Which HARNESS and why? for your BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daniel, my husband knows what it's like to turtle in 4 feet of water, with no reg in his mouth -- he fell off the steps at Ginnie!

I planned a twenty minute dive to test the two new 100s that I just bought, just swim around the cavern zone. My buddy was 100 yards away at the truck. I was walking down the last two steps to wait for him, and I slipped feet first into the water while carrying my fins in my left hand, primary in my mouth. I sank quickly and hit the bottom hard tanks first with my primary yanked from my mouth. But my mask stayed put and I just lay there for ten seconds, shocked and not reacting. As I was trying to find my under-the-chin bungied second, I felt a shooting pain in my right arm and back. Shocked by the pain, I lied there sucking air. I finally put the secondary in my mouth with my left hand, took four deep breaths, and thought that I broke something serious.

I knew after thirty seconds that I was thinking clearly but when I tried to move, my back burned in pain. So I continued to lay there looking up at the sky through twelve feet of water, turtled on top of 85 pounds of tanks. After thirty more seconds I thought about how I was going to get out of this. I tried to grab my weight belt buckle with my right hand and drop it. I could not move my right arm without excruciating pain, so I again reached with my left hand and found the buckle, it must have taken another a full minute to drop the belt. I then snapped open my two-inch quick release buckle mounted on my left chest strap with my left hand (on a custom made harness from our shop). By then I was thinking that I broke my back, and felt a little panic creep in. I was then a twenty-three year old dive instructor and was trained by two of the best cave instructors in Mexico. DO NOT PANIC!!

I then tried to loosen the buckle on the harness belt with my left hand, did so, but I could not easily get the belt through the buckle (practice this more, I thought). I then started to float slightly (wearing thermals under my TL350) and felt a shooting pain when my right arm was squeezed by the right harness, about fainted. Now under the water for four minutes I thought: how was I going to get to the steps, I'm 5'6", not like I could stand up. I started to rise, more pain, but my right arm slipped out from the right harness. I grabbed the manifold with my left hand and pulled myself down slightly. PAIN!! I then rolled onto my knees after a few seconds and saw my 7-foot primary laying right in front of me, I switched seconds and thought I had been underwater for five/six minutes! "Where the hell is he?!?!?

Two seconds later, he dived in and dropped to me wearing his mask, wetsuit and weight belt only. He looked at me holding onto the manifold with my second stage in my mouth. He said later that he knew what had happened. He motioned at me to not move. NOT MOVE, no sh*t!?!? He then motioned for me to take a big breath and let go of the manifold (he used hand signals). He dropped his weight belt, took the primary second out of my mouth, grabbed me around my now floating waist. He pushed off the bottom with his bootied feet, and in three seconds shot us to the surface, MASSIVE PAIN!!! He "rescue" hauled me to the steps ten feet away.

Three hours later at the Cancun hospital the x-rays showed that I cracked my right clavicle.

It never entered my mind to go for the knife (DIR-style sawed-off blade sheathed just to the left of my harness waist buckle) because of my long time practice of don-and-doff using the quick release buckle. Thinking back, I don't think that I could have cut my harness in the state that was in.

Merry Christmas everybody. Thanks again for giving input on your choice of harness. As a new BP/W diver I will for sure go for the HOG style one piece and if down the road I feel like upgrading to something else then I will. I am sure that most BP/W divers have more then one set up so it is not like I or anybody else will be at a loss with buying a one-piece harness. I also to boot am a rather wide build so I dont think the feeling of a one-piece "going to fall off" is going to be a problem.

Merry Christmas everybody. Thanks again for giving input on your choice of harness. As a new BP/W diver I will for sure go for the HOG style one piece and if down the road I feel like upgrading to something else then I will. I am sure that most BP/W divers have more then one set up so it is not like I or anybody else will be at a loss with buying a one-piece harness. I also to boot am a rather wide build so I dont think the feeling of a one-piece "going to fall off" is going to be a problem.

Merry Christmas
Sounds like a good idea. If you don't like the HOG you are out 20.00. I think I paid more for a snorkel that I dont use or never will. Like alot of people I know we have several pieces of gear and another harness want be a bad thing to have.

....It never entered my mind to go for the knife (DIR-style sawed-off blade sheathed just to the left of my harness waist buckle) because of my long time practice of don-and-doff using the quick release buckle. Thinking back, I don't think that I could have cut my harness in the state that was in.

Thanks for sharing that. It's certainly thought provoking. I 'rescued' a diver stuck in simular circumstance (althought not injured and not submerged - was getting hit with waves, no reg in).

That'd be a great post if it were put in the A&I forum.

or if a QD failed at that depth..
I guess I just don't understand the physics of that question. Why would the QD fail, particularly if it isn't under any load (that is how you set up the shoulder straps NO). I guess that there are lots of reasons for disliking any kind of buckle; stuff can get caught on them, they are slightly less streamlined than just a piece of harness, but failure under no load or minimal load?
As part of my day job, I teach young engineers how to do FMEA (failure mode and effects analysis) on implantable medical systems and I just don't understand how a piece of molded plastic just disintegrates at depth under minimal load.

In any case, I dive only to take pictures, not very deep very often, and only with a single tank. I like the Oxycheq wing a lot (Freedom plate at home, Oxycheq ultralite plate for travel), and I know this is an old discussion, but I just don't understand the rest of this "religion".

Safe Diving
Bill

I think line opening a buckle should only happen with it not under load because the loading tightens the buckle. Plastic QDs can shatter if you make contact with a hard surface (rock, wreck), but is probably only likely if there was some noncatastrophic damage done earlier (from tanks or weights, etc).

Back
Top Bottom