Why not BP/W for Beginner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agree with the above. I went from a back inflate to a bp/w set-up and I can't imagine going back. When I first considered switching, I was nervous about my decision because I couldn't find any to borrow and try out. I pulled the trigger and got the bp/w and will never ever look back. In all the research I could do throughout the forums, I found only one person who tried the bp/w and decided it was not for him and switched back to a traditional BC (can't remember if it was back inflate or jacket...). Very few people are disappointed with their bp/w set-ups, and almost everyone will tell you how great theirs is. That's fairly uncommon....people usually talk about things they don't like, but with the significant number of positive comments toward the bp/w, it's very obvious how many people like them.

There's absolutely no good reason to not have a bp/w as a beginner, unless you would prefer something else. But there's definitely not a steeper learning curve; it's not more difficult to learn. And, imo, it's preferable to start with a bp/w as a beginner.

I started with a jacket and switched to BPW around dive 100. I still use the jacket- for pool only teaching. That's because it's what the shop has for students. In OW it's strictly BPW. When I actually get established enough to start teaching students with my own gear they'll be in BPW set ups with bungee octo and long hose. That may be a ways down the road but not only are BPW setups easier to adjust and fit a wide range of divers but they are also more economical and most importantly look a helluva lot cooler!

Burger King has sold billions of burgers, that doesn't make them good food.

I know many who have switched from jacket to backplate and wing, few if any who have done the opposite.

As for instructors not diving BP/W's, most dive what their shop sells, coincidence?

Based on the one I had the other day, calling it food may be a stretch!

To put things in perspective for you. Its all a matter of PERSONAL preference. Some prefer wings, others prefer jackets. Buy what you are comfoterable with since YOU will be the one going 100' below the surface in it with YOUR life in the balance. (and perhaps that of your dive buddy). If you think you will be happier with a wing. Find a LDS that sells wings and see if you can go on a dive trip and try one out with them. I think a good LDS will have that ability. If they don't want to work with you. FIND A NEW LDS!
People on here can give their opinions, rants, raves, yada yada yada. But what is good for one may suck for you.
I use a Oceanic Jacket and love it. I don't fin to stay level and nuetural, and if I do because I changed something in my config for a dive I adjust my weight. That comes with the learning process.
I have dove with others who use wings and swear by them as well.
Again it is all about what YOU are most comfterable with. Not what someone else sells you on or tells you is better. Shop, research, dive then buy.

He simply asked if there was a reason a new diver should not consider a bp/wing.

The short answer, is NO! Try it.

Sheesh, it's not that ****ing complicated folks!

Some prefer wings, others prefer jackets.
Put differently, some prefer wings, others have never used them.

Okay... that's not strictly true. I've met two people who've tried BP/W and don't like them. One didn't have it set up properly, and the other had a shoulder injury that made it tough to get out of his harness.

If you're interested in diving one, try it and buy it. The odds are very good you'll love it, and if you don't it retains resale value better than most other BCs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom