Why do I need a Nitrox certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is nothing in a Nitrox certification that can not be learned from a decent book. But you would have to read and understand it.

I'm guessing that the OP doesn't even know that convulsions is one of the risks of oxygen tox. Either way, I'm done with this thread. Nothing to see here, moving along.

I wondered who the first guy would be to jump on the "conservative diver" thing. Congrats, it's you!!!
Doesn't change the facts though.

---------- Post added April 27th, 2012 at 03:11 PM ----------

Thank you for the constructive response. This is helpful, and I will get to know it with or without the class.

What you are doing is seriously playing with your life. YOu may think you know all there is to nitrox, but from what I can see you have yet to demonstrate any idea of CNS, MOD, or maximum Single Dive Limit, Multiple Dive limits and even the Narcotic effects of oxygen. I am fairly certain, beyond being able to calculate Po2 that you have no idea what that means. This is the type of knowledge a good Nitrox instructor will teach you in the course. Relying on a computer to monitor all of this will work about %99.9 of the time. If those odds are acceptable to you, then by all means continue on your way.

Daru

P.s. Forgot to mention most Nitrox events are fatal at depth.

Last edited by a moderator:
The dollar value of the Theory related to Nitrox is ~$5.
In fact, as already pointed out in this thread, it fits a couple of pages.

There is no need to have a "Nitrox Certification Card" to understand the theory. .... but such a card should be a proof that the holder indeed knows the theory.

Spending sometime with qualified professionals (Instructors) talking about Nitrox, analyze tanks, run some dive scenarios/plans and even dive together: Priceless :wink:

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Addition:
Question for the OP:
What is the final Oxygen Toxicity level of a multilevel dive to a max depth of 92ft for a total bottom time of 35 minutes using EAN32?
And what would have been the final Nitrogen loading if you had done the same multilevel dive using Air instead of EAN32?
And if you can not answer the 2 questions above, why? What data is missing?

Last edited:
Forget Nitrox. Who here took a drysuit class?
I don't think the simile holds. If nothing else learning to deal with buoyancy and trim and how right yourself after a feet first blow up can be easier accomplished with professional help.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

A number of posts have been edited to remove name calling and one has been deleted. Remember this is a "flame free" forum with special rules. Please take time to read the text in the box above the reply box before hitting the "post reply" button.

I'm pretty sure that anyone giving incomplete information is doing so purposely to show the OP that he may have no clue what we are talking about...after all a forum is no where to learn to dive. Why would you assume that people being intentionally vague are incompetent?

I wish I had your faith in the general understanding of CNS calculations... I do not and based on what has been posted, I stand by my remarks that much of the information offered is both bad or incorrect.... I did not use the word incompetent... Since this is a public forum rather than an instructor evaluation, the word incompetent is inappropriate.

There are several missing elements in many onLine conversations about nitrox and CNS loading. THE MOST COMMON is what we find here... no mention of the time element and a lot of puffery about the dangers of 1.7 bar O2 pressure compared to 1.4 bar... or something along those lines. This is an incorrect and misleading statement. Suggested that TIME should also be factored in is not giving anyone reading this access to the secret decoder ring or magic formula... it is simply correct information... incomplete but correct.

I am not taking aim at you or anyone else. No need to become defensive. I simply want to reinforce, to the OP I guess, but others as well, that it is easy to THINK you know the answer.

One might also add that NOAA daily limits are another element often mistakenly ignored. I have at least two friends to whom I no longer have to send birthday cards because -- best guess -- they ignored the 24-hour nitrox limits... anyone want to discuss that?

The nitrox cert is a waste of $$. Granted you need to do some reading, but there is nothing about Nitrox that should require you to pay any one.

From what I've read, OP hasn't read any books. He just plugs 32 into his dive computer and figures he'll be OK.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom