WHY Oh WHY????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is some history on the subject.

Neoprene is essentially black, and when wet suits first started to be used, that was their color. Black. When they made the TV series Sea Hunt, that created a serious filming problem. Mike Nelson was getting into some kind of undersea fight in every episode, and once the fight started, you would have no way of knowing who was who as they wrestled about. They solved that problem by painting the wet suits of all the good guys in the story silver. The paint would come off after a couple of episodes, so they had to keep repainting them.

In retrospect, Mike should have gotten wise by the third season. As soon as he spotted a diver in a black wet suit, he should have known the guy was up to no good.

A few years ago, Hollis made the decision that the United States scuba market would go big time after red, white and blue gear with stars, and they sunk a fortune into that inventory. I am told that all that unsold inventory sitting on shelves in their warehouse is one of the key reasons for their storied cash flow and inventory delivery problems over the years.

that one hurts.... especially in this thread..... a friend and a dear friend to the OP.....
View attachment 413111

j yaeger, R.I.P. buddy.....:(

Sorry about that, I couldn't possibly know the connection and have never seen any Batman scuba gear before. Cheers to your buddy for knowing how to do it right with the Batman scuba look.

Last edited:
That said, if someone finds me a legit Batman wetsuit with the pointy bat ear hood and a cape, send me the link and I'll buy it right now.

I don't know about the wetsuit and cape, but the hoods are all over Taobao. Just look for 蝙蝠侠 潜水帽子.

TB2qocbk.hnpuFjSZFpXXcpuXXa_!!729552362.jpg

Actually, if I want to buy something locally (in China), it's harder for me to find something that is not in any shade of gaudy color. I even saw some pink boltsnaps and double enders...

"Neoprene is essentially black"
Does anyone dive in plain Neoprene these days? Isn't it all about stretchy suits, with plush liners, or at least skinned with Lycra-type materials on both sides? No one can see the actual neoprene that's in the middle, and if we talk about "sharkskin" textured neoprene, there's some Ozzie company that claims "Sharkskin" is their trademark for one of the fancy new materials instead.

John, you some times remind me of the super duper PADI course director I met several years ago at the Blue Springs in NM. He stated and was very serious "There was no diving or instruction until PADI" Had never heard of LA Co UIA was some what familiar with NAUI-- had absolutely no idea where or when all the equipment was developed.

Deleted post
No interest in history by modern diver

Attachments

• upload_2017-6-7_7-14-2.png
    upload_2017-6-7_7-14-2.png
    191.6 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
A few years ago, Hollis made the decision that the United States scuba market would go big time after red, white and blue gear with stars, and they sunk a fortune into that inventory. I am told that all that unsold inventory sitting on shelves in their warehouse is one of the key reasons for their storied cash flow and inventory delivery problems over the years.
Next time I bet they will consult an American before doing something like that. Red White and Blue are great on a flag. On a person.. meh.

ohn, you some times remind me of the super duper PADI course director I met several years ago at the Blue Springs in NM. He stated and was very serious "There was no diving or instruction until PADI" Had never heard of LA Co UIA was some what familiar with NAUI-- had absolutely no idea where or when all the equipment was developed.
I don't think I said anything that was contradicted by your fine summary. I said that when Sea Hunt was on the air (starting in 1958), neoprene wet suits were black, and they had to paint some of them silver in the show. The show started only 4 years after you said Hugh Brander introduced the black neoprene wetsuit to the world.

... My wife, who has decided to get certified to dive, even though she has a fear of the water, like no one has ever seen, poses a question to me....

The like is because of I am taking my hat off to your wife ... and, no, you're wrong, I've seen it ... definitely did...

BTW.: Don't do this for contrast:
Black wetsuit or wetsuit with black and white stripes around the torso plus white gloves , maybe to be sure, just no white gloves whatever the color or pattern on the suit.
There's people out there, out to kill the mime... some of them might be divers...

Hey, let us knows how it goes with the whole endeavor...

Men all wear black tuxedos, and so they don't understand women's need to have some color!

Interesting. It may be worthwhile to ask, what is this 'need' and the basis for it? What does the color accomplish? What does it say to the wearer, or about the wearer to others, in the wearer's mind?

I miss when RJP was regularly posting; his insights into marketing were useful.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom