WHY Oh WHY????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MANY more options in color and style these days than back in the day. Heck, even this old geezer changes colors every now and then

Dr Bill and Andrea JMC wetsuits 8255s.jpg

Yes, I'm the wife with a question that interrupted his morning coffee. I didn't know a little question could cause such a myriad of answers. To clarify my question, it was why black when other colors are more visible. It had nothing to do with fashion or looking good. As I am in the process of learning to dive and hand signals are used wouldn't neon gloves be more visible? I posed this question at my next diving lesson and the instructor had the answer. It is more expensive to color neoprene, it is warmer and as light passes through the water, the water absorbs the colors of the spectrum of the sunlight. Without light we don't see the beautiful colors underwater. Last night's class included turning out the lights and using flashlights.

To clarify my question, it was why black when other colors are more visible
Because black is the new orange, err, orange is the new black, err,... uh forget it.

Yes, I'm the wife with a question that interrupted his morning coffee. I didn't know a little question could cause such a myriad of answers. To clarify my question, it was why black when other colors are more visible. It had nothing to do with fashion or looking good. As I am in the process of learning to dive and hand signals are used wouldn't neon gloves be more visible? I posed this question at my next diving lesson and the instructor had the answer. It is more expensive to color neoprene, it is warmer and as light passes through the water, the water absorbs the colors of the spectrum of the sunlight. Without light we don't see the beautiful colors underwater. Last night's class included turning out the lights and using flashlights.
Welcome to the forum and enjoy your course.

Good on you for asking questions - a thinking diver is a lot more likely to be a good diver. The only really daft question is the one that was never asked (ask it and you might facepalm at how "obvious" the answer was but don't ask it and you might never find out).

I am guilty of having pretty much all black gear, aside from my tanks of course. I do have reflectors in the bottom of my fins and I wear marigolds for dry gloves inside out so the are white.

... white drygloves make sense, right up to the point where you encounter a hungry wolf eel ... then they get mistaken for food ... :eek:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom