WHY Oh WHY????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think I said anything that was contradicted by your fine summary. I said that when Sea Hunt was on the air (starting in 1958), neoprene wet suits were black, and they had to paint some of them silver in the show. The show started only 4 years after you said Hugh Brander introduced the black neoprene wetsuit to the world
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John,
Just having fun at your expense !
Probably is bad taste and for that I apologize

However my example was a true story. I and many others are appalled at the lack of dive history, arrogance and the general attitude of so many PADI instructors.

A typical example is your and my favorite historian Alex Bryske (S) of Dive Training magazine " who began diving in 1968 BEFORE the invention of the Submersible pressure gauge..."

The SPG was in use by le Prieur in 1933 and had been on the American market for a number of years prior to 1968

But Alex is a great historian who can remember history well ..events that never happened equipment that was never produced and people who were not involved ..and Mark continues to publish his articles

sdm

I always figured it was because when the black suits started to fade, no one would care - but if your snazzy bright red fades, it'll look pink, and who wants a pink wetsuit? :wink:

I always figured it was because when the black suits started to fade, no one would care - but if your snazzy bright red fades, it'll look pink, and who wants a pink wetsuit? :wink:
I have a pink wing I'm quite fond of.

Last edited:
Interesting. It may be worthwhile to ask, what is this 'need' and the basis for it? What does the color accomplish? What does it say to the wearer, or about the wearer to others, in the wearer's mind?

Richard.
Oh Really?
If there is one gentleman here who never wore a tie dye tee shirt in his life, let him speak up!
But for those gentlemen who attended Prom in the 70's wearing pastel colored tuxedos, (with the ruffled shirts!) perhaps they are trying to forget.
People like colorful tattoos, so another style choice could be a tattoo print on, or even graffiti appliqués.
In terms of marketing, after market color addition would allow for mass production of black suits, then personalize with color and pattern at shop so you can find your suit on the drying rack.

If there is one gentleman here who never wore a tie dye tee shirt in his life, let him speak up!

Don't think I ever have; had to Google it to see what it was, then recognized the look.

What I'm getting at, is if a manufacturer wants to market a product to a demographic, it pays to know what that demographic's underlying 'need' is. Otherwise, they may go this route:

A few years ago, Hollis made the decision that the United States scuba market would go big time after red, white and blue gear with stars, and they sunk a fortune into that inventory. I am told that all that unsold inventory sitting on shelves in their warehouse is one of the key reasons for their storied cash flow and inventory delivery problems over the years.

So, is it a desire to...

1.) Simply communicate that one is female? 'Look like a girl?'
2.) For the suit to look pretty to the owner when hanging on a rack? Won't be seeing much while wearing it...
3.) For the suit to look pretty to other observers?
4.) To look 'sexy?'
5.) A need to express a message of festive/fun?
6.) Look different from other divers? If so, why? (I suspect it's more than keeping up with a buddy in a group if this is the motive). Attention seeking?
7.) A dislike for predominant black because it somehow symbolizes something objectionable?

These are just speculations for discussion. It may be something else. The point is, each hypothetical motive option is different. Knowing what customer 'problem' you're trying to solve could inform what to do. If nobody understands the problem, the 'failure' to try to solve it may be obvious, and answer the question from the original post.

Richard.

In fairness, I'll answer my questions from my (male) perspective.

I like a 'dash of color' on otherwise black gear, such as on a Henderson Thermoprene wetsuit. Blue or red, dark, not light pastel colors. And definitely no pink or highly detailed 'fu-ful' patterns. Solid black creates the appearance of a bulky mass lacking form, and reminds me of a big old tire. That streak of color adds mild visual excitement and helps convey a sense of form and subdued style.

It's not about looking sexy (chubby old married guy, not looking for trouble), getting attention (I'd rather blend), making me look fun/festive (I'm not so much), I rely on other things to make me visually distinct enough for a buddy to track, and I suspect black is seen as simple, no nonsense, functional and may appeal to a masculine outlook that admires simplicity and not a lot of high drama 'fluff.' Hadn't thought about it not showing stains, but that sounds good.

Richard.

I'll answer from the pint of view of chubby old married gal whose not looking for trouble, but spends a lot of time arranging flowers, (at home, church, gifts, holiday auctions), because they are pretty. Even if I was diving solo, flower bedecked wetsuit would make me happy. Water lilies!
but as your example of the Red white blue suits shows, mass produced can't be in color, unless added aftermarket treatments.
No big deal, I will save up for the custom one.

We liked Chris at Terrapin. She altered a Waterproof W4 for my wife and added some purple accent. She added a zipper at the crotch for me. Our needs were met.......

I tought the question would be why you took your wife diving.

As far as I know neoprene is made black becouse it's cheaper then dyeing it.
We're both off topic, but I too question why she wants to start scuba. Has she in fact been underwater on scuba yet in the course? I've always held the opinion that someone with a fear of water should absolutely overcome this well prior to scuba. Swimming in deep water, snorkeling down to 10' and up, etc. Just my opinion.

Oh Really?
If everyone is wearing tie dye, the simplest way to blend in is to wear tie dye.

What some are saying is they have an aversion to standing out. Wearing all lack at the Woodstock concert would have made you stand out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom