Who does not like their Hog regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I personally own nine firsts and a dozen seconds. Some have been rebuilt. One of my originals from 2008 before I became a dealer has about 200 dives on it. 100 or so hours in the pool. The 1st stage has never been touched. It has not needed it. IP locks up solid at 135 psi like it was set when I got it. Some of my others have less dives and time on them and they have been done. But a HP seat is a consumable so no surprise. I've had shoes last ten years and the same kind/ model last two. My seconds get done when they need it. I've sold well over 100 sets and dozens more components as individual pieces. No major issues with them. Also trained half a dozen or so divers to service their own. I'm a tech for two other brands with factory wall certificate. But they won't even sell me parts because I'm not a dealer. I'll stay with hog.

love my Hogs. I have 2 sets with 300 or so dives between them. They take a beating and keep working perfect.

I've had a few minor issues... the O rings fall out of the din connection frequently on all 3 of my hog regs (2 D1, 1 D3). It's not unique to me, I've seen it with others too, including the D2s. The din nut has come loose several times on mine and friends with hogs. The 2nd stage is heavy toward the purge so my mouthpieces tear through quickly. Other than getting a defective D3 (swapped out under warranty quickly without issue by hog) performance has been very solid and I still use them as my primaries for cave/tech diving.

Sent via

I heard a saying many years ago regarding one of the biggest, most recognized brands of scuba regulators (Scubapro):

"Divers are divided into to two camps: One swears by them. The other swears at them". (For the record, I really like Scubapro regs, and have for years).

I think this sentiment or diversity of opinion can probably apply to almost any brand, any product, not just scuba equipment.

If you look hard enough, you'll find people unhappy with a certain brand or product.

When you don't have to look hard to find unhappy customers, then there may truly be an issue with quality.

I own or have owned Aqualung, Mares, Zeagle, Scubapro and now HOG regulators, and have rented or borrowed other brands.

I rate the HOG products that I use as at least the equal of (if not superior to in some cases) the "Big Players" in the industry. When you couple the quality with the low cost of entry, it is hard to beat HOG. There have been problems, and probably will be problems in the future, but honestly the same can be said for most brands.

Best wishes.

HOG is fine by me... I like them and have 4 sets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a love hate relationship with them. They breathe well, the second stages are pretty nice, high quality though I wish they would quit doing their BS reversible requiring extra parts thing and copy the XTX design. It isn't patented and isn't that hard to implement.

The first stages are nice and the cost is about what regulators should be, none of this marking up to pad individuals wallets and feed their marketing budgets *cough Nick Hollis cough*. It's a brilliant concept. The hate bit is they are plagued with questionable consumables, mainly HP seats. Every brand has had this and I actually just had a brand new Poseidon HP seat fail right out of the parts kit. **** happens, but at least I can buy their HP seats for $2.50 each and the whole parts kit is only $20, but hog has to make their money somewhere and they do it with the parts kits. I have 4 first stages, pair of D1's and pair of D2's, and a pair of classic second stages. I like them well enough and got them for a pretty good deal directly from Chris. Still recommend them to people looking for decent regulators that want them new. While I will keep mine, I am much happier buying used Poseidons or Apeks regs since I can get service kits for them *reason I sold my Apeks and bought the Hogs in the first place*, and will continue down that path.

It will be interesting to see the direction Jack takes the company now that Chris is out of it, will be waiting a year or two until I buy anything else from them.

True. If I could buy another hp seat for $5 I would buy another 3 sets of HOGs... Next weekend.

---------- Post added October 30th, 2014 at 08:19 PM ----------

The HP seats are the only thing that is the grudge of me. They are hit or miss. The process of install is incredibly important and I believe that I have perfected the "science" but still...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom