WHY Oh WHY????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know about you, but my farts don't leave any color behind. Quit sharting in your wetsuit! :p

As the saying goes, are two types of divers. Those who shart in their wetsuits and those who lie about it.

Although I forgot about the drysuit divers. Lucky for them the drysuit mfgs make something called a Poo-Valve, I believe it's called.

Last edited:
Seals and sea lions have dark low-constrast colors.

Ah yes, but you see it's kind of like reverse psychology.

The first divers wore colorful wetsuits. Sharks didn't attack them. They only attacked the dark seals and sea lions.

Then the seals and sea lions began dressing like the colorful human divers to stay alive. It worked for awhile (decades) but the sharks caught on.

So now we as divers need to dress like naked seals and sea lions because the sharks are expecting their meals to be colorful.

Unfortunately it's a cyclical process, so once the sharks catch on again, we'll need to switch back to colorful wetsuits.

Some folks think the wetsuit industry is conspiring with the sharks.

As the saying goes, are two types of divers. Those who shart in their wetsuits and those who lie about it.

Although I forgot about the drysuit divers. Lucky for them the drysuit mfgs make something called a Poo-Valve, I believe it's called.
For the "war"-something manoeuvre? Not quite sure I remember what it was called... :wink:

Several years ago, a new tech student asked me about equipment color, and he wanted to know why everything was black. I said I didn't know, and he could do whatever he wanted. He immediately ordered all his new regulator hoses in bright blue. I had no idea that was even possible.
One of the guys I know in the local diving community has pink drygloves, pink Jetfins and pink hoses. The rest is standard black. We recognize him pretty easily. And no, he isn't. He's straight.

I have yellow reg hoses and orange drygloves, and my suit (a Waterproof) has orange accents. My buddies recognize me easily, too, but that might just as well be because I'm always carrying a camera rig with long strobe arms sticking out to the sides.

However my example was a true story. I and many others are appalled at the lack of dive history, arrogance and the general attitude of so many PADI instructors.

Thank you Sam. As one who has an avid appreciation of history in general, and especially accurate accounts of history, it's always a treat to have first-hand accounts of how we have arrived where we have.

I feel blessed in being able to return to the sport after a 35 year absence. And, even more blessed to have folks like yourself to educate us as to how the sport has evolved.

Fletch

For the "war"-something manoeuvre? Not quite sure I remember what it was called... :wink:
Warhammer. Started in 2001. Videos. Gotta see it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John,
Just having fun at your expense !
Probably is bad taste and for that I apologize

However my example was a true story. I and many others are appalled at the lack of dive history, arrogance and the general attitude of so many PADI instructors.

A typical example is your and my favorite historian Alex Bryske (S) of Dive Training magazine " who began diving in 1968 BEFORE the invention of the Submersible pressure gauge..."

The SPG was in use by le Prieur in 1933 and had been on the American market for a number of years prior to 1968

But Alex is a great historian who can remember history well ..events that never happened equipment that was never produced and people who were not involved ..and Mark continues to publish his articles

sdm

There are several stories of "Who Made the First Wet Suite" see below for another one.
Printed in the LA Times newspaper on June 4th 2017

See: Los Angeles Times

Surfing icon who pioneered wetsuit
BY TERESA WATANABE

Jack O’Neill, the Santa Cruz entrepreneur who opened one of the world’s first surf shops and pioneered the neoprene wetsuit that helped popularize year-round cold-water surfing, has died. He was 94.

The one-eyed surfing icon, who cut a rakish figure with his black eye patch and bushy beard, died peacefully of natural causes at his Santa Cruz home, waves lapping at his deck, his family said in a statement.

Known for his colorful personality and marketing genius, O’Neill began experimenting in the early 1950s with ways to insulate swimwear so he could stay in the frigid Northern California waters longer. Surfers at the time were using sweaters sprayed with oily water sealant, he recalled in one interview.

He tinkered with foam rubber but switched to neoprene, which was lightweight and flexible. A UC Berkeley physics professor, Hugh Bradner, had created a prototype wetsuit and tested it in icy Lake Tahoe in 1950.

O’Neill claims he hit on the idea of using neoprene in wetsuits after seeing the material in the carpeting of an airliner.

Before his death in 2013, O’Neill’s chief rival, Bob Meistrell of Redondo Beach-based Body Glove International, also claimed to have pioneered the wetsuit. O’Neill and Meistrell threatened each other with lawsuits for decades.

Who actually invented the wetsuit has been described as the longest-running argument in surfing. What is not disputed is that O’Neill eventually developed an internationally known surfwear business after opening a small surf shop on Ocean Beach in San Francisco in 1952. Seven years later, he moved his family to Santa Cruz and opened a second shop.

He promoted his products with innovative ideas and marketing flair — dressing his children in his wetsuits and dunking them in ice baths at trade shows, according to Surfer magazine. He also introduced the nylon jersey lining that made neoprene more comfortable against bare skin, the magazine said. And his trademark slogan captured his brand’s elan: “It’s always summer on the inside.”

By the 1980s, O’Neill had become the world’s largest recreational wetsuit maker, and the O’Neill surf brand had gone global.

Ever the adventurer, O’Neill also was an accomplished sailor and aviator who flew hot-air balloons and invented the sandsailer, a sailboat on wheels that skirts the sand. He lost his eye in a surfing accident.

“Of all the things that Jack is known for, I think his genius for marketing and promoting stood out,” surfing historian Matt Warshaw told the San Francisco Chronicle in 2012.

But O’Neill considered O’Neill Sea Odyssey, a marine and environmental education program for children, his proudest achievement. The program, founded in 1996, has taken nearly 100,000 children to the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary aboard his 65-foot research catamaran to learn about the ocean.

“The ocean is alive, and we’ve got to take care of it,” O’Neill said about the program, according to the Associated Press. “There is no doubt in my mind that the O’Neill Sea Odyssey is the best thing I’ve ever done.”

O’Neill was born in Denver and grew up in Oregon and Southern California, where he began body surfing in the late 1930s, according to the Encyclopedia of Surfing. He moved to San Francisco in 1949 and earned a bachelor’s degree in liberal arts at San Francisco State University.

He and his wife, Marjorie, who died in 1973, raised six children.

teresa.watanabe@latimes.com

Twitter: @teresawatanabe

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Because we dream and hope and lie to ourselves that we look smaller in black. :-D

"You can have that wetsuit in any color, so long as it's black"
Jacques Ford

I was sitting here this morn drinking my pot of coffee and then it happens!!! My wife, who has decided to get certified to dive, even though she has a fear of the water, like no one has ever seen, poses a question to me. Why, she asks,is scuba gear, mostly all black in color? Then she points out that the wetsuits, gloves, masks, BCDs and the such seem to be mostly black! Then proceeds to tell me that if you use black gloves and try to signal an issue in front of a black wetsuit there is no real definition or contrast and in a low vis situation would be hard to see or discern. So now here is the QUESTION,,,why the black??? I have no answer for her and I want to finish my pot of coffee!!

I think you've all been discussing the wrong question, while ignoring the more important one.

Why, oh why, would someone who has a fear of the water want to get certified to dive? Underwater on compressed air is NOT the place to overcome that fear. That's a great way to end up injured or dead. If you want to overcome your fear of water, find a good swimming instructor ... and once you've overcome your fear of water, THEN decide to get certified to dive ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I think you've all been discussing the wrong question, while ignoring the more important one.

Why, oh why, would someone who has a fear of the water want to get certified to dive? Underwater on compressed air is NOT the place to overcome that fear. That's a great way to end up injured or dead. If you want to overcome your fear of water, find a good swimming instructor ... and once you've overcome your fear of water, THEN decide to get certified to dive ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Yes, my point way back a while. Interesting that the real question is about wetsuit colour. With fear of water why would that even be a concern?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom