Why should I get a computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good point! I've rarely come close to my NDL limit with AL80s. Mainly because of the profiles I've done. I never plan to be deep for long periods of time. And that's probaly a security measure that is 10x better than a conservative computer!

I like having my VR3. Was able to clear my deco 10 minutes before my buddy who was using vplanner. Of course I stayed down with him, but it was nice to know that I was done.

Of course that brings up another point. Your dive computer is not as useful when your buddy is using something conservative iike tables or a suunto.

Just wanted to say thanks to y'all for the replies. It was particularly interesting to see some of the details as to just how much extra bottom time a computer can buy you and for that reason I think I'll start looking into getting one. Thanks again.

You've already decided, but here are two reasons to get a computer that I have no seen written above:

You may be happy diving tables, and if you're happy with the bottom time you're getting, there's really no need to buy a computer. Except for two little things:

1) Your buddy may not be as happy as you are, using square profile tables on a multilevel dive. This may or may not be an issue for you.

2) Some boats are REQUIRING computers (or so I have read in a number of places). Silly? Yes. A problem in your area? No idea. But a fact of life? Yes. This one is the only one that, if it was to apply to an trip you were going to take, would definitely, directly affect you and mandate a computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom