Why did you start Scuba Diving, and what makes you continue it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Always fascinated by the sea since seeing my first Jacques Cousteau special on the the first color TV I'd ever seen, back when I was about 8 or 9 years old. Once grown, went to Cozumel on vacation and snorkeled. At that point I HAD to be down there with all that cool stuff. That was 21 years ago. I STILL have to be down there with all that cool stuff. Diving is an open-ended relationship with the sea.

Started to satisfy this urge i had for as long as i could remember. Now i do it with my wife and our son just got certified. The most amazing things ive ever seen were underwater

i started diving because of that "explorer/salvager" thing!!!
you always wonder what there was a foot farther than what i saw...
i got my family into the sport at very early ages as well
however,at 15 yrs old, my son sez...
"gez dad,ive loved seeing the fish and the coral and the wrecks and places,but......
I JUST WANNA FIND SOME MONEY!!!!!!!!!
....he's 22 now...he'll grow out of that...still looking though......!!!!!!!!!
can't put a price on love
for your family or for the sport!!!!!
have fun
yaeg

Both my parents are divers, it looked fun, and seemed like the thing to do since I was bored the summer after my Sophomore year of High School.

Why do I keep diving? Weightlessness? Fish? Plants? Wrecks? Even mud looks cooler underwater... If you need to find any other reason then lets just go diving!

Both of my parents dive, and a lot of their friends dive (or used to dive). I have been in a local SCUBA club my whole life. I started officially diving when I was about 14. I took a break while in school, and now I'm back diving. I like diving because it is something enjoyable, and I can spend time with my parents doing something we both like doing. Before I got back into diving, I was working on houses or cars in my spare time. Even though I enjoyed doing those things, I never really looked forward to doing them. I do with diving.

Ever look at a body of water and wonder "what's down there?" Divers know. :cool3:

I got drunk at an auction and bought a trip to Australia. On the way home, my long-suffering husband looked at me and said, "Well, if we are going to Australia, now you HAVE to learn how to dive." At that point, if he had said, "You have to dance naked down the street," I probably would have done it, I was feeling so sheepish.

Diving turned out to be just my cup of tea. It's something you can never be GOOD at, just better than you were yesterday. And cave diving, which has become my obsession, is the quintessence of that. And as I approach being being a good diver asymptotically, I have recently added a camera, because underwater photography is another thing you can never be good enough at. I figure I'll be diving until I can't pick up a tank any more.

I was always going on these trips to Mexico and the like. We'd always go on snorkel trips and when we'd go for a few drinks and I'd listen to the "SCUBA" people talking about remarkable it was. One day I said %$#@ it and signed up for an OW class....that was 2 years and about $15,000 ago including my solo trips down to the Keys as well as all the gear.

Loving every moment.....

... my ex-wife made me do it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
+1. My ex grew up in the Nevada desert, but always wanted to dive after watching Sea Hunt.

Living most of my life in Northern Manitoba, I had little interest in diving in cold dark lakes. After moving to the Atlantic coast 6 years ago, I finally got certified. Now I dive in an equally cold and sometimes dark ocean.... My primary motivation was being a shell collector. Since, I have simply found it interesting, even if I don't find anything. Getting the odd flounder for supper is also nice. Diving in the S. states (and one week in Panama) is also motivation. But generally, I just find the whole process worthwhile. I hope to start in with DMing this Fall if the opportunity arises. I enjoyed working with OW and Rescue students during the DM course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom