Why is a Jacket BC better than a BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What matters to me is that the gear fits properly, that it's suitable for the environment you're diving in, and that it's appropriate equipment for where you want your diving to go.... Bob (Grateful Diver)

and it's just as important that you get to know your gear and become comfotable in it.

... my best choices in gear ... the ones that have made me the happiest over the years ... are the ones that felt comfortable from the first time I ever used them ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Examples..

You bought a jacket "with everything" BCD and dove in warm waters and it was fine. Now you dive in cold waters, wear thick exposure suit, thick gloves and realize that you can't reach the zipper in your integrated pockets. The pockets become useless, but you need them, so you are trying to solve the problem by adding pockets to your exposure suit. You end up customizing something anyway.

Let's say you can reach the pockets, but realize that your SMB won't fit. So you end up attaching your SMB to your BCD somehow - still customizing something.

These problems don't exist with "customizable" approach. You don't like your pockets, walk up to LDS with your BCD and say "I want bigger pockets so this and that can fit, I want velcro, because I have problem dealing with zippers with thick gloves and add bungee cords, so I won't be losing stuff". Come back in few days, pick your BCD with different pockets, and enjoy diving.

I see only benefits.

This thread can go on for more pages than the MOF thread. Reality is find something comfortable for you and appropriate for your diving conditions. I know that is a vague and useless comment, but is true. It is akin to asking what kind of car to buy.

What kind of car should I buy?

Ariel Atom. Street legal, none of that poodley upholstery, roof, carpeting that you don't really need. Next question.

Aerial Atom.jpg

Steve :)

What kind of car should I buy?

Depends on whether you're planning to dive singles or doubles ... and with or without a scooter ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom