Who would have the courage to do this...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Green_Manelishi:
That's not diving, it's a change of environment.

Just so that I understand you...

... if you don't ski on two legs... you're not skiing.
... if you don't run up and down the court... you're not playing basketball.

is that right?

I really can't believe I just read that! The man is underwater, whether he is breathing on his own or with help..it doesn't frickin matter.....he is diving. If it wasn't a change of environment THEN it wouldn't be diving.

:whack:

Stephen Ash:
Just so that I understand you...

... if you don't ski on two legs... you're not skiing.
... if you don't run up and down the court... you're not playing basketball.

is that right?

No, you do not understand me, no "that" is not right.

If you are not capable of standing, sitting or lying down on skis (or similar equipment) and starting/stopping/manuevering you are not skiing. Yes, it might be a thrill, and you might be "on skiis" but you are not skiing; you are being towed, pushed or otherwise manuevered down a hill or cross country and as such completely dependant upon someone else.

But let's take that to the lunatic fringe; if someone straps "Chuck the human toboggan" to a ski and pushes him so he starts careening down the hill, unable to turn or stop until he bounces off an object or crashes into one, is he skiing? No, he is merely stupid; and so is whoever strapped Chuck in so he could "go skiing".

As for "playing basketball" ...

Regardless of the method, if you are moving up and down the court but not shooting the hoop with your own arms/hands or legs/feet you are not playing basketball. You are simply moving up and down a court.

If I get into car and just sit in a seat am I driving? No, I am going for a ride.

And because Bob3 mentioned it; if I am strapped to a sky-diver and am incapable of doing anything to assist or hinder, am I sky-diving? No, I am falling while attached to the sky-diver.

If I "go fishing" but someone else baits the hook, casts the line, set's the hook, reels in the fish and all that, am I "fishing"? No, I am merely watching someone fish.

Anyway, as I said, congrats to Matt but I stand by my comment that he is not diving. Nor is someone who cannot see truly "diving"; if their guide disappears, they are likely dead.

In any case it's time for me to leave. The original poster asked for opinion, which I provided. Now I am being told my opinion is wrong.

Later dudes.

Green_Manelishi:
If I get into car and just sit in a seat am I driving? No, I am going for a ride.

OK, I understand "that".

Green_Manelishi:
Anyway, as I said, congrats to Matt but I stand by my comment that he is not diving.

Apparently you're not the only one that thinks this is not diving. I understand now why my thread got pulled from the Basics Forum and tossed in the Kudos trash can.

(Of course, whatever Jessica Alba's doing must be the real stuff. I noticed that thread is still in the Basic Forum and now has over 1000 views.)

Dreams come in all shapes and sizes.

'Success' and 'achievement' have no single meaning, as each of us will define them for ourselves differently.

Achieving dreams is, ultimately, the only real meaning life offers. It's the only worthy thing that remains after we die.

All the rest is administrivia.

Make it happen, Matt.

I think of Matt as a pioneer who is exploring the limits of what is possible. I consider his dream more of an expedition into uncharted territory, literally, where no one has gone before. Much like an expedition, it takes planning, determination, courage, and persistence. I'm sure Matt ran into many people who didn't think that he could do it, but he's proving them wrong. Way to go Matt!!

Stephen, if it wasn't for you having Matt's web site in your signature I would really be PO'd. It isn't OUR decision if Matt should do this or not! What makes us think that we are any different from him? Why should we be diving? Call it what you want but Matt will be diving soon. :D
With any luck what Matt is doing will inspire someone else to do something that they want to do even if "life" says that they can't.

Green_Manelishi, since Matt doesn't breathe like you and I is he not alive like you and I? After all you have to breathe to stay alive.

Stephen Ash:
OK, I understand "that".

Apparently you're not the only one that thinks this is not diving. I understand now why my thread got pulled from the Basics Forum and tossed in the Kudos trash can.

(Of course, whatever Jessica Alba's doing must be the real stuff. I noticed that thread is still in the Basic Forum and now has over 1000 views.)

Ha, I did not even know who JA was (is?) until Soggy told me I don't look anything like her. And I have not read enough of that thread to know whether or not she is a diver, or is merely "a person who goes diving".

crpntr133:
Stephen, if it wasn't for you having Matt's web site in your signature I would really be PO'd. It isn't OUR decision if Matt should do this or not! What makes us think that we are any different from him? Why should we be diving? Call it what you want but Matt will be diving soon. :D
With any luck what Matt is doing will inspire someone else to do something that they want to do even if "life" says that they can't.

Green_Manelishi, since Matt doesn't breathe like you and I is he not alive like you and I? After all you have to breathe to stay alive.

Matt is a human being and as such, regardless of his (shall I dare use the phrase) "quality of life" has intrinsic worth and is loved by God. My only point was that he is not in my opinion diving.

Back
Top Bottom