which reg is better

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe it's me but I can't really tell if one reg works better then an another. Quality, workmanship, and materials for sure but in the water blind I can't tell one from the other. I have a few Apex xtx50 / ds4 and some cheeper Ocenic Gt3 / cdx5 regs Both are tuned to free flow wide open.

im looking to upgrade my regs this year and have narrowed it down to 2 different ones. i was looking for some in put on which would be a better reg that will last and be good quality. first reg is the HOG D1 Regulator cold water first and second stage din style. the second is Aqualung Legend LX Regulator, Yoke. any input would be awsome.
@ssbuick: What reg setup (make/model) do you currently own? If it's not performing well, perhaps it just needs to be repaired, serviced, and/or tuned. Properly serviced regs should breathe like new.

As others have pointed out, the HOG D1 and Aqualung Legend regs should breathe identically if tuned identically. The regs are both based on the same fundamental design...with the exception of the new-version Legend integrating control of the Venturi lever with the breathing adjustment knob (Master Breathing System; MBS). Personally, I don't like the MBS, but it should work just fine for most people.

The HOG reg will work as well as the Legend at a much better price. More important the HOG regs are made to be serviced by the diver. Take their course and you will never have to send your reg out for service.

I have the Legend LX Supreme ACD(AutoClosureDevice), so I don't have to worry about the first stage when rinsing(sealed off). Scare a lot of divecenters though..
I like the possibility to adjust the reg, and the venturi which prevents freeflow(which you also have on the Legend Octo).
I dive both in cold and warm waters, so I've changed to Miflex hoses.It breathes effortless in all posisions. I have the DIN version, and use a Scubapro alu DIN2Yoke when needed, and it has never bothered me. Don't know the HOG brand, but most regs nowadays is high quality, and what really matters is getting easy service and parts the places you dive. I'll highly recommend the Miflex hoses though....

@ssbuick: What reg setup (make/model) do you currently own? If it's not performing well, perhaps it just needs to be repaired, serviced, and/or tuned. Properly serviced regs should breathe like new.

As others have pointed out, the HOG D1 and Aqualung Legend regs should breathe identically if tuned identically. The regs are both based on the same fundamental design...with the exception of the new-version Legend integrating control of the Venturi lever with the breathing adjustment knob (Master Breathing System; MBS). Personally, I don't like the MBS, but it should work just fine for most people.

Bubble, you just made me think of another lower cost approch for the OP.
Unless he is using a really old flow by piston there is no advantage at all for him to replace the first stage, there is no performance to be gained by buying a new first stage. Instead, just buy a HOG second stage and install it on his existing first.

I have the Legend LX Supreme ACD(AutoClosureDevice), so I don't have to worry about the first stage when rinsing(sealed off). Scare a lot of divecenters though..
I like the possibility to adjust the reg, and the venturi which prevents freeflow(which you also have on the Legend Octo).
I dive both in cold and warm waters, so I've changed to Miflex hoses.It breathes effortless in all posisions. I have the DIN version, and use a Scubapro alu DIN2Yoke when needed, and it has never bothered me. Don't know the HOG brand, but most regs nowadays is high quality, and what really matters is getting easy service and parts the places you dive. I'll highly recommend the Miflex hoses though....

You don't want to rely too much on the ACD system. It will keep casual water out. Ie splashes. Drop it in a deep rinse tank or hit it directly with a hose and you will open the device. The spring is not a strong one. Oceanic has a similar device. I would not substitute either for putting the dust cap on securely or better yet rinsing while still under pressure from a tank. I use my 6 cu ft suit bottle or 19 cu ft pony if I can't rinse on site while gear is still assembled. I'm not the only who thinks these are gimmicks and don't do much other than give some divers a false sense of security and add an extra $100 or more to the cost of a reg.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

In what depth of water can one really trust the ACD to keep the reg dry? Or is it one of those things that simply pushes up the price for no real reason?

You don't want to rely too much on the ACD system. It will keep casual water out. Ie splashes. Drop it in a deep rinse tank or hit it directly with a hose and you will open the device. The spring is not a strong one. Oceanic has a similar device. I would not substitute either for putting the dust cap on securely or better yet rinsing while still under pressure from a tank. I use my 6 cu ft suit bottle or 19 cu ft pony if I can't rinse on site while gear is still assembled. I'm not the only who thinks these are gimmicks and don't do much other than give some divers a false sense of security and add an extra $100 or more to the cost of a reg.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Good point Jim, ssbuick and I looked at one in a local shop a few weeks ago and the spring pressure to open is minimal at best.

In what depth of water can one really trust the ACD to keep the reg dry? Or is it one of those things that simply pushes up the price for no real reason?

1 to 2 feet above the water . There is a real reason, to sell new regs to folks who fall for advertising or love "features" that no one else has. A 50 cent properly installed dust cap is more effective and has been doing the job nicely for the last 60 or so years, don't see any reason it will not continue to do so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom