Which wrist dive computer to choose from?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hmb

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a new diver and now I'm considering to order my first computer (as a Christmas present for myself).

Mandatory requirements: Wrist mount, Nitrox, easy readable backlit display, PC donwloadable, battery can be easy replaced, not air integrated, and not expensive (under $400).

I did some research on the Net and now have four choices, rated by the price (with PC connection cable/reader):
1. Aeris Atmos 2
2. Cressi Sub Archimede
3. Aeris XR 2
4. Mares M2

Unfortunately, this list is based only on logic (price and some basic features), and not on experience. My personal first choice as of 9 PM this evening is Cressi Sub, and then - Mares M2.

Any advice/comments on the matter will be greatly appreciated.

I have an Aeris Atomos 2 (wrist) and my daughter has a console version. With the current pricing at around $250 (e.g. Scubatoys, DiverDirect) with cable it is a steal. The large display, Nitrox, and easy battery change make it a winner. It is less conservative than some but if you want more a more conservative profile just take some NDL time off.

The atmos 2 is a great computer, although it is discontinued. I would look at the XR2 or the dive rite DUO. They will both be in your price range. The DUO is a slick computer.

Brent

If you search the board for archimede you should be able to find my reviews of my archimede.

It is still going strong, about 375 dives now, no problems. 200 or so have been deco dives. The archimede has gotten me back safely every time.

I use a Nitek Duo and Nitek 3 mostly at the moment with about 100 dives on each. The Cressi Archimede 2 and Tusa IQ 700 are the same as the Nitek Duo and are great little computers that meet your requirements.

Peter

I have an Atmos I, an air computer, and I have an XR-2, a nitrox computer. As I understand it the Atmos I and the Atmos II (nitrox) have been phased out and replaced with the XR1 and XR2. If this is indeed correct I would opt for the XR2 as it may be easier to deal with if you need service down the road.

You should discuss this with Larry or one of the other people at Scuba Toys. BTW if you mention you are a Scuba board member they will give you a 10% discount. They are a great group of people and have the best customer service in the world. No I don't work for them. I buy from them.

atmos 2

everything you need, and can't beat the price. it's been phased out for the XR-2, but i prefer the Atmos 2: cheaper, and better display. you can still find the atmos 2 if you look.

The atmos 2 is a good computer just not available. I tried to order some last week and they are no longer shipping. Some dealers still have them on their shelves though. I don't have any aeris stuff on my web page yet but I give scuba board and TDS members a decent discount as well. Just mention it in a PM or when you call.

Aeris, and I assume oceanic, has one of the best no hassle return policies in the business.

Brent

Just last week I ordered an Atmos 2 from ScubaToys - Mention ScubaBoard and he'll give you a GREAT deal :eyebrow: . Also, check this thread, where we discussed the diffference between the Atmos 2 and the XR-2. Its one of the reasons I choose the Atmos 2.

In that thread, an Aeris rep posted

Sting J:
Keep in mind either unit will carry a 2 year warranty when purchased from an authorized dealer even if they are closed out.

PS: Also check out this Atmos 2 Computer Blow Out! thread.

...steve...

Good point. Salvo and aeris have the best customer support of any company I have ever dealt with. Good luck in your shopping.

Brent

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom