Who would have the courage to do this...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Damn straight!

TSandM:
Lucky people have dreams -- so many people have none. Very lucky people dream of doing things that God gave them the talent and ability to accomplish. The rest of us may dream of doing things we just don't have the ammunition to achieve. The man who is 5'2" will never play for the NBA . . . but he can play basketball, and he can play the best danged basketball that his body will play, and if he works very hard, he may eventually play somewhat well.

Matt has a sad discrepancy between what he dreams of doing, and what his physiology will let him accomplish. Far more than the short basketball player, he has to bring determination and drive and unrelenting persistence to bear. Most of us find diving somewhat expensive -- what of someone who has to arrange to do it on a ventilator? Many of us may have found diving somewhat daunting or anxiety-provoking to begin with -- how much more someone who is depending on a machine to breathe, and a support team to get out of the water?

Someone in Matt's position has to use as much grit as most of us have, to face living through each new day. To add to those burdens by trying the near impossible shows an aspiring spirit and perserverence we can only regard with admiration.

Whether it is diving or not is not worth debating. Whether it is amazing what he has accomplished should be easy to agree upon.

I had a very frustrating and unsatisfying dive tonight, and Matt would give his eyeteeth to do that dive. Think about that.

jepuskar:
Green, my most sincerest apologies about my last remark. You're right, he is not breathing. He is being ventilated. You clarified that for me, but decided to add on a few extras to your post...sooooooo

You said "The original post asked opinion of whether or not what Matt is doing is diving" The original post mentions nothing of this. It states "Wow! Guts... determination... this guy must really want to dive. But is this really something that he should be doing? What do you all think?" You actually didn't even answer the question of is this something that he should be doing.

You chimed in and said he is not really diving and you anticipated comments about it and I am commenting on it. No need to label me, but if it makes you feel better to group me in some category by all means go for it.

You come up with a lot of conclusions pretty fast. I think your opinions are pretty fascinating and in no way irrelevant. If they were irrelevant to me I wouldn't bother commenting on it. But I am sorry you feel this way, its a shame.

Ok, enough of that. :lol3:
---------------------------------------------

I agree with Walter. It's really none of our business. If he wants to do it..go for it and have fun diving.

And I owe you (and liberals) an apology for my inappropriate comment regarding opinion, facts, etc. As I laid (lied?) in bed last night waiting to fall asleep I was convicted of the not-Christian tone of my post. When I woke this AM there was a PM from a fellow Christian who firmly, but politely, chastised me.

You are correct regarding the original question; as someone who (usually) takes great care in specifics there is no excuse for my adding to the original thread by answering a question that was not asked. :11doh:

Glad to know you find my opinions to be fascinating. :D

So, this may surprise you but I don't think what Matt is doing is wrong. He obviously has more guts and determination than many people not facing his obstacles.

Now I must eat my breakfast.

Green_Manelishi:
And I owe you ...

Hats off to you, Green! :clapping:

Cheers,

Andrew

PS: Let's have some more of the supporting sigs out there. I have taken Stephen's lead and made mine a bit more noticeable. Get the word out for Matt!

Green_Manelishi,

Well thanks for the congrats to me. Yep, I know all the risks and I have some of the best people working with me on my diving, including medical personel. There were a couple doctors and nurses that told me this was impossible last year, for me to even go underwater and I have proven them wrong!

For me, learning about SCUBA diving and the technology is an every day thing. It's 24/7 for me. I take it very seriously. However I get under the water, is considered diving in my book. Like I tell everyone, if you have a dream, make it happen, don't just sit there. I'm the kinda person if I want something, I keep at it until I get it.

Yeah some definitions of activities are changed a bit when a person is handicapped, whether its cruising down a basketball court in a wheelchair, or having amputated arms or legs and skiing or whether its having someone set a person up to go underwater wearing scuba gear, when they are unable to do so for themselves. There are so many disabled people that just want to be able to do "normal" things.

We are working on developing a self contained ventilator I can take underwater with me, so I don't have to leave it topside anymore, I can't wait for that. And it will probably change the definition of SCUBA diving.

I know its a free country and we are all entitled to our opinions. It was interesting, I guess, to hear yours along with everyone elses. I have to say I was a bit taken aback though by yours.

Thanks for the support everyone, don't know what I'd do without you all.

Anyway I'm going to keep pursuing my dream until the end, it keeps me going, having something like this to look forward to.

-Matt-:14:

I think TSandM said it best and I don't think I can say it much better. Matt knows I (and my club) support him and his dream and always will. I think what Matt is doing is awesome. He is an inspiration to all of us - especially me.

BTW Matt, I plan on buying a ticket to your fundraiser even though I won't be attending. I know Bob B has a thread about this on our site so I need to let him know so he can match it! :wink:

Stephen Ash:
I'm wondering how many of us would have the courage to do this...

http://www.divingadream.org/index.html

Wow! Guts... determination... this guy must really want to dive. But is this really something that he should be doing? What do you all think?

This is something Matt should definately do if it is his wish.

Why live in a world if you are not experiencing it?

I like to dive and if I die or become seriously injured as a result who are you to tell me that diving was a mistake? What about the thrills it has given me. What about the world that was opened up to my eyes that I would have otherwise never experienced. Would anyone rather I live in a doldrum of an existance for a few measly more blinks? It is not wrong to die risking yourself for something or someone you love.

My father loves to eat unhealthy foods but am I going to berate him? No. I want a father that is happy enjoying his remaining years not some father that will live a few additional unhappy and unfullfilled ones.

A minors body was recovered in a mine the other day and one of his well know statements was "I will die in a mine." Knowing this fact, did that stop him from going into mines?

There is more existance than just subsistance.

Green_Manelishi:
As I laid (lied?) in bed last night waiting to fall asleep I was convicted of the not-Christian tone of my post. When I woke this AM there was a PM from a fellow Christian who firmly, but politely, chastised me.

I never lost faith in you G_M. and I personally don't think that anything that you have said has been un-christian. In fact, if anyone is guilty of that, it has been me. Matt recently has told us that things aren't going well and that he is worried about obtaining the necessary financial support. I was both surprised and a little ashamed that I wasn't even aware that Matt was asking for support... I really hadn't thought about it much. I guess I just thought that this was something crazy.

Anyway... I logged into my Paypal account and offered what I could and I hope others do the same. But if they don't know about his efforts and his need for contributions, then they aren't going to take that step.

My underlying reason for this thread was to stir some interest in Matt's project. I purposefully tried to make it a little 'controversial' just to generate some discussion and I was VERY disappointed that my thread was moved to this Forum. I can't believe that we would rather talk about Jessica Alba and her 'deco' diving, than talk about helping one of our own who desperately needs our aid! Honestly, G_M, I want to thank you for helping me with that effort. Maybe someone else will come along and say something to really piss folks off. That would sure help keep things rolling! :D

So... if anyone is listening... take the time to offer what you can. Don't just sit there... get involved. Make a donation and add something to your sig line to help spread the word.

KBeck:
.....but aren't the general effects on his body the same as a regular diver, regardless of how the breathing occurs?
IE, the feeling of weightlessness, to some degree, or the sound of bubbles going past your ears.....or the feeling of water surrounding your body (yes I know he's in a drysuit)? I don't think the analogies are the same.

There's so much more to the experience than being ultimately in control............

I agree. Just breathing underwater makes it diving in my book... the adventure into the land beneath the sea. One doesn't need arms or legs... all they need is their mind.

Back
Top Bottom