ideal), but two weeks is a long time there, IMO.

we have 2 weeks to spend, but we also plan some others activities depending on the location. I know Sabah is also famous for Kota Kinabalu climnb, the Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre and nature observation,

I don´t know what is worth to see and how easy is it to travel around in Sulawesi ?

I´ve also read some very interesting post on Philippines,,,
From a budget perspe4ctivem is there a big difference between these destinations ?

From a diving perspective, we´re advanced divers, but with limited experience (+/- 30 dives), We dived in Roatan (honduras), martinique and Thailand (Kho lipe, Similan-Surin). We loved the liveaboard on Similan and specialy the mantas in Kho bon.

We like Big stuffs, wrecks as well as Macro (in short diversity),

we have 2 weeks to spend, but we also plan some others activities depending on the location. I know Sabah is also famous for Kota Kinabalu climnb, the Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre and nature observation

There are lots to do in Sabah or nearby Sarawak, you could stay a month without getting bored but again, land activities will depend on the weather. Onthespot replied for it : Unpredictable is the word.

Btw, rather than Sepilok I would prefer the Kinabatangan adventure for Orang Utangs REALLY in the wild and nature observation.

I don´t know what is worth to see and how easy is it to travel around in Sulawesi ?
Tana Toraja, central Sulawesi, it's a unique culture based on buffaloes and a mix of animism and christianism. Beautiful mountaineous landscapes, superb treks in the paddy fields, charming people. You must stay at least 3 full days around Rantepao and hire a driver/guide, which is quite cheap in Indonesia.
It's easily accessible from Makassar (1h30 flight from Manado and half day car ride to Rantepao).

I´ve also read some very interesting post on Philippines,,,
From a budget perspe4ctivem is there a big difference between these destinations ?
Sipadan should be the most expensive if you're staying at one of the 4 resorts. There are also budget accoms, though with the diving it might the more expensive.

North Sulawesi is in between, you can find relatively budget operations in Bunaken or Bangka. Lembeh should be a little more expensive.

Philippiines is easily the cheapest for diving and beer (San Miguel is probably cheaper than bottled water :shocked2: ).

From a diving perspective, we´re advanced divers, but with limited experience (+/- 30 dives), We dived in Roatan (honduras), martinique and Thailand (Kho lipe, Similan-Surin). We loved the liveaboard on Similan and specialy the mantas in Kho bon.

We like Big stuffs, wrecks as well as Macro (in short diversity)

Forget about wrecks except in Coron but then again I wouldn't recommend it to you.
If you are choosy you can have big stuff in the Phils threshers and mantas in Malapascua for instance (more recently threshers in Moalboal) and Whale sharks in South Leyte. But Philippines is more about a great variety of corals and reef fish, it's also out of the three destinations, the one that is more "dive oriented" and less land activities.

Sipadan can deliver for "reasonably big" stuff (sharks, walls of barracudas, huge schools of trevallies, giant humphead parrotfish, loads of turtles) and you couple it with any macro you like in Mabul. However, Phils are better in terms of corals and reef.

North Sulawesi is mostly for macro and freaky critters, but the variety is great. Do not expect biggies.

Thanks Luko, you've provided many precious information.
Would you have any airlines to recommend flying from KUL to Sulawesi or philippines (preferably not blacklisted, i wou'd never convince my girl to flight with these :wink:
How would valuate the diving in Bali (including Gili islands) ?

We like Big stuffs, wrecks as well as Macro (in short diversity),
As Luko suggested, Malapascua has everything you wished, from big wreck(Dona Marilyn) to thrasher shark, Gatto Island for macro and white sandy beach.
Cebu Pacific flys from KL to Cebu and Manila. A budget airline but so what.

Cebu pacific is balcklisted. I can deal with that but my girl not at all.
do u know any other non-blacklisted airlines going from kul to cebu or manado ?
I also read some nice comment on derawan-sangalaki, but i believ it take 2 or 3 days to reach the islands..

Cebu pacific is balcklisted. I can deal with that but my girl not at all.
do u know any other non-blacklisted airlines going from kul to cebu or manado ?
I also read some nice comment on derawan-sangalaki, but i believ it take 2 or 3 days to reach the islands..

I had taken Malaysia (Ranked 1st in the world by Skytrax awards 2009, for economy class : will that be ok for your girl? :D ) from KK to Cebu in feb but I can't find any flight now, I believe they cut the leg down.
Then you would have to fly to Singapore and take a Silk Air flight (subsidiary of Singapore Airlines) to Cebu city.

Manado... both Malaysia and airAsia.com cut their flights, last year for the latter. I think Silk air still goes from Singapore.

After Airasia.com closing Manado last year and cutting down the daily direct flight from Singapore to Tawau in march, Malaysia closing down the Manado and Cebu stopovers, we divers seem to be doomed in SEA. :(

How would valuate the diving in Bali (including Gili islands) ?
forgot to answer this one;
Bali's diving very good although I woud rank it fourth to the three above destinations, which are the highest on my list with Komodo (not been to Raja Ampat yet).
Don't bother the Gilis! wasted time...

1 week diving Sipidan/Mabul, then around to KK (via Sempilok for the orangutang sanctuary) for a flight to Cebu. Taxi north from Cebu airport, quick ferry, and start your diving in Malapascua for a week....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom